“Excellent meal”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

We decided to go here on a whim as have never tried it before but what a gem. We arrived and found a lovely table in the corner. After looking at the menu we chose mackerel pate and whitebait to start followed by fish pie for myself, steak and kidney pudding for my husband and the burger for my daughter. When the starters and mains arrived they were huge, easily shared. The burger arrived on a wooden board which was a nice touch and had a generous portion of fries. My fish pie was probably the best I have ever had with huge pieces of fish and the right amount of sauce. It was so big I couldn't finish it but my husband did. The only thing that ruined our meal was a couple of rude customers on a different table who clearly thought they were important but that isnt The Hero's fault. We will definitely be back. Fantastic meal x

1  Thank hungry1232013

Reviewed 16 August 2014

Can't go far wrong visiting a pub on a nice sunny day and this fitted the bill well. Ok food, good service. Nothing spectacular but perfectly acceptable for a pub lunch. Very good overall.

1  Thank cannonfodder_12
Reviewed 12 July 2014

The food was good and the welcome was warm. The Chicken and Peanut Thai Patties I had for a starter was poor and I wouldn't recommend them. However, the Homemade 10oz burger was pretty special.

1  Thank WHW_Walker
Reviewed 11 July 2014

I arrived off the coast hopper bus just outside "The Hero",as I entered I was greeted by happy and lovely staff who quickly got me a drink. The restaurant is a bright and welcoming place. My friends and i sat outside in the court yard and we had some sandwiches which were made on beautiful granery bread.The restaurant was quite busy and the food took a little while to get to us but this was completly understandable. We enjoyed a coffee each and then got the coast hopper back. I'd recommend it.

Reviewed 11 July 2014

Turned up on a Thursday night and were warmly welcomed by the front of house staff, nice atmosphere and clean, modern decor. The food we ordered tasted great, and would especially recommend the pork casserole, and the steak and kidney pudding which my husband had. Desserts were lovely too. Good portion sizes and nicely presented. Would definitely recommend a visit and will be buying another bag of the homemade fudge whilst I'm there!