“Idyllic location, great experience.”
Review of The Fountaine Inn

The Fountaine Inn
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub, International
Good for: Kids, Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly, Local cuisine, Bar Scene, Groups, Romantic, View
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Idyllic location, great experience.”
Reviewed 29 June 2014

What a treat it was to discover this Inn in such an idyllic and beautiful location. We sat outside, ordering was easy, the menu is extensive and delicious. There's a little stream across from the Inn and the staff gave us some bread to feed the ducks.Very friendly approachable staff. We'd love to come back and stay sometime.

• Visited June 2014

Vancouver, Canada
“Previously better.”
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Recently I returned to visit the Fountain, as I do when back in the UK and this time it let me down. The pint was average and the food very much so. On the ploughman's wooden plank served to my father, the pork pie was hard and dry with a poor meat to pastry ratio. The proportions of the lunch were all wrong with great mounds of chutney and too little cheese. The plank itself had seen better days and I was somewhat concerned about the cleanliness of the wood when there are many surface scratches. My vegetables were again too large in amount and had an off flavour, my pork loin was way too salty. Sorry Fountain I'll try you again in a year or so, maybe it was just a substitute chef or something.

• Visited May 2014
“Hungry Hikers”
Reviewed 16 June 2014 via mobile

On my annual holiday with my sister in her motorhome, we always enjoy seeking out pubs with non plastic food! The Fountaine certainly ticked all our boxes! (Although I was really in the mood for liver for some strange reason, but settled for Cumberland sausage and mash,
as liver didn't appear on the menu!!!). My sister opted for the homemade steak pie and declared it one of the best steak pies she had ever had. Like a previous reviewer, we always feel it is a shame veg has to be added on as an extra, but I guess proprietors have to make a living?!? We would have loved to squeeze in a pud, but even after a decent walk beforehand, we were stuffed! I feel we will be back before the end of our hol. One thing to note , there are daily specials on a sheet of paper which we weren't made aware of when asking for menus.

Selby, United Kingdom
“Fantastic find - definitely one to go back to”
Reviewed 14 June 2014

A great pub in a fabulous location, overlooking the village green with a stream babbling through it.

The food was great, and the portions were very generous – after a late breakfast I didn't want a huge lunch, so I just had a starter (warm duck and potato salad, off the specials menu). A huge plateful arrived, which was delicious but filling, so a good thing that I hadn't tucked into the bucket of fresh bread, or I probably wouldn't even have managed a whole starter! I can't imagine ever having the appetite to eat a full main course after a starter that size, so be warned!

The menu looked great – one of those where you want to keep going back to try everything because it's such a difficult decision picking one thing and not having all the others. The service was spot on – attentive but not intrusive, friendly but not fawning. Prices were as you would expect for a good pub in the Dales, at £6.50, my starter/lunch was excellent value, but main courses are naturally more expensive.

• Visited June 2014
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Great food”
Reviewed 12 June 2014

The food was very good. We didn't have to wait long and the waitress was very attentive when we dined in the restaurant. The next evening we ate in the bar and although we had the same menu and paid the same we didn't get the attentive service as the night before.

Visited June 2014