“Good one night stay hotel if you set your expectations correct”
Review of Hotel des Congres

Hotel des Congres
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Villeurbanne
Reviewed 21 May 2013

This is certainly not a hotel for a longer stay. There is not much around it and the hotel itself is a bit dated. But it has EVERYTHING for a short stay on a longer trip to somewhere else. It's also in a short enough driving distance to Lyon's old town to see something if you have time.

What I like
- Covered parking (11 EUR)
- Price (59 EUR for a 3 bed room for my family... room 414)
- Large room
- Separate half and large full bathroom
- Fast and free internet
- Easy access from the highway
- Quiet setup for a good night sleep
- Large TV
- High water pressure shower (nice!)
- Clean rooms

What I didn't like
- long walk from the garage to the reception especially with luggage. Make sure you park on the second level of the garage to have easier access to the elevators
- although this is a non smoking setup there is smoke smell coming out of the air conditioner. Not sure why but it was recognized by both my wife and myself
- Surroundings of the hotel has not much to offer
- Everything dated but that also explains the low price.

I would certainly stay here again if I stop over for one night on my way to Spain like this time.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Relations C, Gérant at Hotel des Congres, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us on this website. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.

we've noted your remarks.

Hoping to have the pleasure to welcome you back for your next stay in Lyon.

Best regards .

Hôtel des Congrès manager

There are newer reviews for Hotel des Congres

Reviewed 21 May 2013 via mobile

I have just stayed my first night of 5 at this hotel and I'm very tempted to see whether its possible to change hotels after 1 night!

I arrived yesterday to a hotel that looks like a block of council flats in the middle of a council estate. Dont expect lots to do nearby, we asked where we could go for dinner but was told the nearest restaurants are a 15 minute walk away. Check in was smooth and the lady at reception was very helpful. My only worry is she said I have to leave the room key when I go out for safety reasons.

When I got up to my room it looked very dated (like something from the 70s). That being said it was clean. There is a fridge and free wifi in the room.

I went to dinner at the hotel buffet, all you can eat for €20, the food wasn't great. The hot food looks like its been sat there a while (which is probably was as there weren't many people in the restaurant) so I ended up with some bread and a plate of dry looking beef. The chocolate cake I had for dessert was lovely though!

I headed back up to my room and checked the windows were closed which is really when my problems started. I couldn't lock one of my windows so asked reception for someone to help. To be fair to the hotel they sent someone up straight away but they couldn't fix the window either. I then asked to move rooms, being a female travelling on my own I didn't feel very safe in a room where I had an open window. His reply was that they could move me but the window might not lock in my new room either, no one could get in and to ring reception to sort it. I called reception to ask about changing rooms who moved me across the hallway. The same man bought me my new room key who just stood by the door while I collected all my belongings and dragged them down the corridor. I would have thought that with me very clearly being pregnant (7 months) some help would have been provided. Upon moving rooms my new windows lock but I am now directly above a road and near a train line. I have therefore had an awful night sleep and can see this continuing if I stay here for the next 4 nights as the windows are so thin. The hotel bed is very comfortable though.

I chose this hotel as I thought it was near the conference centre where I will be working all week, turns out its a 20 minute walk.

I'm hoping I can update this review after my stay with some positive notes!

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank Carlene W
Relations C, Gérant at Hotel des Congres, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2013

Dear Madam,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us on this website.

I'm sorry to read that you were disappointed by our establishment.

Regarding the availability of restaurants in the area there is Mix City for lunch, the restaurant of our hotel for dinner, or effectively if you prefer there are many restaurants in the 6th district which are a 15 minute walk away. However it is also possible to go the city center by public transport the nearest bus or tram stop being located just minutes from the hotel, or of course to go by taxi.

With regards to the room I apologize for the inconvenience that you experienced regarding the window and for the fact that the person who helped you change rooms apparently could have done a little more to help you. If you are still staying at the hotel please don’t hesitate to contact me in order for us to find a more suitable room together .

I do believe that you have already met the Restaurant Manager during your stay who has already apologized himself for the unfortunate inconveniences that you have experienced with a small gesture on behalf of the management team. If we can do anything further to help then please do not hesitate to say.

I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back for your next visit to Lyon.

Kind regards.

Hotel Manager

Reviewed 21 April 2013

Second time I've stayed here - the location so convenient. When booking over the telephone I requested not to have one of the rooms over the tram, but when given the key realised it was - they were happy to change it (did have the note of my request). No dinner at hotel, but they suggested a restaurant in the adjacent shopping area, which I didn't try. Little fridge in room very convenient, little safe not so (too small for much). Bathroom OK.

Room Tip: Ask for a room not above the tram - the train is a couple of blocks away so no noise from that.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
Relations C, Gérant at Hotel des Congres, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2013

Dear sir,

We are delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay in the Hôtel des Congrès !

We are looking forward to seeing you again.

Sincerely

Director of the Hôtel des Congrès

Reviewed 5 December 2012

Very convenient for working at Espace Tete D'Or, approx 2 minute walk. Rooms good size, bed very comfortable, good large bath towels. That said. there were all sorts of things which just missed being right. It is annoying to find the restaurant closed on the Friday and Saturday nights - and to find something to eat you have to walk 10 or 15 minutes (it's cold in winter). In the hotel there are dispensing machines near the lifts, soft drinks and chocolate. There is a safety deposit box in the room - too small for my mini computer. There is a table and two chairs - but the chair too low for the desk. The bedroom was the right temperature for me - but you can't make the bathroom warmer separately. There is a fridge in the room - with a large half empty bottle of water from a previous guest. No kettle. The "express breakfast" is in the hotel bar (uncomfortable bar chairs, both the high and the low ones), before the buffet breakfast (v. expensive), and consists of a cup of tea/coffee/chocolate, orange juice, mini croissant and mini pain au chocolat and roll, with small butter and jam. Might be better value to continue past the bar, out of the hotel and turn right to the excellent boulanger/patisserie - and there is a supermarket there as well as a pharmacy and other shops.

Room Tip: On most floors rooms 6, 7, 20, 21 are on the part of the hotel that goes across the road - with tram...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
Relations C, Gérant at Hotel des Congres, responded to this reviewResponded 5 February 2013

Dear traveller,

Thank you for taking the time to share your impressions on your recent stay in our hotel.

I understand your annoyance about the restaurant closed on Friday and Saturday nights, however, we offer a room-service, and our reception staff would have been pleased to advise you on places to eat in the city.

We offer two types of breakfast, the traditionnal buffet breakfast (€ 15) and the "express" one (€ 8) for those looking for a quicker and simpler meal to start the day, featuring a hot drink(tea, chocolate, hot milk, coffee, cappuccino, coffee with milk), a fresh fruit juice (orange juice or grapefruit juice), pastries and a loaf of bread with butter, jam and honey.

I am very sorry to read your stay was not 100% satisfactory.
Looking forward to welcoming you again in Lyon.

Best regards

François DIAZ
Hôtel des Congrès Manager

Reviewed 22 November 2012

Stayed at the Hotel des Congres for a business trip for a night in November 2012. Nice room with a good bed, LCD TV, safe, fridge, free wifi and very helpful English speaking staff. Now the bad points: The food is very average at the Mix City restaurant which is not exactly in the hotel, the hotel looks like a council flat, you're in the middle of a council estate so fits in well! You're far away from anywhere nice and worth visiting! There is also a tram that goes through under the hotel but didn't affect me being on the 5th floor.

Room Tip: Higher the better
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business

Dear guest,

Thank you for posting your review following your experience at the Hotel des Congres.
I am delighted to read that you enjoyed the comfort of your room, as well as the professionalism of our staff.

However, I'm really sorry to read that the quality of the food served in our restaurant was not up to your satisfaction. All of our food is home-made and cooked fresh by our chef.

About the situation of the hotel, we are indeed located in a business district, but the tram is 500 meters away from the hotel.
We are 400 meters from the "Parc de la Tête d'Or", one of the largest urban parks in France, offering a zoo with over 1000 animals, a botanical garden with over 6,000 varieties of plants, several recreational activities and sports, and various restaurants.

We are looking forward to welcoming you soon back in our hotel !

Best regards.

François DIAZ
Hotel des Congrès

Reviewed 20 October 2012

3 nights for business, single

+ Front staff was very nice and attentive.
+ Near Palais de Congress and Tete D'or Park.
+ Clean rooms
+ Free Wifi
+ Good beds

-The room outfitting is like a Bond movie from the 70ties. Nothing has been changed since except the TV
-Breakfast is ok, nothing special
-The look from the window is suburban Lyon: nothing inspiring.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 October 2012

Arrived via the back door as it was not altogether clear where the entrance is if you are coming from the tram stop - this area is a bit of 60's architect's wonderful dream of the future - i.e. a lot of reinforced concrete! Once in, I was a bit worried about what I had let myself in for, as it seemed a bit deserted. Remembering that this is a hotel at the budget end of things, I gave it the benefit of the doubt. As it turned out, the room seemed recently refurbished and clean. The bed was nicely made and the mattress was comfortable. Breakfast is standard continental fare, but a good variety-the crepes and maple syrup are highly recommended. Staff very professional and friendly and the free wifi worked very well. The bar is not open on a Sunday, and on week days they shut at 10:30pm, but as I was there for work reasons this was not a problem. This seems to be a bit of a student/residential area, and seems very quiet at night. Nearby is the park which is a gem. Just turn right, cross the amusingly named boulevard Stalingrad and the best of Lyon opens up to you.

• Stayed: October 2012
Also consider these accommodations in or near Villeurbanne
Ibis Styles
#3 of 6 in Villeurbanne
Hotel Crowne Plaza Lyon - Cite Internationale
Warwick Reine Astrid - Lyon
Lagrange City Apart'Hotel Lyon Lumiere

Been to Hotel des Congres? Share your experiences!