“Unpretentious exterior hides a gem”

Severn & Wye Smokery
Price range: US$3 - US$67
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Severn and Wye Smokery is an award-winning artisan and family-run business situated on the picturesque banks of the River Severn. We produce and supply world renowned smoked and fresh products to various high-class establishments, such as, Selfridges, Harvey Nichols, Fortnum & Mason, Harrods, and The Ritz. The business has excellent ethics and a zero carbon footprint. The Smokery shop has one of the country's best fish counters, a delicatessen packed with amazing homemade pates, salads and cured fish. The café has a great selection of cakes, light bites and stunning expertly cooked simple seafood dishes. The restaurant is open Monday to Saturday 12:00-14:30 and Friday evening 17:00-21:00 with more evenings to follow.
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Saw a local advert for this establishment, and decided to call in after a pleasant walk in Lydney Park. I drove straight past it at first and had to turn around. Anyway, the place is fantastic. Suggest you don't look at the delicatessen until after you've eaten, or you'll buy too much! Sadly no kedgeree - we didn't arrive until 2pm, but the smoked eel fillet was excellent. One of our party is not big on fish, but was very well satisfied with Thai style prawns with noodles. The staff are very friendly and helpful, and the range of cheeses, meat, and fish on sale was good. We bought several cheeses of local origin. Strangely no wild boar on sale here or anywhere nearby, given the amount af damage to roadsides and gardens by the proliferating Dean herd.

Reviewed 15 April 2014

I'd heard good things about this place, and they exceeded my expectations. I was a little concerned whether they would be child friendly, as we were 3 adults + 3 children at 5, 8 & 6 months. I need not have worried. They couldn't have been more helpful and the kids were fine. The menu was interesting and imaginative, the meal was served promptly, and the food was hot, tasty and well priced. They were short staffed, but despite this they were friendly and efficient. I really couldn't have been happier with our visit to this establishment. I'm just miffed that despite having lived in the area for years. that I've never been before! We will be putting that right over time.

1  Thank Nick_Stewart_12
Reviewed 14 March 2014

Excellent lunch of Kedgeree and fish and chips. It is such a shame that the cafe is not a little more seperate from the shop area.

Reviewed 11 March 2014

This is a smokery and a delicatessen but with tables for lunch. The menu listed several very tempting fish dishes but we all chose the traditional option. We got the most beautifully cooked, lightly battered fish with more chips than I could manage, mushy peas and, a real treat, proper - not gloopy - tartare sauce. The service was pleasant and helpful, my mother-in-law was offered a smaller serving which was just right for her. I do recommend this as an excellent place for lunch we shall certainly return to sample the salmon, the prawns, the smoked slate......

1  Thank Patricia E
Reviewed 9 March 2014 via mobile

We visit here regularly to purchase fish, cheese,olives. We have also called in for coffee and cake. The staff are very friendly and also very welcoming! See you soon! Excellent local business