“An excellent taste of Russia”
Review of Swan Lake - CLOSED

Swan Lake
Cuisines: Russian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
“An excellent taste of Russia”
Reviewed 9 November 2013

I found Swan Lake after doing a search online for a Russian restaurant in Gloucestershire and I was so glad we found it. My My Russian friend thought it was fantastic, as did I and we were extremley impressed with the quality of the welcome, service and food. I would definitely recommend to anyone looking for excellent food

Leeds
“Nice experience, but only average food”
Reviewed 8 November 2013

An interesting concept - a Georgian restaurant in the Forest of Dean - and our group of 12 was keen to try it out. It worked on one level, as the staff were in traditional dress, and were keen to share their experience of Russia, and they certainly did everything to make our evening as good as possible, including giving advice on wine. However, while some of the dishes were very good (I liked the blinis with caviar as a starter, washed down with a shot of vodka), many were fairly average, and tended to taste much the same. It may well have been authentic, but it simply wasn't interesting or tasty enough. Worth one visit - we enjoyed our time there - but not one I would go back to.

Welsh Borders, UK
“Authentic Russian in the Forest of Dean”
Reviewed 6 November 2013

Another failed pub has become a tale of the unexpected. The Swan Lake, a five minute drive from the village of Drybrook, offers an interesting menu of Russian and Georgian dishes, a variety of Georgian wines, Russian beer and Armenian brandy, and some staple British grills for the faint-hearted. It also has a useful web page with photographs and descriptions of the dishes, so you can arrive with a good idea of what to expect.
The staff is effusive, friendly and helpful and the food is well presented and carefully cooked from fresh ingredients. Georgian wines are well worth trying; we had a good white by the glass and a bottle of fine, distinctive red. They also have the sweeter red wines that were popular in the few smart Moscow restaurants that existed in the nineties.
Our bill for starters of salmon caviar with blinis, walnut-stuffed baked aubergine, then a veal dish, a chicken dish and our drinks = oh, and very tasty Russian dark bread, was £80 and we left sated and happy.

Brockworth, United Kingdom
“Real Russian food in the Forest of Dean”
Reviewed 2 November 2013

My wife and I visited Russia a few years ago and enjoyed food there especially the soups. I was pleased to find Swan Lake restaurant by looking on the internet. Making a reservation over the phone was easy and straightforward. Menu offered good variety and we asked for Sibirsky Borsch and Solyanka soups as starters. They were both very nice and delicious , warm but not too hot and suitable for a cold November evening. For main course we had Pelmeny Sibirskie (pork and beef dumplings) and Baranina po Valiysky (Lamb) . They were very nicely flavoured and cooked well. It is a family run business and they were very friendly and welcoming.

Northampton, United Kingdom
“A wonderful surprise”
Reviewed 30 October 2013

We found this restaurant through online research prior to a visit to the Forest of Dean and thought we would give it a try as we had never been to a Russian restaurant. We were so glad that we did! We were made very welcome indeed by the proprietor and his staff (both members of the family) and the waiter explained the different drinks available. My husband was very impressed by the Russian beer (strong stuff!) and we both loved the Georgian red wine we chose. This was a whole new experience for us and we were really impressed by its rich flavour which went beautifully with the wonderful food, superbly cooked and beautifully presented. We feel the chef (the proprietor's wife) has a very special gift and we wished we were staying in the area longer so that we could go back and try some more dishes. The décor of the restaurant is lovely and we thought the beautiful Russian crockery and cutlery (delicately painted in warm colours) made a wonderful finishing touch. No dishwasher for these pieces - they are all lovingly washed by hand, I was told. There is no doubt that we shall be booking up again next time we are in the area and we would definitely and wholeheartedly recommend the restaurant.

• Visited October 2013