“Nice people, good location, good value”
Review of Hotel des Congres

Hotel des Congres
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Villeurbanne
Reviewed 29 June 2014

If you want old city charm, this isn't your hotel. With that out of the way, this is a good place to stay. It's very close to the park, 10 minutes from Gare Part Dieu train station by taxi, and walking distance to many restaurants and sites including Place des Terreaux and the shopping district in which it sits as well as Old Town...for those who like to walk or rent bikes. The staff is very friendly and if English is your language you will find them quite accommodating. It's clean, too. And the beds are comfortable.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Relations C, Gérant at Hotel des Congres, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2014

Thank you for your recommendation of our establishment, and I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay.
I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you again.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 29 May 2014

I was attending a conference in Lyon and this hotel was particularly convenient as it was only 100 metres from the conference centre. I booked a single room but they gave me a room that would accommodate 3 people and the price was very reasonable. The room was clean and tidy with an adequate view of the local scenery. Breakfast was buffet style but there was lots of choice. I can recommend this hotel to anyone wanting to spend time in Lyon.

Room Tip: I only tried the one room but it seemed fairly quiet wherever I was in the hotel.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Dear sir,

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, and that the service met your expectations.
I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again in the near future.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 22 August 2013

I'm flabbergasted at some of the reviews on here. We got an amazing deal for three nights in this hotel and after reading some reviews started to worry, but there was no need.

The staff are fantastic, speak perfect English ( embarrassingly so :-) ) and helped quickly with any minor problem. The hotel is dated, but not so much that its too noticeable. The rooms are huge, very clean, comfortable beds, bathroom very good, nice empty fridge, and free wifi. We booked three nights so the garage parking came free. This hotel was half the price of a holiday inn on the outskirts of Paris and loads better.

Within five minutes you have excellent restaurants and the most brilliant park ( avec free zoo) and of course all other of Lyons attractions - if you're the kind of people that want a base with a budget - then this is perfect.

The only thing I would say it really needs is a kettle in the room ( maybe charge extra) and to thank the staff for a lovely stay.

If you get a good price - just book it, it's a no-brainier.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank monolocouk
Relations C, Gérant at Hotel des Congres, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2013

Dear Monolocouk,

We are glad you liked so much your stay and even happier to know you recommend hotel des Congrès.

Thank you for your relevant comment regarding the courtesy trays. We are actually working on this project, which is due for the end of the year.

It’s a great motivation for all our staff.

Best regards.

Hôtel des Congrès Manager

Reviewed 1 June 2013

I spent two nights in the hotel in a twin bed room. The hotel is near the univeristy and the park of the tete d'or (10 min walking). The room and the bed are both comfortable, with a TV with different channels. However, only a few foreign TV channels are set. The bathroom is big and nicely stuffed. The breakfast is served on an individual basis with a limited quanitiy, which is unusual for this level of hotel.
My high satisfaction comes from the quality of the professionnality of the personnel who are very helpful and nice, which made my stay attractive.

Room Tip: There are some rooms to avoid when booking: those over the bus way as they are noisy.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
Relations C, Gérant at Hotel des Congres, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2013

Dear traveller,

Thank you very much for your kind words and the feedback concerning our establishment.

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed by your stay, and I have shared your feedback with all the members of my team.

About the breakfast, please note that we offer two kinds of breakfasts : the first is an express breakfast as you choose, and the second is the buffet breakfast at the price of : €15.

I look forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you again to the Hotel des Congrès in the near future.

Hôtel des Congres

Reviewed 21 May 2013

This is certainly not a hotel for a longer stay. There is not much around it and the hotel itself is a bit dated. But it has EVERYTHING for a short stay on a longer trip to somewhere else. It's also in a short enough driving distance to Lyon's old town to see something if you have time.

What I like
- Covered parking (11 EUR)
- Price (59 EUR for a 3 bed room for my family... room 414)
- Large room
- Separate half and large full bathroom
- Fast and free internet
- Easy access from the highway
- Quiet setup for a good night sleep
- Large TV
- High water pressure shower (nice!)
- Clean rooms

What I didn't like
- long walk from the garage to the reception especially with luggage. Make sure you park on the second level of the garage to have easier access to the elevators
- although this is a non smoking setup there is smoke smell coming out of the air conditioner. Not sure why but it was recognized by both my wife and myself
- Surroundings of the hotel has not much to offer
- Everything dated but that also explains the low price.

I would certainly stay here again if I stop over for one night on my way to Spain like this time.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Relations C, Gérant at Hotel des Congres, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us on this website. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.

we've noted your remarks.

Hoping to have the pleasure to welcome you back for your next stay in Lyon.

Best regards .

Hôtel des Congrès manager

Reviewed 21 May 2013 via mobile

I have just stayed my first night of 5 at this hotel and I'm very tempted to see whether its possible to change hotels after 1 night!

I arrived yesterday to a hotel that looks like a block of council flats in the middle of a council estate. Dont expect lots to do nearby, we asked where we could go for dinner but was told the nearest restaurants are a 15 minute walk away. Check in was smooth and the lady at reception was very helpful. My only worry is she said I have to leave the room key when I go out for safety reasons.

When I got up to my room it looked very dated (like something from the 70s). That being said it was clean. There is a fridge and free wifi in the room.

I went to dinner at the hotel buffet, all you can eat for €20, the food wasn't great. The hot food looks like its been sat there a while (which is probably was as there weren't many people in the restaurant) so I ended up with some bread and a plate of dry looking beef. The chocolate cake I had for dessert was lovely though!

I headed back up to my room and checked the windows were closed which is really when my problems started. I couldn't lock one of my windows so asked reception for someone to help. To be fair to the hotel they sent someone up straight away but they couldn't fix the window either. I then asked to move rooms, being a female travelling on my own I didn't feel very safe in a room where I had an open window. His reply was that they could move me but the window might not lock in my new room either, no one could get in and to ring reception to sort it. I called reception to ask about changing rooms who moved me across the hallway. The same man bought me my new room key who just stood by the door while I collected all my belongings and dragged them down the corridor. I would have thought that with me very clearly being pregnant (7 months) some help would have been provided. Upon moving rooms my new windows lock but I am now directly above a road and near a train line. I have therefore had an awful night sleep and can see this continuing if I stay here for the next 4 nights as the windows are so thin. The hotel bed is very comfortable though.

I chose this hotel as I thought it was near the conference centre where I will be working all week, turns out its a 20 minute walk.

I'm hoping I can update this review after my stay with some positive notes!

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank Carlene W
Relations C, Gérant at Hotel des Congres, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2013

Dear Madam,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us on this website.

I'm sorry to read that you were disappointed by our establishment.

Regarding the availability of restaurants in the area there is Mix City for lunch, the restaurant of our hotel for dinner, or effectively if you prefer there are many restaurants in the 6th district which are a 15 minute walk away. However it is also possible to go the city center by public transport the nearest bus or tram stop being located just minutes from the hotel, or of course to go by taxi.

With regards to the room I apologize for the inconvenience that you experienced regarding the window and for the fact that the person who helped you change rooms apparently could have done a little more to help you. If you are still staying at the hotel please don’t hesitate to contact me in order for us to find a more suitable room together .

I do believe that you have already met the Restaurant Manager during your stay who has already apologized himself for the unfortunate inconveniences that you have experienced with a small gesture on behalf of the management team. If we can do anything further to help then please do not hesitate to say.

I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back for your next visit to Lyon.

Kind regards.

Reviewed 21 April 2013

Second time I've stayed here - the location so convenient. When booking over the telephone I requested not to have one of the rooms over the tram, but when given the key realised it was - they were happy to change it (did have the note of my request). No dinner at hotel, but they suggested a restaurant in the adjacent shopping area, which I didn't try. Little fridge in room very convenient, little safe not so (too small for much). Bathroom OK.

Room Tip: Ask for a room not above the tram - the train is a couple of blocks away so no noise from that.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
Relations C, Gérant at Hotel des Congres, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2013

Dear sir,

We are delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay in the Hôtel des Congrès !

We are looking forward to seeing you again.

Sincerely

Director of the Hôtel des Congrès

Also consider these accommodations in or near Villeurbanne
Ibis Styles
Golden Tulip Lyon Eurexpo
Golden Tulip Lyon Eurexpo
#1 of 10 in Saint-Priest
Best Western Plus Hotel & Spa de Chassieu

Been to Hotel des Congres? Share your experiences!