“Three years on and still going strong!”

Chalet Hotel StarLight
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Morzine
Chalet Hotel StarLight
Ranked #42 of 49 Morzine B&B and Inns
Reviewed 9 January 2013

Once again we travelled to Morzine for Christmas and once again we stayed at the Starlight. As with our previous visits we were given a very warm welcome by all the staff and especially by El and Clarissa the owners. Our room was lovely with really comfy beds and a beautiful walk in shower, which I struggled to persuade my children to walk out of! The childrens' meals were good staple fare which they happily tucked into every evening, clearing their plates on most occasions. There is also a new playroom with a big tv, dvd and x-box if they like electronic entertainment or a playhouse, ball pit and games for the younger children. Our own meals were varied and satisfying and once again we were helped to order in pizza on the staffs' night off. Steve the chef does a great job of catering to a large and varied dinning room As I say, yet again we had a great trip and a big chunk of that is down to the Starlight. We'll probably be back next Christmas and if we are I know exactly where I'll be staying and I can't say better than that!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Bushbabes

Reviewed 9 January 2013

Although I have been away skiing before, this was the first solo sking holiday I had taken on my own and I was aprehensive. Having met Clarissa I took the plunge and booked at the ski show at Earls court for the Christmas period. The room was very reasonably priced. As soon as I arrived my fears were allayed due to the freindliness of both Staff and Guests. I couldn't have been made to feel more welcome. The staff could not have been more helpful and I met some lovely people which the hotel obviously attracted. I would certainly go back again. In fact I have just booked another Week in March. I met two other families who go back year after year.

Congratulations to the chef every meal was well prepared and really enjoyable. I am used to eating out and would say that the food was of a very high standard. 0ne main course a rissotto did not appeal initially, (rissottos would not be my choice), but its taste was extremely good. There was not a choice of meals which worried me at first, but I need not have worried. I was impressed and enjoyed every meal served. Which is a first!! Christmas Dinner was Excellent.

My room was clean and the bed very comfortable. They do seem to be getting the important things right first as I understand changes are underway. After a lovely evening in the Dining room/Bar with other guests I slept beautifully. You could easily control the temperature in the room yourself so that was fine. The shower might need updating but it was absolutely fine and the the molton brown Shampoo Conditioner and shower Gel, an added bonus, more than made up for that. A hanging rail would have been nice but there was plenty of space to arrange clothes.

I also took advantage of the hot tub when coming back from the slopes a nice touch to jump into that and then go upstairs to get ready for the evening meal at half 7.

Martin, the manager was on hand every morning to help with any enquiries you had. I had always booked a package previously and was hesitant to book everything separately but with Clarissa;s and Martin's help it was not a problem at all. I am not sure who worked out all the seating arrangements at meal times, but I can only thank that person because it worked out wonderfully for me. I hope others were as happy.

I did not travel with children but could see that the children were looked after fabulously particularly for the Christmas period. This is a place I would certainly go with young Children. I will let others who have children speak for themselves but you could see the children were very happy to be there. I thought how well the meals were arranged for parents with young children they ate earlier and then the parents sat down at half 7. However for Christmas day we were all together.

All in all a lovely holiday and I am certainly going back again. I just hope it does not become so popular that I canot get booked in!! I would certainly not hesitate in recommending.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 6 January 2013

The proprietors and staff were friendly and helpful, prices are reasonable and we enjoyed our week's stay at the Starlight over Xmas, but I am unlikely to return. The food at dinner was very disappointing - worst I've had in a chalet or chalet hotel for about 20 trips; the budget for ingredients was presumably too low and the preparation and presentation of the evening meal left much to be desired, with cold plates and uninspired menu choices.

Breakfast was fine by chalet standards and the hotel was reasonably comfortable, with a small bar at one end of the dining room, a separate TV lounge and a hot tub. Some people had complaints about the heating, but we did not.

There seems to be a programme to upgrade the facilities and we had a comfortable bed and a nice new shower cubicle in our en suite bathroom; on the other hand we had insufficient furniture in the bedroom and a lack of hanging space (no wardrobe) - a common problem in French chalets. I expect they will eventually sort out the bedrooms and various other minor buildings issues, I am less confident about the quality of the food, particularly as many other reviewers seem surprisingly content with it.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Downhill-Dave
Reviewed 26 December 2012

Just back from a quick 5 day pre-christmas ski trip with a mate.Service was excellent, from pick-up at Geneva, no waiting,throughout the stay, and delivery back to Geneva. Staff were friendly and very helpful, food was good, and nice to have a coffee and cake waiting for you when we got back from skiing. Room was basic, small but clean, TV did not work, but didn't need it. A little bit of trouble getting ski gear dried after a very wet day, but they put an extra heater in the room and one in the boot room. They recommended Caribou sports for our ski hire, and their service was excellent, we skied with brand new, top of the range skiis. Another big bonus was that they accommodated us from Wed until Monday, at a very competitive price. Highly recommend them and would love to ski Avoriaz again. Tom

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank NIBoley
Reviewed 19 April 2012

Based on the other reviews on Trip Advisor we decided to stay at Hotel Starlight (known as Hotel-Chalet La Renardiere) and were not disappointed! We booked via Star Ski chalets who run other chalets in the town and came recommended by friends who enjoyed a great stay in Chalet Roxy- one of the other chalets. It was also very hard to find somewhere to stay for a long weekend. We stayed Wednesday – Monday which included transfers which was great. Agree- a confused 2 star. It should be more. Don’t be put off. We had a great experience here.

Location: not quite bang in the centre of town. About 10-12 mins + in ski boots to the main square. You will get warm walking to either Pleny or Super Morzine bubbles. There is a bus stop about 100 yards from the door for the return journey. You can jump on the “U” bus back from nearby the Pleny bubble though.

Hotel: traditional, rustic charm. Boot room and secure storage on basement level, TV room, dining room (with Sky TV!) with bar on ground level. Garden with hot tub, comfy outdoor seating, BBQ and pool also. Large windows with mountain views. Hotel rooms on first floor and above.
Rooms: the corridors and rooms reminded me a little of university halls of residence but with lovely balconies with our own outdoor furniture, nice finishing touches like a flat screen TV with English channels, towels, hairdryer, WiFi, Aveda & Molton Brown toiletries, fresh linen, nice, modern curtains with matching cushions. Extra pillows and bedding in wardrobe. Separate electric heater if you get too cold. French style bathroom with separate WC. All this added to its charm.

We stayed half board and were very well fed. Food as good as ‘superior’ chalets I’ve stayed in elsewhere. Even chalet cake, fruit bowls with choice of hot drinks (inc hot chocolate) after 5pm following your day on the slopes. We were lucky enough to have a late check out so even managed a morning’s skiing and a freshen up before our shuttle back to Geneva. There was no extra cost for towels or linen or cleaning like some places charge. All inc half board. The staff were wonderful. A wonderful stay, Would definitely return & recommend staying here.

An excellent website. Has loads of photos on it which depict the hotel well.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank WeebersTravels
Reviewed 29 January 2012

We have just returned from 7 days at the Chalet Hotel Starlight (also known as Hotel-Chalet La Renardiere ).

It was a mission to find a chalet hotel that could take 28 people for a full week and then an additional 20 of our friends for the final weekend.... but bingo! we found it at this perfect chalet.

Elderon and Clarissa were the perfect hosts and the staff were just fab. The food was great all week - it is not gourmet, but it is homemade and just what you want after a day on the mountains. Breakfast is fresh bread and croissants and however you like an egg, they will cook it for you ! When you come back from the slopes there is very tasty cake left out for you.

There was a small bar, which was ok priced and all of the chalet staff just could not do enough to help us; from running us down in the minibus to town on the day that our legs were too tired to walk to the slopes, to late night drinks serving.

The chalet is a confused 2 star. I think it is on its way to 3 star... due to the brilliant hot tub, the smart dining room and quality of food. However some of the rooms are still not refurbished to the higher quality, I think they are working their way around the hotel gradually. There is nothing wrong with the more basic rooms, they just dont have that finishing touch of lovely curtains etc.

There is a lovely tv room, which we spent most of our time in. I don't know how this works when there is a mixed group, we had the entire chalet to ourselves!

One of the BEST things about the chalet is the fact that they have freeview tv ! On my seriously tired night I watched Corry in bed !

The location of the chalet is great. It is a 5 min walk into town and just under 10 mins in ski boots to the main Plenny bubble lift (all downhill). You can get the bus back up from the Plenny and it drops you outside the front door of the chalet.

You can ski back to the hotel from the Morzine/Le Gets side of the mountain. As long as the snow is good enough, and you are good enough, you can drop off the B blue run and you will slide back down to the chalet - nb it does take a bit of practice ;)

Overall this is a fantastic chalet for a big group - if I am ever crazy enough to organise a trip for 48 people again then I will bring them back here!

Room Tip: Go for the top floor rooms (they are quieter)