“Everything you need and a little more”
Review of Chalet Le Montana

Chalet Le Montana
Ranked #87 of 144 Speciality Lodging in Morzine
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Everything you need and a little more”
Reviewed 4 February 2014

Stayed here 3 times now and everytime has been perfect, friendly helpful staff and good size rooms makes for everything you need and want from a chalet. bike workshop has everything you could need for the things that go wrong too

Room Tip: any rooms here are decent
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Blackburn, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 February 2014

My 'friend' (and I use the word loosely) arranged (and I use that word even more loosely) a group holiday at The Chalet Montana in January (2014). The arranging part basically involved her giving me a date range in January and the e-mail address for some guy called 'Zeb'! After booking flights to Geneva (I had to work out myself that this was the closest airport) I sent an e-mail to Zeb with my needs - Transfer, Bed, Food, Board, Boots + Pass. A few quick e-mails and relatively painless payments everything was sorted (it would take you longer in a travel agents). My 'friend' had previously stayed and could not speak highly enough of the hospitality of Zeb, Aime + the Team and they certainly didn't disappoint.

If you are looking for impersonal yet polite service and identikit accommodation that leaves you wondering where you are in the world, then this is not the place for you.
If you are looking for clean, comfortable, friendly, welcoming accommodation that feels like home after a few days then I would highly recommend the Chalet Montana.

Where else would the owner offer you his jacket to keep you warm while you get fitted in the on-site hire shop (luckily for him he didn't leave his wallet in it)? The food was wholesome, tasty and plenty with red wine included with the evening meal.

The only disappointment was the picture of a poorly proportioned gentleman's 'meat and 2 veg' that someone had trod into the snow on the front lawn. I think the perpetrator should go to art lessons...or anatomy lessons.

This chalet must attract a certain type of traveller, who is happy to shirk en-suite facilities in favour of a place where it's easy to fall into conversation with other guests (especially in the otherwise awkward situation of the sauna), have the Chalet dog trying to hump their leg and down Jagerbombs whilst wearing a blonde curly wig. Trust me I've stayed in more corporate hotels than I dare to remember but I've yet to find a HolidayInn, Hilton or Ibis that has a 'dressing up' basket in the games room.

I could list other useful information such as distance to Morzine, bus services, transfer times, which room has the best view but you've got the internet (and other more useful reviews) for that. The real appeal of Chalet Montana is it's people.

Looking forward to going back.

Kevin

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 January 2014

Having read all the positive reviews and had some upbeat communications with Zeb, we were looking forward to staying in this chalet. When we pitched up there was nobody about. We managed to locate a room full of people slumped on the chairs with their feet up on the furniture. ..... the staff!! We managed to stir one of them to show us to lazily to our room. The room was tiny, two very small beds with stained and torn, but probably clean, bed linen with one pillow on each that was full of foam chunks. There was a small table and a very small wardrobe with a couple of equally small shelves and a basin in the corner. There were no bedside tables, no lamps, just one dim ceiling light,. and the curtains were missing 30% of there hooks. The towel was fractionally bigger than a hand towel and smelled of cigarette smoke. The one toilet and one shower on the landing was two thirds of the way down and were far from inviting. the floors throughout the entire building were covered brown shiny tiles that would not be out of place in a public toilet. Not even a rug in the bedroom!!
We had booked 'half board' and when we asked what time dinner was we were told there wasn't any as it was the staff night off!! We lasted long enough to browse the net on our phone and find a room in the Auberge just up the road where the rooms were ensuite, carpeted, decent cupboards, bedside tables...with lamps... and FANTASTIC food ....and ....really really good value!
AVOID THIS CHALET ..... you will be very disappointed!!

Room Tip: AVOID staying there!!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
zeb p, Owner at Chalet Le Montana, responded to this review, 2 February 2014
Dear Vicky557,

I'm very sorry that you had such a terrible, if brief, experience at the chalet, but thank your for your review nonetheless, all customer feedback will be taken into consideration and actioned upon, whether positive or negative.

As you did not actually stay at the Chalet nor did you pay any kind of deposit, i'm not actually sure that you are entitled to a review on tripadvisor, but either way you'll be pleased to hear that the Staff have have been dealt with accordingly and I have implemented a strict 'no lazing' policy, removed the coffee table that they had their feet up on and also stripped them of their weekly day off... let's see how they like that!!!

As for your room, none of the staff were able to tell me how tall you were ( once I had managed to coerce the lazy good-for-nothings into speaking) and i think this might have had something to with your perception of the room and furnishings sizes.

I , for example, am 6' 6" so many things appear small to me, (children and 1/2 pint glasses being two such things) BUT i have a friend who is only 5' 2" tall and things that appear small to me actually appear large to him, he once mistook a cat for a tiger and can is not allowed on some fairground rides!!.... does this help explain it?

I think I can agree with you that the linen was probably clean, although I would have to check with the cleaning company to 100% confirm this. The missing bedside tables and lamps can be explained by a recent visit from a "feng Shui' expert, who instructed us to remove them at once, as they were 'f*cking with my chakra' (his words not mine). The absent rug can be explained quite simply- to allow guests more chance to examine the quality of the tiling throughout the chalet, something which has not gone unnoticed by the yourself, I see.

Not many people know this but the intricate tiled floor of the Montana is actually an exact replica in terms of both colour and pattern of that found in Versailles*. It is a shame that you are not able to appreciate the craftsmanship of the flooring,,, I feel, that like a fine wine, the floor of the Montana just gets better with each passing year, but each to their own.

It was an unfortunate error on my behalf to have not informed you that there was no food on a wednesday evening, for this I can only apologise, but I have not beaten myself up about it too much as I feel that the use of our internet** to find alternative accommodation must have softened the blow somewhat, the food would probably have been terrible anyways***, so you dodged another bullet there!!

As for the Auberge, well. I am not ashamed to admit that I have long cast an envious eye over the quality (and size) of their cupboards, the depth and waft of their fine carpets and their cursed bedside tables......This is the last straw I tell you....THE LAST STRAW! I have had quite enough of this meddling 'auberge' and their damned ensuited-ways, tomorrow i intend to instruct my lawyer to purchase this 'Auberge' and once in my possession I shall not hesitate to remove all bedside furniture, tile over the deep shag carpet, reduce cupboard size by 50% and remove at least 31% of all curtain hooks.****

Who's had the last laugh now?

Yours,

Zeb

*Public toilets, versailles visitors centre

** Internet free for paying guests, so actually an act of theft.

*** Food not terrible, My wife actually cooks very good food.

*** Auberge du Mont rond, is actually a very, very nice place and a great alternative to the Montana if we are full, in fact my Dad is staying there next week. And they do a lovely fondue.
Reviewed 21 August 2013

Great hosts, great location, great prices. At 25 pounds per night for B and B in the summer it was great value for money. Staff all super helpful, room clean and tidy and facilities good. Secure bike storage was great and the use of a mechanic very handy. If you want 5 star this is not the place for you but otherwise top drawer. Thank you Zeb and Amie for a top week

• Stayed August 2013
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 May 2013

When you get up at 5am and drive for over ten hours you need to know that when you arrive at your accommodation you will be greeted with a warm welcome and somewhere to relax in good company, and when we arrived at Chalet Montana we were not disappointed.
Zeb and Aime are great hosts and run the chalet in a manner that makes your stay relaxing and enjoyable, especially if you are trying your hardest to break yourself on the many downhill tracks that are on offer in the area.

Having secure bike storage and on site bike tech is a must when traveling with you precious downhill bike.

Having a bar serving ice cold beer and an amazing deck at the rear where you can relax in the evening sun after a hard day riding is an absolute treat.

This was our second stay at the Montana and we would always come back.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
Bishop Auckland,, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 March 2013

Just spent a wonderful week at Chalet Le Montana. The staff were great, the food was superb and the accommodation whilst basic was spotlessly clean and serviceable. Zeb and Amy (the owners) really do a great job and give the place a really laid back vibe though you know that like the proverbial swan there must be a lot of work going on beneath the surface to have such a smooth running business. The facilities; sauna, bar (very reasonable prices), lounge/TV room etc are ideal after a day on the slopes. For value for money I think that Le Montana will be hard to beat. Looking forward to staying there next year.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
Plymouth, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 March 2013

Good fun, great location, vibrant atmosphere excellent hosts & staff.
Food was lovely.(Afternoon cakes amazing)
Brilliant value for couples ,small groups or the larger group. Transfers & ski passes arranged.
Ski & board hire available, servicing of personal equipment if you've forgotten from last season.
Rooms are basic but you should be skiing all day and Apres at night!!!!! A loyalty bar ,Sauna & games room.
The 75M walk to the free ski bus is as handy as it gets.
Second visit to the Montana for winter already booked for 2014 - Good for the mountain biking in summer too!!
Cheers to Zeb, Amie & team Montana