“Great stay”

Ranked #24 of 48 Morzine B&B and Inns
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Great stay”
Reviewed 31 March 2013

Found Jules and Lesley's fab ski chalet by chance last year (10 days) and went back again this year (7 days). Really good location for getting up and off to the pistes with the ever kind and helpful staff making sure you get out to the mountain when you want and with all the gear you need (if you haven't got your own, or forgot it, or need your boots tweaked or anything). They'll sort all sort of details for you with enough notice and that makes for a fabulously smooth and relaxed stay. The chalet accommodation is warm and friendly with a great fire and a cosy sitting area. Breakfast and dinner are always delicious and plenty to keep you fuelled up for a day's skiing. Although the chalet is down a bit and a short drive from the lifts (comfy transfers included), we've always been lucky to have snow all around us, even sitting in the hot tub at the end of the day. This is a great place to kick back and relax; both visits we have been a couple travelling alone and each time have shared some great conversations and laughs around the dinner table. Whenever we ski in this area, Chalet Entre Deux Eaux will be top of our list.

Room Tip: All rooms warm, quiet and comfortable. Bathroom facilities vary - not all have a bath, some just a s...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
ski-nation, Owner at Entre Deux Eaux, responded to this review, 7 April 2013
Many thanks - we enjoyed having you both here again.
Regards J & L

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
london
Reviewed 29 March 2013

I stayed there with a group of 11 scientists, and I did not feel welcome at all. The owners made several negative comments to various members of the group for small things like forgetting their ski pants, eating too much cake, asking for another serving of porridge, and making various other trivial requests. One guest in our group was told by one of the 'hosts' that in all her years in this business, she had never seen somebody with as much attitude. You're in the hospitality business, so keep your disparaging comments to yourself, especially when you are charging nearly 3000 Euros for two nights. Maybe you should use some of that to make a little more porridge, so you don't have to turn down a paying guest? To be fair, there were some positive gestures, like spending some of your time with the beginning skiers, but unfortunately there were more than outweighed by your unwelcoming comments to your guests...

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
ski-nation, Owner at Entre Deux Eaux, responded to this review, 5 April 2013
We thank you for your view. We do seem to have had more problems with our porridge service during this one weekend than could possibly be imagined and I would refer you to my previous response on that subject should anymore discussion be needed. A few points of correction - you were 12 in your group, which went up briefly to 13 when you had someone join your group for an afternoon.
I would like to say that we have received a very nice, kind email from the organiser of the group who has pointed out that the views expressed by the previous reviewer were certainly not those of the entire group.The comments you refer to were not made to you I believe and I wonder if you are fully appraised of the facts. The person who was told had an attitude problem point blank refused to apologise for losing her temper, and was told she had no right to shout at me and staff and accuse us of stealing her old 'borrowed' boots when she had in fact, stowed away into her luggage, a pair of our staffs boots of an entirely different colour to the ones she had mislaid. I pointed out that in many years in the service industry and 50 years on this earth I had never been spoken to so disparagingly - service industry or no - no-one has the right to address anyone like that, no matter what they have paid.
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 March 2013

I am part of a party that has visited Entre Deux Eaux 4 times and we are already booked for 2 more visits which speaks volumes in itself. Julie and Lesley are rightly proud of their chalet and work hard to maintain a very high standard. The accommodation is spotless with high quality towels and linen and the food is sublime. I would echo another review that it is "too good to tell anyone about" which is why I have never reviewed before but I was moved to do so when I saw the latest review. Perhaps they had never been on a chalet holiday before? Perhaps they have very low standards? Who knows. If you want to visit a beautiful part of the world with fantastic slopes and be pampered by very knowledgeable hosts then this is the place for you!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
ski-nation, Owner at Entre Deux Eaux, responded to this review, 7 April 2013
Thanks so much, looking forward seeing you all again in July.
Regards J & L
Basel, Switzerland
Reviewed 25 March 2013

As part of a business trip (half fun on the slopes, half serious work) we visited the Chalet on the weekend before Easter with a group of 12 persons. My overall impression was quite negative: Despite the spotlessness of the rooms, the good food, the hot tub, the beautiful lounge the owners managed to make you feel as barely tolerable intruders into their private home (where they actually live, too). This feeling arose by an sheer endless list of sharp comments/educational remarks/rude and zero hospitality remarks:
A few examples:
- Oliver Twist 2013: If you ever wanted to know, how Oliver Twist felt when asking for more porridge, I recommend this chalet: Asking for a second of serving of porridge, it was denied - you already had one.
- The cake:
Nearly finishing with 13 (!) participants a lemon cake, we were afterwards criticized for our greediness - we did evidently not leave enough for the other two guests of the hostel.
- "We never saw guests coming from so close (i.e. Switzerland) and being nonetheless so badly equipped" - background: only few of us brought their swimming suits, ski pants were forgotten and we did not bring our own screen for our presentation session."
- Someone daring to ask for Oregano to spice up his breakfast egg commented very sharply "We never had such requests!".
In summary: one of the hosts was a former teacher, and if you ever want to be bossed around as you really hated it in school, go for it!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank pastapanna
ski-nation, Propriétaire at Entre Deux Eaux, responded to this review, 28 March 2013
Thankyou for your review. I will respond with a few observations and the general public will be able to make their own deductions.
You, a group of 12 scientists, arrived for a weekend of work with some skiing, with a projector for your presentation but no screen to project onto. We offered you varous other equipment and quickly found a solution for your problem by using a piece of our artwork for you to project onto. Power adapters & extension cable and other bits & pieces were all supllied quickly and efficiently. This is a ski chalet & Chambre d'hotes not a conference centre so I feel we should be commended for coming up with the goods in the way that we did.
Several of you arrived for some skiing without the correct equipment so 3 pairs of varying sizes of ski pants were found, then later a pair of swimming shorts were provided and yes we did quip that for a group that has travel from so near for such a short stay you had a large amount of requirements that had to be fulfilled.
One of your group had brought equipment that was all the wrong size - so we organised hire equipment.
You were asked politely to let us know who might eat porridge for breakfast as it takes time to prepare and we did not wish to delay you, several people said they did not eat it.
Some of these people then decided that they did wish to have it, then asked for more, so as every action has an opposite reaction, you can imagine that if people who have not ordered something then want it, it means that something has to give. Either we have to say sorry not possible or someone who has ordered it has to go without. Which should we have done?
You had booked accommodation and food for 12 - so if you suddenly add an extra person into the mix, then the cake, that will easily serve 15 on any other week of the year will be stretched. However if everyone takes a fair portion and is considerate of other guests we know that the cake will serve 15, so no problem. However if one or two people decide to take more than their fair share and are inconsiderate of other guests then we have a problem. You were not the only guests staying here so we have to consider the needs of all our guests not just yours.

The bossy teacher you mention then on her free time took 5 of the less confident skiers up for equipment, carried skiis, gave advice on how to ski to those that needed it, even to the point of one of the group saying that he got more from skiing with her than a 2 hour ski lesson - but oddly you don't mention that. Then we come to Oreganogate - if you must quote people please do it it with some degree of accuracy. What was said was - that was among one of the more special requests we have had -and it was said with a broad smile - he was then offered various fresh and dried herbs. I fail to see the problem apart from perhaps a cultural problem in understanding a different sense of humour.
We moved dinner time on both nights to accommodate you.
We accommodated a late notification of a dietary requirement with no fuss.
We agreed that your baggage could be left in the chalet for a pick up at around 1pm, now although we understood that you were never going to be exactly on time we would have appreciated a call to ask if it would be Ok to leave it longer. We had to call your group after 5pm to enquire what time we could expect you. The chalet was finally vacated around 6pm.
Sæby, Nordjylland, Denmark
Reviewed 15 September 2012

We were 13 bikers that visited the Morzine-Avoriez area for a week in the beginning of september 2012. We found this chalet on the internet, ordered and payed for a week, and I was a little excited when we arrived, whatwe have payd for.
I am sure, that we couldn't have found a better place to stay. There was absolutely nohing to complain about. And after a hard days work on the bikes, the Hot Top was just fine

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Kranerne
Manchester, England
Reviewed 14 June 2012

We stayed as a large group over Easter for a week at the Entre Deux Eaux. Some of us were a bit put off by the previous negative comments about the chalet, it seems the owners, Lesley and Julie were more worried about having another large group. It was shocking to hear that they were only there for a short stay too!

Our pickup and drop-offs at the airport were seamless and it was a very easy transfer, I’m always grateful for this – I hate the usual pickups with the big tour companies.

The chalet, although at the time of year, not exactly in the snow was not too far from the snow, and everyone was very accommodating in pick-up times too and from the slopes, the ski bus pickup stop wasn’t too far away and when we fancied a lie in to leave the ski schoolers to it one morning, our boots and ski’s were taken up the slopes for us!

The food was without doubt, absolutely excellent – every night. Breakfasts were also good and I looove the cake!

Our bed was really comfortable – welcome after a long day skiing. As was the hot tub. Again I agree with the previous reviewers, never a problem with hot water.

I was having some problems with my boots and my general skiing – have been the last few times I’ve been, but Lesley in particular was a great help – her experience as a boot fitter proved very useful and stopped me having a week of agony.

We were escorted around the resort by Susan, Lesley and Julie on various days who not only helped us with our skiing, got us familiar with how much the ski area had to offer.

Yes there were a few rules, I don’t think anyone had a problem with them – to be fair I’ve forgotten what they were now, but it was more to keep the place clean and tidy and just to keep the place in good working order. Ultimately a chalet is not a hotel, it is the owners home and often pride and joy, you have to be mindful and respectful of those around you too.

I don’t think you can really knock Lesley and Julie for their organisational skills, genuine concern for everyone’s enjoyment of their holidays and their care and attention for their chalet. They had also selected some excellent helpers on Susan and Tom who also made our holiday such a good one.

This was undoubtedly the best week I’ve spent skiing (possibly not my best skiing, but that’s more my problem!) …….. I really didn’t want to leave such a good review and tip everyone off about this place and make it more difficult for me to book next time!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank TallTravellerUK
Paris, France
Reviewed 8 March 2012

It was my first winter break in Europe, and I wondered where to go. Then I decided to go skiing, for the first time, and alone. I didn't expect it turned out to be the best experience ever!

I really had the luck that on the arrival day, an unusual rainstorm with violent wind blasted over France and my train was delayed. By the time I arrived at station, the shuttle bus had left and there were two more hours to the next one. I called Lesley and she at once said she could come to pick me up.

The chalet was located in Montriond, a small and quiet town close to Morzine. It was such a cozy dreamhouse! The sofa, the lamp, the fireplace, the shelves, the glimmering glasses on the dining table, how nice! I stayed at a "small" double bedroom according to what Julie told me in email, but I found it spacious and very comfortable. I especially liked the bedside lamps, feeling like home :)

Then came the amazing dinner. Julie was certainly the master of cuisine, one time when we talked about one ingredient that didn't really add much flavor to the dish and the young girl of the family staying at the same time as me asked so why you put it, Julie answered, that's to make a whole picture in your mouth. I was so impressed by this it's so poetic and you are not able to say such words unless you treat the food in a really serious way. Every dinner was a feast, I should have taken the photos of all the food with captions and made an album out of it, haha. And it would be a great idea that Julie open a class of cuisine, maybe another blue ribbon cooking school!

Well, there were more surprises to come. This was the first time I went for skiing so I was not so well-equipped, I didn't bring long thick socks, didn't bring water-proof gloves, brought only normal sun-glasses...(Hmm it's really not my usual style :P) Julie and Lesley helped me dress up, and lent me their equipment very generously. One day the weather was worse and it was windy and cold, they again lent their nice jumper and water and wind-proof outdoor jacket to me, joking that I had two moms :P I've travelled alone for many years and though myself as quite independent and courageous, but I was really moved by their thoughtfulness and consideration.

Ah, and there was the hot bath. It was real fun, soaked in it while surrounded by snow laughing and joking.

I'm now not surprised reading about people coming back year after year, because that's what I want to do too! I really miss your company, Julie and Lesley, hope you are not too busy and also have fun there! :)

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo