“Perfect for skiing trip, such a welcoming and full of treats and conveniences”
Review of Hotel le Petit Dru

Hotel le Petit Dru
Ranked #8 of 50 Hotels in Morzine
London, United Kingdom
“Perfect for skiing trip, such a welcoming and full of treats and conveniences”
Reviewed 27 April 2013 via mobile

Went with gf, perfect end to end. Ski hire, location/commuting is great for avoriaz and morzine, facilities from pool to sauna to lounge, wifi was way above the average in those locations. The food at the restaurant and bar was also up there.
And best of all the hosts were really kind and helpful. Cannot reccomend enough

• Stayed April 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Mullingar, Ireland
Reviewed 7 April 2013

Stayed at the Petit Dru in March as a group of seven for 3 nights.
On check in the manager was brilliant, giving us loads of information.
The rooms are a good size, with TV, dressing gowns, hairdryer etc with a lovely balcony looking over the slopes and mountains.
The food in the restaurant is exceptional, 5* hotel dining, the staff were brilliant offering to change any courses if they wern't to our liking. The staff couldn't have been more helpful, very friendly and even tried to improve our French (in a nice way). Breakfast is also great with lots of choices.
The hotel has an intersports shop and ski locker facilities making things very simple. It also has spa, pool and jacuzzi.
The hotel is a five minute walk from town, but this meant the hotel is quiet, a nice treat after a long day skiing. There is a bus stop outside the hotel so easy to get to the ski lifts in the morning with your gear.
The bar/ louge area is lovely with lots of couches to relax.
If you are staying in Morzine I couldn't recommend this hotel enough. We had a wonderful time and it would be my first choice.

Room Tip: Ask for a mountain view room. Also take your swimming gear!
1 Thank Janine W
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 April 2013

My friend and I stayed for 4 nights in March 2013 for a quick ski break and were very impressed at the hotel, staff and facilities. We requested a room overlooking the village (thanks for recommendation) and it looked quite a trek into town, but in reality was 5 minutes. The steam / sauna / jacuzzi / pool are superb, spotlessly clean and very welcoming after a day on the piste. The staff could not do enough to help us, took us into town to get our skiis, turned the spa on just for us when we decided not to go skiing on a white out day, let us keep our room until 5pm when we checked out, were generally extremely accomodating. Only tiny mention (as previous reviewers have mentioned) the bar was expensive but this just meant we drank elsewhere. I would certainly recommend this hotel for location, facilities and value for money. I'm sure we will be visiting again.

1 Thank Bardfish
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 March 2013

Just got back from a 3 night stay at Le Petit Dru have to say it was a great place. Given some of our previous ski resort accommodation we weren't expecting too much BUT it was probably the best we've stayed in for the price.

Although it's not in the town it is an easy/short 5-10 min walk away and it's quieter, there's also a free bus which stops just outside of the hotel and runs every 10/20 mins - brilliant!

The restaurant food was amazing, we had breakfast (more than just a continental) and dinner (set three course menu) every day/night and the standard was fantastic. The staff were great fun, professional and would do anything for you. They also made a HUGE birthday cake for me (at my friend's request) FOR FREE and dressed it up with a huge firework candle. The bar staff were also really friendly and accommodating.

The rooms were very comfortable. Another benefit was having a surprisingly large Intersport shop in the basement to pick up/drop off your ski equipment. We had to swap some skis during the stay and have another pair waxed and the guy was brilliant.

Can't recommend this place enough and even considering going back next summer!

1 Thank Jayr73L
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 March 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights for a short ski break and thought it was a great hotel. We weren't expecting too much as it was a fairly last minute booking and there weren't many hotels available in Morzine, but our expectations were totally exceeded.

The location is good. Firstly, you are 1 hour transfer time from Geneva airport, so brilliant for a short trip. There is a free ski bus right outside the door, and steps on other side of the building take you down to the village, and 5 minutes walk to main square.

One massive plus was the skiset rental outlet in the hotel boot room. This is open for a hour in the morning and an hour in the evening (can't remember the exact timings). We had pre-ordered our skis via the skiset website, and I made a note on our booking of where we were staying and the skis were waiting for us.This is great because we didn't have to trek down to the village and back with our boots and skis. I even saw some people arrive outside of the opening times, and reception rang skiset and they opened especially for them.

Another thing that I liked about the hotel was the very large communal lounge area by the bar and reception, where you could relax in the evening. We also used the swimming pool, hot tub and sauna, which were very nice after a day's skiing.

Our twin room was very spacious compared with what we have experienced at other ski resort hotels, including bunk beds (that folded away) and glass doors onto a huge shared balcony with wonderful views of the mountains and the village.

Finally, what really made our stay was the amazing service we had from the staff on our last day. There was a mix up with our transfer back to the airport, and the hotel staff spent ages ringing every transfer company in Morzine to try to get us to the airport in time for our flight! They really went the extra mile for us - a sign of great service!

Room Tip: Try to get a room with views of the mountains and village
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Business_girrl
Reviewed 11 March 2013

After reading the very mixed reviews, I was very curious to check out Le Petit Dru for myself. I have stayed at a number of 3 star, small family owned hotels at ski resorts, so I think my assessments are based on fair comparisons.
Pros:
- Extremely friendly, helpful service, both at reception and in the restaurant. It sounds like whatever service issues they were having earlier have been resolved. Zero faults in this area.
- Great location. Short, easy walk to town. The ski bus right outside, which is great. I read some reviews complaining about the "treacherous" stairs to the bus stop.... honestly, after walking these stairs for myself, I think that if the stairs are too hard for someone, skiiing is probably not the right activity for them. They are really very normal stairs.
- Very affordable. I think most of the rooms have bunk beds (in addition to the "normal" beds in the room), which means you could get 4 people in a double room, at a very low cost.
- Big reception area with sports on tv and couches and pool table. We didn't use this space but I can imagine it would be quite good for a group to hang out.

Cons:
- Ok, let’s tackle the food issue. Breakfast was fine, with lots of cold options. But cooking your own eggs (on 2 hotplates) is really stupid. No one wins – not the guest paying for half board and cooking his own eggs, or the guests standing in line behind grumbling, or the kitchen staff that have to clean 50 individual mini skillets with burnt on eggs each morning. How hard is it to cook up a vat of eggs and put it out next to the bacon? Such a small thing that would cut down on lots of morning annoyance.
- Dinner is just very…. edible. Nothing was good, but nothing was terrible. Not bad enough that I’d complain or send anything back, for sure, esp since the staff are super nice and friendly. But if I was served that food in a restaurant, I would not go back. On the last night we ended up going out to eat. Actually the cheese board was pretty good.
- There is an outdoor / indoor pool, and indoor hot tub. This should be a “plus” but something has gone very wrong with the ventilation and the entire reception area reeks of chlorine & mildew damp. The pool area smells TERRIBLE (I think b/c the indoor pool area is in an enclosed, locked room), but that didn’t seem to stop some people from swimming. Note, the mildew smell does not go upstairs past the first floor.
- Our room was really warm, far too warm to sleep (I am small and am usually freezing). We called and the reception guy came and looked, and said that the radiator was off, so if we were still too warm we’d have to open the patio door. So that’s how we slept every night, with the patio door open, on a room on the parking lot floor. Very noisy from the road, and NOT SAFE!!!
- Also the double rooms have twin beds pushed together. This is quite common, but at this hotel, the twin beds each have a thick wooden frame around them. So even after you push the beds together, they’re still at least 5” apart. I don’t think I need to elaborate further.
- Lots of brits… not a good or bad thing, it’s just a bit like going down to the local pub in London, if that’s what you’re after.

Overall I’d say this is probably a great hotel for groups looking for low budget accommodations, with easy access to skiing, who are not fussy about room arrangements or food. I think there are a couple of small things this place could do to make it more attractive to everyone (making the rooms a comfortable temperature has nothing to do with how fancy or posh it is), but based on this stay, I would not go back.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Jmax0000
London
Reviewed 10 March 2013

Myself and two friends stayed at the petit dru for 4 nights in Feb 2013. In terms of service the hotel were amazing (and having spent over 3 years travelling and having done numerous holidays I've stayed in many places)

We had booked a triple room but an no extra the cost the hotel offered us two double rooms to give us more space. They also ran us to the ski shop and onto the ski cble car - again all at their suggestion and no cost for the taxi service!

They couldn't have been more helpful. I would defo recommend and defo return, thank you hotel petit dru for a great stay

Not sure if all rooms have mountain views but ours did and they were beautiful

Room Tip: Ask for mountain views
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends