“I had a great stay at Inferno and I’d definitely recommend it.”
Review of Inferno Morzine

Inferno Morzine
Ranked #115 of 146 Speciality Lodging in Morzine
Reviewed 1 April 2014

I had a great stay at Inferno and I’d definitely recommend it.

The rooms were clean, tidy, warm and spacious. No complaints. Bathroom had good shower and sink. Communal toilets located on each floor were clean and well kept.

I was extremely impressed with the food, there was plenty to go around and I never left the table hungry! It was varied and well prepared. I visited on a relatively quiet week so the staff and the guests ate together which was great. It also meant you got to know the other guests well.

The manager, Sophie, made me feel extremely welcome in what at times did feel like a quite a tense hostel! I felt like I was walking on egg shells around some of the staff, particularly the owner, it was certainly clear that not everyone saw eye to eye. Often, I would be party to a staff dispute or the discussion of another staff member behind his or her back. Sometimes I felt awkward asking for stuff or even just being there! I guess I felt like things were done, but done begrudgingly. I visited towards the end of March when there was definitely an end of season feeling going on amongst the staff!

It was really useful to have ski hire directly from the hostel and to have my lift pass sorted for me. This meant by 9.30 on the first morning I was out on the slopes and meant I didn’t have to traipse around Morzine on the last day with my skis.

The location has it’s pros and cons. Based on Point de Nyon, it's ideal for skiing in and out of the hostel. It was great to beat the queues every morning down in Morzine and know that in theory you had an extra hour or so a day of skiing. But if you do happen to miss the last lifts you're stuck and either have to walk or call for a skidoo. This also limits what you can do with your evening. The hostel did make their location clear prior to booking but I’d forgotten what a great place Morzine is to enjoy apres-ski/look around and found myself some nights wishing I’d stayed in Morzine. I imagine Infernos is fantastic when it’s busy but if you’re thin on the ground for guests like it was when I was there, you’re a bit stuck! That said, some of the staff did acknowledge this and did really make an effort to hang around the communal areas and socialise.

The hostel does offers skidoo taxi rides from Morzine, effectively allowing you to get the last lift down, explore Morzine and have a meal before organising a pick up to take you back to Infernos. These were available at a cost of 10 euros each way and are weather dependant (can’t operate in slush) so probably not ideal to count on these if you’re going at the end of the season.

I would also say that on all the occasions I’ve skied in Portes du Soleil, that the pistes tend to be better in the direction of Avoriaz, Infernos is located on the Les Gets side which meant I always had to allow plenty of time to get back across town. Not really a problem if you’re not familiar with the resort as Les Gets & Morzine is sufficient.

Overall I’d definitely recommend this hostel; good food and excellent value for money made for an enjoyable stay!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank willjm03
There are newer reviews for Inferno Morzine

Reviewed 29 March 2014

Firstly, Lorna was very helpful with our booking. But our stay at infernos was second to none. Upon arrival we were greeted by very friendly staff members and shown to a clean and cosy room. Staff were more than happy to set up Flower's snowboard and advise us on where to ski on our first day.

We were really lucky with the weather which obviously helped but Calum and Joe were more than eager to show us the slopes - much appreciated boys.

The owners were really lovely, and chefs were incredible - all the meals were delicious (thanks Martin and Philippe!) evening meal set up really worked, partly due to the fact there were only a small number of guests, but conversation was free flowing and fun with everyone involved (age 18months to 87yo). Après ski entertainment was more than adequate (especially movie night...)

Biggest thanks goes to Joe and Calum, you made our holiday. It was a pleasure and we wish we could come back - enjoy the rest of the season!!

Laura and Flower xx

Room Tip: Room 12 has both no doorknob or key but room 4 is highly recommended.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 27 March 2014

My husband and I came for a last minute 5 night stay which was incredibly cheap for half board. I think you have to be realistic with your expectations when the bill is so reasonable which maybe some other reviewers didn't take into account. Yes, accommodation is basic and our room was tiny with no en suite but it was clean, comfy bed and cosy with a beautiful view- which is all you need if you are here to SKI!! No trudging through the town in ski boots to queue at a lift was a revelation, and pulling up after a final run down the snow park to plop in a deck chair with a beer in the late afternoon sun is worth trading for more plush accommodation. Evening meals were fantastic and Lee was a great host. Some of the staff weren't 'polished' in the art of hospitality but in the main were kind and helpful.
You have to be prepared to mix with other guests and 'make your own fun' in the evenings, but the drinks were reasonably priced and the other parties there were really charming and made us feel part of their much larger group. We stayed out after the lifts had shut one night for après but staff from the chalet came and got us on the skidoo which was fun in itself. This would be a great place to come for a big group who can have their own party in the evening on a budget, and anyone wanting a quick getaway to enjoy maximum skiing time !!

Stayed: February 2014
2  Thank Clare T
Reviewed 26 March 2014

Stopped here for lunch, disappointing. Ribs were good but nothing special. Service and atmosphere shocking. Staff were playing terrible, loud music on grooveshark which just kept stopping and buffering (when songs weren't just changed at random) No napkins provided for ribs wasn't ideal

• Stayed: March 2014
2  Thank Chris L
MountainBase, Owner at Inferno Morzine, responded to this reviewResponded 29 March 2014

Chris,

Apologies for your poor lunchtime experience, on the day you visited you are correct we were having problems with grooveshark and our play lists, staff have since been retrained on this and what to do when there are issues, and in relation to the volume prior to 3pm. We have also changed te way the ribs are served. If you visit again please make yourself know and we are happy to provide you with complimentary lunch.

Kind Regards

Lee

Reviewed 24 March 2014

The staff seemed more interested in playing Drum'n'Base on max volume than serving me. Didn't appreciate the surly attitude of the bloke when I asked him what an Aussie burger was, should have left then I guess.
Went for a Cheesburger and Fries, stale bun and tiny portion of fries both served in McDonalds style cardboard boxes. The burgers were already cooked and just warmed through rather than cooking from fresh. Too hungry to complain, just eat and left.
Despite the claim that it's good value I would have to disagree, I got better food cheaper at other piste restaurants earlier in the week.
Really nice location but the music is just insanely loud when you sit out on the decking.
Sorry - must try harder

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Stuart H

Stuart,

Apologies for you poor experience that you endured when visiting us for lunch on the Friday, the music that was being played was against our policy of easy listening until 3pm and all staff have been advised again of the policy. In regards to the burger and food, I wish you had mentioned at the time as we could have rectified the situation. All our food is freshly cooked at lunch time, but in some cases due to demand we precook burgers to easy supply otherwise we get complaints on the waiting time. If you are in the area again and choose to visit again please make yourself known and we will be happy to provide you with complimentary lunch.

Kind Regards

Lee

Reviewed 14 March 2014

I was apprehensive at the start having read previous reviews, but I was quite presently surprised. The chalet staff were welcoming, the room was comfortable and was lovely and warm. I had a great time out on the slopes and was always greeted back from my days skiing with a freshly prepared afternoon tea and this was topped off with great evening meals. The dogs mentioned by others didn't appear to provide any problems during my stay. On top of all this considering I booked last minute I felt everything I booked was well organised and ready for me when I arrived. Overall I would recommend to friends, and I would stay here again

• Stayed: February 2014
2  Thank Snowbirdygirl
Reviewed 13 March 2014

My son and i spent 8 amazing days staying at Inferno with Lee and the team.
Location location location!
Superb spot with easy ski in ski out for all levels direct at the top of the Neon cable car. At the end of the day you have the area to yourselves to enjoy a beer watching the sun go down.
Food was absolutely superb at all tmes with a great range and lashings of wine. My son is Vegan, we alerted the team and the guys catered for him especially well...thank you.
Accommodation is simple and i am told that the new owner Lee has plans to upgrade parts of this where possible - bathrooms etc. however if you know what you are expecting then you will be happy anyway.
this is for people who are happy to mix with others , get on and off the slopes easily (and first if required) , generally be up for a good time and enjoy life. ..pleased to say that all other groups we met were there for the same thing.
all at a great price.

Lee's plans for the summer are shaping up well - if you are in the area check them out.

keep up the good work guys, thanks for all your help , hopefully we will get back there sometime soon. ...
cheers