“Excellent Family Site”

Castel Domaine de la Paille Basse
kent
“Excellent Family Site”
Reviewed 2 September 2013

I don't understand why some of the negative reviews - it is indeed only few km from Souillac but you need to be aware that the site is up a winding lane at top of a mountain so yes, it will take a while to get anywhere else but if you fancy some quiet, wildlife and lovely views you will find this an advantage. Although a large site , it doesn't feel it - our tent was not overlooked, or overlooking anyone else - where else can you camp in France in August and find that ? Facilities are all good - animations etc are very much French focused but it is after all in France! Would highly recommend as one of the best sites we've stayed in.

Room Tip: Some pitches near the reception are quite small - you may have a bit of a walk to the toilets from s...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Dunstable, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 August 2013 via mobile

I have just had my 4th holiday at Paille Basse.

We extended our visit to nearly 3 weeks. We go with many families from back home. Our children who are all adults now come back year after year as they love the holiday at this campsite.

Facilities are all very clean, toilets, showers and washing up areas.

Pool is great and always clean.
There are slides and pool activities throughout the day.

We enjoy the bar area and join in with the Quiz at 7 each evening before we enjoy an evening of cooking and enjoying the local wines.

I have always found the staff most helpful too.

All booked up for next years holiday. It can't come quick enough.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Amanda M
Cranfield, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 August 2013

This is our third time at this site. Beautiful. Large and shady pitches. Good pools. Evening entertainment not as good as previous years, but still OK. Toilets and showers clean, with hot water all day

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 August 2013

I stayed at paille basse campsite last week (4th-11th August)
I thought the facilities were clean and well looked after. Staff were really friendly. I had one meal at the restaurant where I had a lovely steak and creme brûlée. I would definitely recommend eating there! Great value. 2 courses for 16€!
The pool is of a good size and lots of sunbeds and very clean!
My family friends go to this campsite years after years. This is my first visit but I was very impressed and I will definitely be returning.

• Stayed August 2013
Dunstable, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 August 2013

I have been visiting this campsite for 4 years, and go to it with a large group of friends who have been returning year upon year for the last 9! The campsite is fantastic.. All the aminities are great. The staff a very friendly and couldn't be anymore helpful. The toilets, showers and wash sink area are always clean to a high standard. The washing up and hand washing for clothes area is also very clean.

The on site restaruant serves delicious food and promotes the regions speciality, which is duck/foie gras. Would highly reccommend to visit the on site restaurant. There is also a takeaway place which is open 6pm-9pm and serves yummy pizzas! The pool is of good size and is clean as is the surrounding areas. There are racing slides at the pool area which is also good fun! There is a pool snack bar selling drinks, panini's, crepes, ice creams etc. all very nice. On site shop which sells fresh french baguette/pain and croissants/pain au chocolat and pain au raisin every day. Sells other stuff too, most nesecities if you do not want to drive down to the local supermarket.

Lots to do on the campsite, weekly entertainment board put up at beginning of week with daily things happening - kids club, nightly quiz at the bar at 7pm, sports tournaments in the day (different sports such as football, swimming, boules etc). Tennis courts and football pitches on the campsite. table tennis tables and pool tables also available.

There is a night bar every night (11pm-2pm) and also a disco night (mon, weds, fri) that takes place. Once night bar/disco shut, there is also a campfire that happens. Mainly aimed at the older teenagers that attend the campsite.

Great local areas, worth going out a few days of your holiday and taking a look at surrounding areas. Sarlat and Souliac are very nice, as is Rocamador. Would definitely advise doing the canoeing down the Dordogne River - great day out!

Have always had a fantastic experience when being at Le Paille Basse and that is why I return year after year! Go check it out, its worth it!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Somerset
Reviewed 15 July 2013

Arriving in June we thought we'd try the restaurant. Various home made items were flagged on the menu. My wife chose a salad I went for the salmon tartare, both homemade. The tomato slices on my wife's salad were putrefying smelling and tasting very bad. On request the slices of tomato were scraped off the plate but the smell etc remained. Complaining about this resulted in 1) us being told the salad would cost us less as a result and 2) small tomatoes being added to the still tainted plate. With a chef who couldn't smell and didn't taste the food I was never going to try the tartare of salmon. This would have been, I thought, risky. We abandoned the meal there and then.

The next morning, checking out early, the manageress was helpful apologising profusely for the known low levels of service in the restaurant. This sounds good but why did the management allow it in the first place?

We shall never return to this potentially good campsite. Others do be warned and take care especially if eating food at this campsite.

Room Tip: There are plenty of better places to go. Do consider trying somewhere else...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Donegal Town, Ireland
Reviewed 27 June 2013

A terrible experience at an overpriced camping. Firstly they advertise that the site is 5 km from soulliac. It is in fact 20 minutes drive. If you pay with your credit card they will try to illegally take extra money without your permission. We had to contact our bank to cancel our cards and threaten legal action. This was only resolved when we got a french native speaker to sort out the situation. If you don't speak French you will not be welcome and they will try to rip you off.. Plenty of decent camping in France without letting these people ruin a good holiday. The people of Dordogne are welcoming and the region is worth a visit, just stay somewhere else.. Bon Voyage..

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
5 Thank 887RobbieJ
Famille B, Réceptionniste at Castel Domaine de la Paille Basse, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Hello Robbie,

I don't know exactly what happened last year, but I can't imagine what you say is entirely true.

First of all, my name is Michael, i've been working for the campsite for 2 years at the reception. My english is fluent (I lived in Canada, USA, and New-Zealand) as my co-workers. I never worked at the reception with people who don't speak english. So, we do speak english and we can answer to your needs and questions in that language.

Second of all, thousands of people come every year to our campsite, and hundreds of people from the UK come back every year. I am proud to say that we have a lot of foreigners coming to our campsite, and we never had any problem with "rip offs" through credit card. In two years I never heard that. I don't think that is what happened to you, I am sure it is a simple misunderstanding.

Hopefully my comment will help to change your mind on our camping and our staff. If you come back, I am sure we can definitely change it.

Anyway, I believe, as an employee here, that we do our best to satisfy our campers and our guests. It is sad if you see us otherwise.

Enjoy your next vacations in France, with us or not.

Michael.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Souillac
Hotel Belle Vue
Camping Huttopia Sarlat
Camping Huttopia Sarlat
#13 of 43 in Sarlat-la-Caneda
Residence Souillac Golf & Country Club
Residence Souillac Golf & Countr...
#1 of 1 in Lachapelle-Auzac

Been to Castel Domaine de la Paille Basse? Share your experiences!