“Great child-friendly chalet”

and 1 more site!
Chilly Powder
Ranked #5 of 50 Hotels in Morzine
Reviewed 7 January 2014

This Christmas was our third time staying with Chilly Powder, two of which were Christmas stays. We enjoyed our holiday a great deal and will happily come back. Some pros and cons of our experience:

Being in a family run chalet is really appealing and certainly feels very different from staying in a small hotel or rented apartment. Francesca, Paul and Nick, and rest of staff are very friendly, welcoming, patient, and most importantly are available when their help is needed.

For example, in our 1st year, we were not happy with the ski instructor our daughter's group had due to a specific incident, and Francesca was able to re-arrange things around with the ski school, so our daughter could ski with a different instructor.

We always found the team willing to give help and advice.

Quality of instructors has been good otherwise. I would not necessarily say that they all speak excellent english (reasonable describes it better), but what's more important, is that they all have a great way with kids, and a really good attitude to teaching kids. for me this is more important than language. My two girls absolutely loved their ski lessons and made excellent progress.

We used child care on two out of three holidays (did not need it this last holiday) and found it excellent. Head nanny Katie is exceptional, and runs a tight ship. i was very comfortable leaving my girls there. they enjoyed it so much that on some days they told me I needed to wait until they finished their games when i came to pick them up.

The staff are brilliant with kids, even the ones who really don't have to be - eg. manager, barman, waiters. it makes for very happy kids on holiday, albeit at the expense of staff who end up getting several kids on their lap at a time.

Hottub is a great fun option, enjoyed by both adults and kids.

The barman has really impressed me by remembering my favourite drink one full year on - they must keep good records for returning guests! bar service is excellent and with a smile.

The rooms are pretty tight and there is little room for drying out all the wet clothes, but can be done. If you want to be comfortable, book a better room type. We did not, and we could feel the squeeze for space.

The food is generally good, but varies throughout the day. Breakfast was ok but not great. We felt that hot food choices were better in the years we stayed before than this year. There were fewer and less exciting choices this year.

One thing I would really love to change is quality of coffee at breakfast - in a country where every hut serves great coffee, it remains distinctively non-french at chilly powder. in mar-12 it seemed good, but since dec-12, and recently in dec-13 we really did not enjoy coffee served with breakfast. you can pay for one from an espresso machine if you wish, but i always opted for one on the slopes.

Afternoon tea is very nice and varied.

Kids dinner was a real low-light this last visit. There was no meat-fish-chicken on a number of days, just veges and carbs. Some of the popular choices the kitchen ran out of before even half the kids have eaten (like sausages). This seemed out of character compared to the very high quality of food served at chilly powder otherwise, so i am sure will be fixed promptly. I struggled to find things to give to my fussy-ish two little girls, but some of the teenage boys had a really hard time with dinners without meat of any kind. I also find 5.30pm is somewhat early and means that we could not fit any family activities after a day skiing, and a little rest, before kids dinner. so one can't dash to morzine or even take a hot tub without being late. to the credit of staff, i was never turned away or reprimanded for turning up late for kids dinner. also, staff were kind enough to bring us some ice-cream for dessert instead of the desserts on offer.

Adults dinner was a highlight. Fantastic food, great choices, excellent wines on tap, brilliantly efficient service. I was always full at the end of dinner, and enjoyed the food. Similarly to one other reviewer, I would not mind having one or two nights with more relaxed food choices, like lasagne or pasta or whatever served buffet-style. I seem to crave simpler, hearty foods on skiing holiday. can't indulge in those at lunch as i'd have to roll down the mountain after that…

Customer service attitude amongst staff is brilliant - they don't hesitate to interrupt their own meal or another activity to answer to the guests' needs (was not intended of course, but happened a couple times).

One slight nudge regarding the room - we stayed in Irish room both this and last year. There is a small issue with water dripping from the sink, which makes the bathroom floor wet. I raised it last year, and found it in same state this year. The manager said it had been looked at, but seemed to require extensive work, so had not been done. Might need to provide an extra floor towel to permanently keep the dripping under control.

Despite some small things described above, this remains a wonderful holiday, and a great chalet with lovely hosts. We will be coming back, provided we manage to book early enough - the place seems to be getting booked up earlier by the year.

1  Thank Suslik29
941ChillyPowder, Owner at Chilly Powder, responded to this reviewResponded 14 January 2014

Thank you for your lovely review Maria and good luck with the new baby - Andy has leveled the sink and we are hoping that will solve the drip, if not we will have to replace the sink at the end of the season - I'm sorry it was still dripping, nobody had reported it to me recently so I wasn't aware of a problem. I am so glad the girls did well in their ski lessons this winter, please thank them for all of their crackers they made for us.
Good luck and see you with one extra next year!

Reviewed 7 January 2014

Just returned from our 4th stay at Au Coin du Feu in Morzine/Avoriaz with Chilly Powder. We had another truly excellent holiday, which the children (ages 6, 3 and 9 months) enjoyed immensely. Francesca and Paul have an amazing set up and the whole team were great, evident in the fact that many of the staff stay on for a number of years. The location is perfect you can literally ski into the hot tub in the back garden and the walk to the prodain express lift (5 mins or so to the middle of Avoriaz) is very short walk away. The kids in the crèche did all sorts of fun activities like sledging, horse and carriage ride, hot chocolate up the mountain, igloo building and many games inside. The eldest would be taken up to and picked up from the ESF lessons (chilly powder even have an arrangement with the ESF allowing the kids to leave their skis and poles in the office). New years eve was great fun, the kids firework display, fancy dress theme, which everyone got involved in, and some choice moves on the dance floor late into the night! Food was great, glasses were always full with wine from the very attentive Richie the bar man. We are already booked in for the same week next year as are at least 80% of the other guests staying there so you need to be forward thinking to get in! Im starting to think i shouldnt have given such a glowing report as it will only make it harder for us to get rooms in following years!

1  Thank mattarvo

Thank you for your lovely review, I think your moves were the best! Next year I hope that we can do a dance off and have a repeat performance. I'm glad the girls had fun in the creche and they were just lovely, as always - See you again soon

Reviewed 7 January 2014

We stayed with your 2 children over Christmas and had a great time.

Staff
Everyone was extremely friendly and helpful - right from being greeted from our transfer by Nick and given a tour whilst Richie took our bags to our room.
There were plenty of staff to meet all of our needs and were both responsive and proactive.
Richie at the bar had the uncanny knack of knowing everyone's name immediately and what their drink was.
Nick, the ski guide, was absolutley brilliant and the kids loved him - he provided a sense of continuity and reassurance for everyone who went on their lessons. These also worked well as the group sizes were moderately small and only consisted of children from Chilly Powder which worked really well.

Food and Drink
We found that the food for the adults was of a very high standard. The wine was also good and extremely plentiful. Yes, on a couple of occasions the veg did appear a bit after the main and that one table got served quicker that the other, but this is extremley minor. My only disappointment was in the choice for the kids' meals - the quality was great but I think there should have been safer plain options such as grilled chicken and fish instead of pumpkin stew (delicious but hardly touched by the children) or cauliflower cheese.

Accomodation
Lovely dining room with real fire, cosy bar- never really felt crowded other than the first day breakfast when everyone was up at exactly the same time. Everywhere is very tastefully decorated. The adults only library was a great quiet haven.
Rooms were all different - we stayed in Savoyarde where an extra bed was added to fit in a second child, and although it was tight, there was enough room for all 4 of us - and anyway, we hardly spent any time there.
It was also extremely quiet and we never heard any noise from the other rooms.
My only comment about improvement would be the Children's Room which was very small and did not have comfortable seating but the children tended to be in each other's rooms instead anyway. Also, the ski room is quite cramped.
The hot tub was great too - it was nice to have a glass of champagne in there on Christmas Eve.

Locationwise, it was only a short walk to the great new Prodains chair lift - but if you are looking for somewhere lively in the evening (which we weren't) there is very little around. You will need to get a bus (almost directly opposite the chalet) to get to Morzine for this.

Overall, a great choice especially if you want to pay for extra childcare (which we didn't use) and you want somewhere with good food and a welcoming atmosphere.

1  Thank kenny_lynch

Thank you for your lovely review and making the time to write about us - We are hoping (as long as the banks and planning permission say yes) we will have a new spa and ski room for 2015 which will be a blessing for everyone and a lot larger than the present area. Also your comments about the pumpkin for the kids, I totally agree with you, we have a set menu that I write at the beginning of the season and for reasons totally unknown to me, the chefs changed some of the menus. This has been resolved. Unless you have children, you have no idea what they like and don't like. Pumpkin is delicious for adults but not a kids choice so we do apologise about that. The chefs now understand that we choose menus for a reason!
The new button lift next to the hotel is now up and running which is a great asset as it is free for the kids to play on.
We hope to see you again at Chilly Powder and thank you again for writing about us

Reviewed 6 January 2014

We absolutely loved our stay at Chilly Powder for Christmas week. Excellent, attentive, friendly service and lots of family fun. The child-care team were fantastic, and it was nice that we did not have to worry about keeping our daughter entertained all the time. We appreciated the convivial atmosphere but also the ability to find a quiet corner. The food was lovely, and while I appreciate gastronomic cuisine as much as anybody I also don't see anything wrong with a big pot of chili during a ski holiday week ;-) Chilly Powder Chili! Feel free to use that idea, I'll send you a recipe.... Seriously, though, our only minor complaint was we wished there were more variety in the kids dinners but that's only because our daughter chose to eat plain spaghetti noodles and ham for every meal -- not sure she would have chosen any differently had there been more choice. Anyway, hope to see y'all again sometime soon.

1  Thank Craig W

Thank you for your lovely review and making the time to write about us - I am so glad you enjoyed your stay with us
The new button lift next to the hotel is now up and running which is a great asset as it is free for the kids to play on and a lesser walk to the main cable car.

Reviewed 5 January 2014

What a perfect way to spend the Christmas week! We took our three children aged 6 months, 3 and 6 and we were all looked after and catered for by the staff at Chilly Powder brilliantly. All the staff were attentive and polite even when under the pressures of dinner service and Richie the barman embodies everything that is good about the company and Nick was always on hand to help with absolutely anything. The nanny service was outstanding getting our 3 and 6 year olds to separate ESF ski schools (organised by Chilly Powder) and looking after our 6 month old in the creche perfectly situated on the ground floor of the chalet. The chalet itself sits just yards from the Prodains cable car and as the snow fell it was great fun to ski back to the garden of the chalet.
We have skied with our children on a number of occasions previously and we have never found it so easy and so well organised as it has been with Chilly Powder this Christmas. I would recommend them to anyone and will hopefully be back next Winter.

1  Thank scottiescott

Thank you all for your lovely review and making the time to write about us - I am so glad you enjoyed your stay with us and had a special Christmas with the kids. We try really hard to make everything run as smoothly as possible, occasionally there are his ups but Paul and I eat, sleep, breathe Chilly Powder so we are so glad you enjoyed it so much.

Reviewed 5 January 2014

Returning from a great week skiing in Portes de Soleil, and a very relaxing and fun time staying at Chilly Powder, at the foot of the Prodains chair lift in Morzine.
The skiing was more difficult this year, due to lighter snow conditions than in the past two years, and a couple of very blizzard mornings, making one grateful for a safe haven in which to return. Chilly Powder delivered this once again.
The "usual suspects" of the staff again made the family feel very welcome - Nick, the GM, and Richie, the barman, stand out once again; and this was accentuated by some good new faces - this ladies serving the meals were very pleasant to both adults and children, and Nick the new "ski nanny" was great, and especially helpful when we personally had an issue with the ESF ski coaching for our son - listened well, responded politely, took time to see the child & instructor and made a good decision, which panned out very well for all concerned. Seamless.
I always read the reviews of the current season, but can only speak for the direct experience of my family and me. We had a really good experience - apart from the now longer walk to the faster lift. Upsides - no queueing; downsides - need to get fitter, or persuade son to carry skis.
We are going back, and have booked again.

Room Tip: Had Indian room for last two years; really good & spacious. On the top floor, so have decided t...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank PaulNotts67
941ChillyPowder, Owner at Chilly Powder, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2014

Thank you Paul so much for your lovely review and we really appreciate the time you've taken to write something about us - New Year was lovely and we all had loads of fun and everyone made such a great effort with their costumes. We know that we will be seeing you again this year so in the mean time have a good start to 2014 and we look forward to catching up with you all again soon Francesca and Paul x

Reviewed 5 January 2014

We've just returned from a New Year break with Chilly Powder and we had a fabulous time. After a very early start, we arrived at the airport and was greeted by the taxi service which was organised by Chily Powder and our holiday truly began. After a smooth transfer to the chalet we were instantly greeted with a warm welcome by Nick. It was great to be back in familiar surroundings and the kids knew exactly where to go and what to do. Sadly for them they had to wait 4 hours before they could go crazy in the hot tub! We were however, able to get a few bonus ski hours in before we were able to get into our room. Nick kindly organized for us to get our ski hire equipment early, which I must comment was excellent and we even got brand new ski's. After returning from skiing, we went to our room, which is always a cosy and warm retreat and instantly bumped into old friends. The rest of the holiday was excellent. We really enjoyed the food, it was a well balanced menu and not too rich or overbearing. The kitchen a and serving staff were attentive to our special dietary requirements and made some gorgeous alternative dishes. Richie is always fab and as mentioned in other reviews, he remembers all of the guests names and their drinks. He makes sure your glass in topped up during the meal. We thought the kids food was the best yet, there were plenty of varied meals for the kids to enjoy and there was rarely anything left on their plates. We didn't need to use the crèche this year, however, the kids were booked into the ski lessons. My daughter was a bit nervous on the first day and Nic was amazing at looking after her. The New Year party was the best yet, pretty much everyone made an effort to dress up in fancy dress costumes, including the staff. We had a great laugh and there were a few sore heads the next day. Francesca, Paul and the kids were regularly around to see and Francesca joined us for evening meals. To top it all, the weather was great, the skiing was fun and the company (friends old and new) was simply perfect. In fact, we've already booked again for next New Year and can't wait! Thanks to the Chilly Powder team for a great holiday, have a great year and keep up the good work.

1  Thank T0mL0u

Thank you all for your lovely review and making the time to write about us - I am so glad you enjoyed your stay with us - It's great having all the old faces returning back year after year but seeing the kids getting so big is too scary as that means we are getting older and older! Yikes We really appreciate the time you've taken to write and we are looking forward to seeing you next year - Hopefully sooner