“Excellent Chalet, Location & Organisation”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Morzine
Simply Morzine - Chalet des Montagnes
Ranked #4 of 48 Morzine B&B and Inns
Essex
“Excellent Chalet, Location & Organisation”
Reviewed 18 July 2011

We have used Simply Morzine before for winter ski trips and now a summer break and found their approach to organising holiday's excellent. They take the stress out of the everything from booking to travel arrangements and then your stay. Highly recommended.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 15 April 2011

I don't even know where to begin thanking the team at Simply Morzine and Chalet des Montagnes for making my 30th birthday so special!! We had such an incredible time in Morzine (26th Feb-5th March)...when I started thinking about this trip a year before I never dreamt it would work out so well. I don't think any of us in the group have ever experienced such amazing food and hospitality in a ski chalet, and I know the hot tub has spoilt us all for life!!

The food was just incredible, the chalet staff were fantastic and our ski host gave us some amazing tours of the Port du Soleil area. All the staff were so much fun to be around - they were helpful and kind and made so much effort to ensure we had a wonderful holiday. Our group included my parents, godparents, brother and sister-in-law, friends, and boyfriend and every single one of us had a fantastic time.

I wouldn't hesitate to book another holiday with Simply Morzine and all of our party really can't recommend these guys highly enough.

Looking forward to the next excuse to arrange a trip with Simply Morzine.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with family
Berkhamsted, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 March 2011

In the first week of January we drove to the chalet Montagnes (from Hertfordshire not Bedfordshire we know who we are!) We stayed in the apartment linked to the chalet. It was compact and very comfortable and exceeded our expectations
The staff were great and nothing was too much trouble. The teenagers are still talking about the Portes De Soleil adventure and the Jenga evenings.
We really enjoyed staying in a mixed group chalet and we would recommend it to anyone who enjoys great food and great hospitality.
A very memorable weeks holiday. We hope to be back soon.

Killenaule
Reviewed 8 March 2011

We travelled as family with Simply-Morzine for the fourth time this January. This years experience was as good as before, and we are already looking forward to next year. We stayed in the Montagnes for second year running, and hopefully will go back there again. The chalet experience is always going to be more intimate than a hotel, and more risky, as different groups share a relatively smaller space, than a hotel. The Simply Morzine team, in my opinion, are quite expert at navigating a chalet experience that should satisfy most people.

The pick up from the airport is always reliable and speedy. The arrangement with Felix, the ski shop, ensures a top class service for renting equipment. The guiding is always good fun, and this years circuit of the Portes de Soleil, was voted the best ever by the teenagers. Thanks Steve, but the adults are still recovering!

The food always hits the spot, which can't be easy, considering the wide age range we had. The rooms have everything one could look for in a chalet, and the bed are comfortable (most important).

The availability of the bus to bring you to and from Felix, or wherever, was a luxury, much appreciated in the mornings when we were in a hurry, and in the afternoons when we were tired. The walk was only five minutes, but tired limbs looked forward to the Canadian hot tub, not the walk.

For anyone looking for solitude, silence and serenity, this Chalet is not for you, but if you like good food, comfortable beds, meeting new people, and appreciate genuine and sincere hospitality the Simply Morzine team in Chalet des Montagnes are yer only men (and women).

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank lmthedoc
Reviewed 6 March 2011

We stayed at Chalet des Montagnes in January of this year. Simply Morzine advertises this chalet as 4 star luxury. We quite disagree for the following reasons:
• The rooms are cramped and the beds are very uncomfortable.
• The communal area was too small for the volume of guests staying in the chalet – there were 24 guests staying on this occasion and the size of the lounge would really only accommodate half that comfortably.
• The website states: “Under normal snow conditions you can ski to and from the chalet to within 40 metres of the front door.” To ski out would involve a hike of about 60 meters up a very steep slope then on to an almost horizontal trail – then having to cross country ski (yes the trail is near horizontal) another 4-500meters to get to the Pleney bubble. We found it far easier to walk to town. Skiing home was nearly as difficult.
• The sound proofing of the chalet was nonexistent , despite a chalet rule of “ quiet after 10pm for respect of other guests” this was regularly ignored and this in combination with the poor quality beds resulted in us receiving very little sleep. I’m sure most folk will agree a good night’s sleep is essential to enjoy any ski holiday.
• The food was ok and the staff were quite nice, but this does not make up for the latter.
We have stayed in many 4 and 5 star establishments around the world and this does not compare, I have stayed in more comfortable backpacker hostels.
We did complain to the management about several issues relating to the above points which we felt removed a great deal of enjoyment from our holiday. We eventually received a less than satisfactory reply.
We would not recommend Simply Morzine to anyone.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Tradescant20
SimplyMorzine, Owner at Simply Morzine - Chalet des Montagnes, responded to this review, 25 October 2011
We have not posted a management response until now as we have corresponded with the reviewer and taken time to liase with all other guests who were staying at the chalet over the same week.

We do not wish to reveal details in an open forum, however there was a fall out between the reviewer and the other members within her group.

The criticisms levelled are inconsistent with reports from other guests and also the reviewer’s own written communication with Simply Morzine. For example “let me commend the quality of the food at this establishment, the food really was of a good standard”.

We can only conclude that frustration with fellow guests has been unfairly directed at the ‘bricks & mortar’ of the reviewer’s holiday accommodation.
Reviewed 31 January 2011

I was tasked with arranging a ski holiday for a group of my friends so I chose this chalet based on the great great reviews on trip advisor (so that I didn’t get the blame if it all went wrong!)

We were picked up by the charming Vince from Geneva airport - who gave us an update on snow conditions and was forthcoming with suggestions on what to do in Morzine. Transfer time was just over an hour.

Our first stop was the ski hire shop as some of my party wanted to get skiing straight away and Vince took our bags to the chalet for us. We were on the slopes within 2 hours of landing!

The chalet is lovely - a proper alpine wooden chalet and it’s a few minutes walk from the Pleney lifts.

The latest review says it’s on a steep hill - with respect to the author - I would say it’s up a road that happens to be ascending - but this is the mountains after all! When you’re up and down ski lifts all day - a 2 min walk up a hill is not even on the radar!

It’s worthy of note that Simply Morzine have a minivan stationed in town every afternoon that ferries people back and forth to the chalet. I only used this once on the first day so that I could find out where the chalet was, but after that I just walked back and forth - and to be honest once you had your boots off it felt great to stretch out with a walk.

Staff at the chalet were really helpful and knowledgeable, Steve our rep recommended restaurants and even went to the lengths of making reservations for everyone on the chalet night off (the chalet is catered every night but has one night off a week) and Bea - the general manager helped us out with information about Morzine. The lovely ladies who served us dinner every night knew our names straight away and really delivered a personal service. Every time I saw any of the staff they asked me how my lessons were going etc - which is lovely as it makes you feel like a special guest and not a number.

My husband has (very!) particular dietary requirements which were completely met and not a bother to the staff at all. All the food was extremely tasty - we had a gourmet 3 course meal every night - everyone in our group really enjoyed the food. Before dinner they laid out little nibbles and the honesty bar was fully stocked for those who wanted a drink.

Our routine went like this - get up and have breakfast (already laid out for you) - go skiing - come back and flop on the couch in the afternoon - have tea and delicious cakes - get in the hot tub - shower for dinner - eat and drink and then retire to the lounge to chat with the other guests etc. Sleep thoroughly well fed and well relaxed!

This was my first experience of a shared chalet and certainly won’t be my last. The families we shared with were so lovely, so interesting and such a pleasure to meet and spend time with. They had been to Morzine before and had stayed at the chalet, which in itself was a great sign that we were in the right place! They shared with us their experiences of Morzine and I was so sad on the last night as I felt we'd all become a bit of an extended family. We had such a good time with the other chalet guests and you can’t get that at a hotel.

The families we shared with have used Simply Morzine for their summer holidays also – and highly recommend coming back in the summer so I’m def considering it. I think for our group of friends, a catered chalet is def the way forward – no arguments about who is cooking, no arguments and decisions about where to eat every night and after a hard day skiing – all you want is for great food to be served to you (along with lots and lots of wine!) which is exactly what happened.

Best things:
People we shared the chalet with
Simply Morzine staff
FOOD!
Hot tub
Internet / 100 videos at hand / board games

Worst things:
My lack of skiing progress but that has nothing to do with this review !

Reviewed 20 January 2011

I visited in January 2011 for a week with a group of friends, this was my first skiing holiday and I couldn't have asked for more. The staff were friendly, helpful & welcoming and the food was restaurant quality. The whole chalet was warm & comfortable and I would definitely recommend it to anyone.