“Great Ski Weekend!”

and 1 more site!
Chalet Philibert
Ranked #21 of 50 Hotels in Morzine
Reviewed 13 February 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights and had a fantastic time, the accommodation is very good, cosy but comfortable rooms, a lovely dining room and lounge area to enjoy a pre dinner drink. The standard of the food was excellent, great breakfasts and the 3 course evening meals were very high quality restaurant standard, a set menu but if you dont like something you can tell them in advance. The only criticism would be that more vegetables could be included but the standard of the meat was fantastic.

The hotel was lovely and traditionally french, the hot tub and heated boot rack was a very welcome addition. The service was very good and the wine list very impressive. The hotel manager even let us keen our room for a whole extra day at no charge as we were not due to leave until the evening, this was highly appreciated.I would not hesitate to recommend Chalet Philibert and will certainy return.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jennycarswell81

Reviewed 5 February 2013

We stayed at this hotel for 4 nights a few weeks ago. Our airport transfer meant we arrived at the hotel later than the rest of our party and after dinner had been served, but the hotel were happy to provide dinner for us anyway which was much appreciated. The food was superb, varied and plenty of it during our stay and the staff could not have been more friendly, helpful and attentive.

The downsides - we were in a ground floor room with a shared balcony and no curtains, not for you if you like your privacy! One night we had a random man on our balcony on his phone, another night (around 4am) we had people knocking on our bedroom window. The people from the chalet ate in our hotel right near our room and were extremely loud until late, also the toilets were opposite our room and I have lost count of how many times people tried to get in our room thinking it was the toilet. Most of the time our door was locked but it did happen at all hours. So do try and get a room on a higher floor if you can. The room we were in had everything we needed but was small with an exceptionally large bathroom, but was fine. The bed could do with replacing as my partner and I kept rolling into the middle!!

The pleney lift is either a short free bus ride away or a walk down some steep slippery slopes, so if you're taking your own skis etc, I would highly recommend leaving them at a hire shop to save your energy!! We always use Gravier ski shop which is run by excellent people.

Overall I would thoroughly recommend this hotel, just not a ground floor room if you have the choice!

Room Tip: Try not to get a room on the ground floor.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 February 2013

Doesn't quite know if it's a chalet or a hotel. Our room was decidedly average and very small with little or no storage room and right next to the (noisy) road. Awful noisy, inadequate lighting. No proper shower. Boot room is very small as befits the slightly 'begrudging' attitude that pervades the whole place. Bar seems like an afterthought. Why don't you light the fire every day? Food slightly OTT for what is and you pay for the wine - 25 Euros a bottle if they don't run out of that and charge you more. Staff seem unwelcoming and ever so slightly unhelpful - almost like guests were a bit of an irritant.
Pretty close to the town via the (steep) shortcut but be careful of the traffic as the chalet/ hotel is on a tricky bend.
Most importantly, I would never voluntarily return and I suspect most of our party of 17 felt the same.
More fool you at Chalet Phillibert!

Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Kita423
Reviewed 27 January 2013

We booked this fairly last minute through bookings.com for a few days snowboarding in Jan 2013. Although the website looked amazing and stated half board, we weren't expecting much as in 2011 we had paid more for some nice but basic accommodation only in Morzine. We were very pleasantly surprised!

I know I should be talking about the accommodation but can we start with the food? It's the first thing I've told people about since we got back. Amazing! We've been to Morzine and few times and were planning to miss one of our half board meals and dine in town one night. After the first meal we couldn't drag ourselves away from Chalet Philibert. I'd suggest visiting for a meal even if you're not a resident. The restaurant is open to the public but seemed to be mainly residents. As a resident you get a set 3 course menu which changes daily. They post the menu in the morning. Otherwise, it's a surprise when it appears in front of you! On the first evening we had quail as a starter! The portion size was perfect meaning you had a great meal while not destroying the effects of a sporty holiday. I'm not a wine expert but the wine menu was extensive. The big plus for me (and test of customer service) was how they dealt with my allergies. I have several severe allergies and, although it was a set menu I made the waiting staff aware of my allergies on day 1 and the chef made sure I had something I could eat every night.

The front of house and waiting staff were very friendly and very helpful! Thank you very much to Massimo and everyone else.

The chalet is lovely. We had a balcony overlooking the Pleny slope which meant we could assess the visibility before venturing out. The bus stop is 3 mins walk away and 3 mins drive into town. Make sure to sit up front of the bus on the way home and shout for your stop... I don't think the driver stops unless someone wants off. And (although we didn't) you could easily walk the shortcut to town in the evening.

The room was very comfy. It took us to the second night to realise that we didn't have curtains because there were shutters! The walls are a little thin so you can hear other guests, but we expect that in chalet accommodation. There's a boot room also. It's a wee bit small but it does the job.

The free WIFI & outdoor pool and sauna were a lovely touch!

This place is amazing!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Glasgaetravel
Reviewed 8 January 2013 via mobile

Just returned from a 4 night stay at Chalet Philibert and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. As we only booked the hotel 2 days prior to arriving I was not expecting much, but in all honesty all expectations were exceeded.
From the greeting we received upon arrival, to the delicious food each day and the excellant wine menu, all needs were met.
The owner is very friendly and most accommodating, recommending new wines etc and even letting us have a late check out as we wanted to ski on our last day.
In all, for a short ski break away from the kids and the chaos of work, you'll struggle to beat this place for value, location and quality.
Will definitely be back next year.

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank Cds10
Reviewed 8 January 2013

Overall, an excellent stay, enhanced by good food and attentive service. Dined 3 nights in a row, but no change of the A La Carte menu being the same every evening, so maybe struggling if you are staying/dining more than 3 nights. Cosy dining room, small lounge with log fire, prominent location within a shortcut walk to the town centre to the place de la Mairie...
Stayed in room 19 in little Philibert, and it felt like sleeping in a cupboard, just a bed and a bedside table, nothing else, not a chair, not a picture on the wall, and window view of a grass bank at the back... Bathroom very basic, lighting insufficient, no insulation between rooms as I could hear next room conversation, ans bed ok. Saved by the food and service!!!

Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 December 2012

We got an interesting discount on booking.com because the ski season hadn't start yet but the resort was opened for skiing for the week-end of 15/16 december.
We arrived a bit late (8.30 PM), the manager was waiting for us but we directly felt that he wanted to go home so the check-in was fast whitout that much information.
As the reception was closed, and the restaurant too (which was not mentioned when we booked) the manager told us to go for a diner in town we would need then to enter the hotel through a back door that we access from the street whitout any lights and directly in a curve so quite dangerous...
During the night, there was a strong noise, I guess ventilation, so strong that we had trouble to sleep. Of course we couldn't turn it off ...
Then in the morning we went for breakfast and directly realised that we were only 2 couples in the hotel as everything was the minimum quantity : 4 mini croissant and chocolat croissant, some bread, coffee for 4 persons NOT MORE ... ham and cheese didn't seem fresh so we didn't try..I guess they bought everything at Lidl ...
To shower, it was a bath without any curtain so water everywhere...
The pool was closed.
Sauna and jacuzi only open from 4 ... and Jacuzzi was cold so we haven't been.
When we got out, a big dog poo was just outside down the stairs and it took them a while to clean it.
When we left I tryed to say to the girl at the reception that we were a bit disapointed and the only thing she could answer was "well at least you got the suite with the standard room price, hope you liked " I would rather get a standard room with a better service...
For this the price was way too expensive !!! (95 euros/night)
I guess everything happened because it was off season so they just didn't care about these few custumers ...

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple