“My westie was so welcome”

The George Inn & Millingbrook Lodge
Ranked #1 of 1 Aylburton B&B and Inns
Reviewed 7 June 2014

What a lovely lodge & Inn, The owner was very friendly & helpfull. My little dog was given lots of fuss & treats,even a sausage at brekky. All the staff were lovely. Our room was large & very clean, overlooking the pretty gated garden, which was perfect for Harley to run around in safely. All very comfortable, Our full english was cooked to perfection, giving us a great start to the day. No problems with parking either. We would definately stay again. Our 2 nights were very enjoyable.

Room Tip: Preferably a back room by the garden would be quieter.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 18 May 2014 via mobile

When we arrived Booking.com had failed to inform The George that we needed an additional bed in our room. The staff dealt with this straight away and couldn't have been more helpful.
Our room was nicely furnished and very clean. The food was well presented and tasty. The staff were welcoming, friendly and courteous.
We would definately stay here again.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Alison W
Reviewed 23 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the millingbrook lodge for 2 nights whilst taking part in some activities in the area. The place looks very nice from the outside and there is ample parking which is always a bonus. We checked in at the pub across the road where someone then showed us to our room which was a kingsize suite and very nicely decorated with a very comfortable bed :) the bathroom was a lot more basic than the room itself which let it down a bit but with that said it was clean and plenty of hot water so didn't bother us.

We decided to eat at the attached George inn on one of the nights and enjoyed the food we ordered. Everything is cooked fresh so you do have to wait for your food but we didn't mind this! Staff were friendly and accommodating.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 April 2014

I have stayed here quite a few times in the last 3 years due to business visits to the area, always had a very pleasant stay, the staff are very friendly and welcoming and the rooms are all nice, clean and always warm as you like (if in the winter). The bathrooms can be a little on the small side, but its not a big issue for me.
It is in a lovely tourist area too, although I didn't get time to take in the local scenic routes due to the fact I had to work!
The George Pub is also very friendly, locals are all nice and the food has always been very good, breakfast is great (full English cooked fresh at your time).
The pub has a quiz night on Wednesday's if you want to test your knowledge against (or join them) which is generally a busier evening.
The bar side has Big screen TV with Sky for all those that like their sport (like me) and you can eat there anyway.
All in all very nice, I will be staying there again for sure due to business, but I wouldn't be against staying there for a nice break too.
Thanks for pleasant stays.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank 2muchtravel
Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

My Husband and I spent one night at the Millingbrook lodge in room 12. The room was very clean, warm and spacious with 1 double and 2 single beds. Fantastic, large room for a very reasonable price!. We spent all evening at the George Inn where the landlord and landlady made us feel very welcome. We had a delicious dinner cooked by the owners daughter who is head chef. The decadent Oreo Jar we had for dessert made me at 6 months pregnant very happy indeed!! Following dinner we retired to the bar area where we played Jenga, Dominos, and cards all supplied by the Inn late into the evening. The locals and other guests were very chatty making the evening a memorable one. There were an excellent selection of ciders and ales for my husband. We will definitely be back before or after our little boy is born.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MrsSheppard1984
Reviewed 19 April 2014

Made our first visit to the George as it had been recommended as an excellent place for food. Nice atmosphere and polite staff but the food was a big disappointment. My started was 'stilton bites'. What I received was three potatoe balls with the faintest hint of stilton. I followed with a rump steak which I asked to be cooked medium rare and with a pepper sauce.. Alas it arrived very well done and the sauce was obviously made from a packed and not created by the chef. I won't rush back which is a shame but a chef that can't even cook a steak and it costs me £18 does not inspire my pallet or my pocket.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 April 2014

Maybe I should not have read previous reviews beforehand. The warm welcome did not happen. Staff did their job, however a young waitress who served us for our evening meal, was very pleasant and helpful, as was one of her colleagues. Could not fault the evening meal itself, however the breakfast, though good was not as good as similar hotels/Inns for the same price and we would have liked more of a smile by the person who served us. The bedroom was a twin room and was clean and bigger than normal and the decor and furniture was tasteful.. Bathroom extremely clean, however room and bathroom became extremely cold, as the heating is timed in the lodge, we phoned regarding this and in all fairness this was put right straight away, when the timer was advanced.Our bedroom may not have been best placed as we were in what can only be called a basement room, which overlooked a big refuse bin (although this area was kept clean), as was the rest of the grounds. I had stereophonic snoring for quite a bit of the night, between my husband and one of the other bedroom's guests which was either above or next to us. Be warned mobile phone signal is not good and you have to walk to the top of the car park to get a signal, which worried us because we needed to be on the other end of the phone at all times. I would certainly not tell anyone not to stay at this hotel, as I find each to his own, however both myself and my husband thought there was something lacking, which makes us say we would not rush to stay there again.

Room Tip: Can only comment on room 5 which has been explained in our review.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Aylburton
Stowfield Barn
#4 of 4 in Parkend
Littledean House Hotel
Littledean House Hotel
#2 of 2 in Littledean

Been to The George Inn & Millingbrook Lodge? Share your experiences!