The Sloop Inn
Ty Bryn Bed & Breakfast(Llandogo)
TripAdvisor
All reviewstintern abbeywye valleybeautiful locationpub foodample parkingre visitfour poster bedstayed heresunday lunchold buildinglandlordpintpetermealcottagecharacter
Reviewed 1 September 2012

We made a trip from Caridff to Tintern Abbey today which was great. When we finished we were a bit peckish & decided to get some lunch. The pubs opposite the Abbey was very busy so we decided to drive further down the road to look for something. We came across The Sloop Inn. Out came my phone to check the food hygiene rating (getting obsessed with this) .... no need, they've got it displayed in their window ... a great score of 4 out of 5.

We went in, ordered drinks & were given the lunch menu. I had the burger which was huge, freshly made, tasty & juicy. It was topped with THE MOST AMAZING onion rings I have ever had the pleasure to eat. On the side, a nice salad, sweet chilli sauce & proper homemade cruncy chips. My partner had the lasagna with the same amazing chips & salad. Has to be said, this is pub grub at it's best. No frozen microwaved rubbish. Just good honest food. I just wish it was closer to where we live so I could become a regular!!! Staff were very friendly too.

Brilliant!!! Keep up the good work. Hopefully we'll join you soon to sample your Sunday lunch.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Chelseabun01
Reviewed 6 May 2012

This review is of the restaurant, not the accommodations.
The restaurant at Tintern Abbey was closed when we were visiting so we went in search of food elsewhere. Luckily we ended up at The Sloop Inn. We were traveling with our dog and one of the things we were looking for was a place that would welcome her too. It was a chilly day so a place that would allow us to be inside and warm while we enjoyed our meal was most appealing.

The decor is fairly plain. It appears to be more a pub that serves food than a restaurant. Don't let that put you off. I didn't harbor high hopes that the food would be all that great. I was VERY pleasantly surprised. The menu is small but they also have daily specials. Every dish we ordered was fantastic.

From our one visit I can highly recommend the Burgers - piled high with onion rings and served with hand cut chunky chips, the gammon and eggs, the lasagna and stuffed chicken breast with mushroom sauce and chips. The onion rings and chips at this restaurant/pub are what every other establishment should strive for!

The Sloop offers great value for a quality home cooked meal. We look forward to visiting again on our next visit to Wales.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Nothing is too much trouble.
Meals lovely
Prices from basic bar meals to duck al'orange all inexpensive.
Lovely staff
Promt service

Room Tip: We did not stay here. We stayed at a B&B close by. But wish we had stayed. The staff were so friendly,as were the locals.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family