“One of the best hotel in this lovely village”
Review of Hotel Le Dahu

Hotel Le Dahu
Ranked #7 of 50 Hotels in Morzine
Reviewed 8 September 2013

I spent a wonderful time in this hotel. The view on the city is nice especially after ski. Have a hot chocolate seating in the bar and enjoy the calm of this place. I really liked the inside swimming pool, because swim surrounded by the snow is a great experience. There is a small negative point, is quite far from the ski slope you have to take a bus or it takes a while to reach it by feet.
By the way Morzine is a lovely and very charming town.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 1 September 2013

I stayed here with my partner for five nights in August 2013. We had a thoroughly enjoyable time and would certainly return.

The best thing about this hotel is the amazing views from the bar/breakfast room/restaurant and many of the front-facing rooms.

There is also a very high level of service - the staff were generally very helpful.

They have a lovely swimming pool, which was a real sun trap when we were there, and there's a lovely outdoor bar, and an outdoor seating area where we had lunch one day.

The breakfast was very good with lots of choice, and the coffee was excellent. I thought initially that 18 euros pp per day was expensive, but this is in line with the price of meals in Morzine in general - and reflects the excellent choice available.

A major beneft of this place is the free wi fi. It is very fast and very easy to use - why can't every hotel do this?

Our room had a balcony with en-suite separate bathroom and toilet. The toilet was small, but fine. I have never been in a shower with such an amazing view, as the window over the bath looked out over the mountains.

The bathroom was looking a little dated, but was well maintained and scrupulously clean. There was plenty of cupboard space in the room and a good safe that was big enough for ipad, cameras etc.

I should add that the hotel is well located and it was only a short walk into town via the footbridge over the valley.

I would definitely recommend this hotel!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 August 2013

We've been lucky with hotels on our visits to the Alps in the summer months and the trend certainly continued when we stayed at Le Dahu in Morzine. It's everything a family-run hotel should be - full of character, with great and friendly service and good food.

The hotel has truly amazing views of the valley and our room was at the end of the building so we had two of those views to enjoy. And although the hotel could be seen as being on the wrong side of the valley (you have to cross the pedestrian bridge to get to the main bars and restaurants), that walk is really only five or 10 minutes. It may not be suitable for people who struggle with walking though.

Breakfast was a buffet affair with some excellent locally sourced produce and mainly continental in style. We ate lunch there once and the risotto I had was delicious. We tried to eat in the restaurant of an evening but it was fully booked - disappointing as the food elsewhere in the resort we found to be nothing more than average. Like the restaurant, the hotel's indoor bar has more of those stunning views of the mountains.

We spent a day by the hotel's outdoor swimming pool (there's an indoor one too), and made use of the small bar nearby. The pool has great views of the valley and comfortable sunbeds. The other days we spent on visits to the glorious lake at Montriond and walking in the hills.

There are a couple of things I'd change with the hotel, for example it's a bit odd having reception on the first floor (there is a lift if you have your luggage with you). Our bathroom was a bit dated and rather small so could do with a refurb to provide more space for the shower and bath.

Otherwise, our room was comfortable and clean, with access to a balcony. The bed was fine and we generally slept well.

Would I go back? Certainly. This is a great hotel, and I really don't get the criticisms levelled at it by some!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 July 2013

We stayed in Le Dahu for three nights. Le Dahu wasn't what we were after but accommodation was hard to come by. At the time of booking it was all I could find but my expectations were high in advance, based primarily on the cost of the three-night stay.

I found le Dahu to be a pretty hotel but it was over-priced with a rude and arrogant front desk.

I've stayed in hotels and chalets in Morzine before (in a great place called Fleur des Neiges). I won't be returning to le Dahu although I will be returning to Morzine later this summer.

Room Tip: Don't accept room 103 - smelly loo.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank MasseyDrake
Reviewed 16 April 2013

We arrived very late for a 3 night long weekend and were immediately made welcome. There is a quality feel about the place and we would have no hesitation in booking another stay.

The staff are friendly, attentive and speak excellent English, the answer was always "Oui". Breakfast buffet was excellent quality (particularly the homemade yoghurt compotes) and represents good value for money despite the 17 euro pp charge.

A mini bus is available to access the Super Morzine lift (nearest the hotel) and Pleney lift but we found it a pleasant 10 minute walk across the river bridge. (Tip: By choosing a ski hire shop near the lift you intend to use there is no carrying of boots or skis to/from the hotel if you opt for overnight storage.) Ski passes can be purchased at Reception.

We did not try the restaurant in the evening (40 euro pp), choosing to sample the village restaurants instead. Personally we think the owners are missing an opportunity, a wood fired pizzeria (say 20 euro pp) would do very well and would create a great evening atmosphere in the piano bar afterwards.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 March 2013

This is a very homey hotel where I always feel welcome. Having come here many times, many of the staff knows me by name, and the owner always greets me as a friend.

The hotel is located across the gorge from Morzine, so it's a bit of a walk across the pedestrian suspension bridge to get to the Avoriaz gondola, and it's a walk clear across town to get to the Pleney side of Portes du Soleil. The hotel runs several shuttle vans though, so you can usually get a ride to wherever you want to ski for the day.

The ambiance is classic haute savoir, with lots of natural wood and stone. There is a small elevator that serves all floors. The bottom floor has a small indoor pool perfect for kids, a hot tub, saunas & steam room, as well as some fitness equipment. There's also a large room for storing your ski equipment and a game room with a ping-pong table. The main floor has the hotel restaurant, a spacious lobby, a bar, and another game room with billiards, video games, and computers.

Some of the rooms can be small, at least by American standards, but others are spacious, with vaulted ceilings and lofts. I believe they all have outside balconies as well.

One of my favorite things about staying here, however, is the food that comes with demi-pension. Every night the restaurant serves remarkable French cuisine. Each week, one of the meals follows the savoyarde tradition of large family-stlye dining, usually serving Raqulette. Friday evenings feature the gourmanderie, with a very fine 5 or 6 course meal.

Room Tip: Rooms facing Morzine enjoy very nice views. Best would be rooms on the southeast corner which also...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 February 2013

I’ve never written a negative review... on this occasion I feel some of our experiences are important for potential travellers. Having had many wonderful family holidays in France summer and winter I decided to ignore the negative reviews. However, I must now agree with them. Decoratively this is an okay hotel (our toilet was very smelly rm 103) but I wouldn’t say our arrival was very welcoming. We were a party of 4 adults and 3 teenagers. When we asked if our teenagers (13,13,15) have some fries with their steak – as was offered to 12y and under – we were told NO (no great difference between a 12y and 13y old eating habits and my daughter does have a very varied palate!) When we arrived for breakfast at 8.30 (breakfast to finish at 10.30) and asked if we could have more pancakes we were once again told NO. We actually had complain! The evening menu was very sophisticated for teenagers and without menu examples online and absolutely no flexibility from the chef I would suggest if you are travelling with your children I would think twice about choosing this hotel. I found this hotel to be stuffy and unwelcoming which is unfortunate as I am not a fussy traveller nor do I like to complain and I absolutely love good food.... but rudeness is not an easy thing to complain about. The hotel is also some distance and uphill – fine for our party but if you want to be more central this is again not the hotel for you. If you are looking for a relaxing skiing holiday with your children/teenagers where you can ALL enjoy the beauty and produce/food that the area has to offer I would not suggest Le Dahu. The only saving grace was that they agreed to change our booking to B&B – perhaps the feeling was mutual!

Room Tip: We were at the back of the hotel... which was perfectly fine but no view.... our toilet had an unfor...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family