“Disappointing”
Review of Hotel Stars Rouen

Hotel Stars Rouen
Reviewed 22 April 2014

Firstly, I found the lady working on reception to be friendly and helpful, by providing information on local restaurants etc. However, there was such a strong smell of stale cigarette smoke throughout the hotel that I struggled to really relax here.

Unfortunately our room wasn't overly clean, the toilet seat lid wasn't even attached to the toilet and the impractical (and rather claustrophobic) shower would make the whole bathroom floor wet.

Overall it was the cheapest option we could find but I don't feel that this should affect cleanliness and general maintenance.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Colite1990

Reviewed 13 August 2013

We with your friends(2 couples) stayed at this hotel on 12.6.2013. I ordered 2 double non-smoking rooms. The price was unexpectedly high, but I had no time to look for something other. As it proved to be our stay fell on the international regatta, or as they call it 'armadA'.
We arrived a little earlier and out rooms were not ready yet. The stuff at first was polite and kind. They said that there is a problem with toilets in some rooms, but the plumber works already and when we come back there will be no problem.
When we returned in the evening the plumber was gone and toilets on our rooms were not working. Furthermore our rooms were not 'non-smoking' and we failed to change them - the hotel was full because of armada.
We had awful night. When in the morning I tried to demand a compensation from the woman on the desk, her single explanation that this is because of armada. When I noticed that armada has nothing to do with non-functioning toilet, she became rude, even menaced to call the police. But I wasn't the single discontent and finally she connected me with the owner.
I told him that my voucher is a contract between him and me and I see what had happened as a breach of the contract. After some discussion he gave up and ordered to return us more than a half-price that we payed.
Terrible night, loss of time, stuff behavior - I strictly recommend NOT to book place in this Hotel.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 July 2013

We stayed in the hotel for one night to break up our journey back to the UK from Le Mans. As the title says we found it value for money. The room and the en suite are small but well laid out. The bed was very comfortable and the curtains kept the light out very well which meant that I had an excellent nights sleep. Yes the shower works off the handbasin tap but I found it perfectly adequate for purpose. We both had the buffet breakfast which was most welcome.

The three staff members we met were friendly, professional and very helpful with tips of where to eat in the evening and how to get into Rouen. They all spoke English to varying degree's which was just as well as my French is a little basic. There is a large on-site car park and the surrounding area seems quite quite.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 May 2013

I stayed at this hotel only because I couldn't find any hostels the area, and despite the cost and hearing everything through the walls it wasn't that bad (this is coming back from a backpacker though). They had a nice buffet breakfast and I liked how they decorated the rooms, it's really far away from central Rouen though.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 March 2013

No Light in the bathroom - the Lady said she would change it - but she didn't, No Toilet Paper, only one towel between 2, no plug for the sink, the shower hose ran from the hand basin taps.

This might have been cheap, but it wasn't good value for money.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 January 2013 via mobile

such a dirty place with spider's web, running bugs, Jackson pollock's carpet and Alcatraz bathroom. you won't feel alone, the neighbors conversations are really clear and the little animals are cute and silent. shall I write more...

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank Peperkakor
Reviewed 13 September 2011

We stayed for a stop over on our way back to Calais. We were a bit worried by the location as it didn't seem central at all and was nothing like the Rouen we'd seen on our previous stop over near the Cathedral. Like the other negative reviewers, the bed was horrible. We didn't sleep a wink. It stank of stale cigarettes. The mattress was very uncomfortable. The single "pillow" we each had barely justified the name. Also, the hotel is very noisy, we heard very other conversation, toilet flush and tap throughout the hotel. The "double" room was very small and came with one towel, one complementary plastic beaker and one complementary soap. The shower only worked when you used the plug to jam it on. Even the water from the tap smelled horrid. We left as soon as we could and we won't be visiting again. Do yourself a favour pay the extra 20E to stay at Coeur de City Rouen Cathedrale.

Room Tip: Don't choose room 16.