“more bang for the buck than most dining pubs with rooms and the best I have visited in the area”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Marsden
The Olive Branch Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Marsden
Reviewed 15 June 2011

This a real find; reasonably close to the M62 and neatly bisecting Leeds and the culinary wasteland that is Manchester. Avoids needing to trek further north to the many splendid place in North Yorkshire for a good pub/restaurant with rooms.

If you can get it, the room and fixed-price menu deal is bordering on criminal in the customers favour: checked into a spacious room with good bathroom before a pint of great local beer then a generous silky slab of chicken liver terrine. Small but juicy, rib-eye steak to follow was served nicely on a small chopping board with a huge mushroom, a sprig of oven-roasted tomatoes and a basket on sinful, tobacco fries. The accompanying vegetable were fine but superflous in my opinion and not quite as modish as the rest of the meal. An acid test of a kitchen, creme brulee, to round things off was authentic but pleasantly unctious with a nice thick caramelly topping. Reading this back, it sounds like unadventurous comfort food which is anything but the case. This is a skilful kitchen working with good ingredients producing fairly adventurous comfort food at a very reasonable price in comfortable surroundings with excellent service and quality wine choices by the glass, again at very fair prices.

Sorry to bang on about the fair prices but it is so rare to find anywhere of this calibre that is affordable for private or small business accounts. On this showing, I'll venture into the more expensive ala carte menu next time I visit. All in all, more bang for the buck than most dining pubs with rooms and the best I have visited in the area.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank DTT1963

Reviewed 11 March 2011

This is a small village pub/restaurant with a handful of rooms reached via a staircase accessed through a separate 'front door'. We spent two nights and had dinner and a full breakfast the first night, and just the room and 'inclusive' breakfast on the second.
The room was spacious, simply but comfortably furnished and pleasant. (Although the rooms are themed, and the giraffe in ours - themed "Serengeti" - found itself tucked behind the wardrobe as it was a bit odd trying to go to sleep with it watching!) The bed was comfy and we slept very well. There was a television, with a DVD player and a handful of DVDs, and a stereo with some CDs. (I think we could have asked for a wider selection). The bathroom was a good size, with a window (to me, much nicer than a box chopped out of a room inside a big hotel with no natural light.) There were mini bottles of shower gel and shampoo and big fluffy towels. Everything was spotlessly clean.
Outside the rooms, at the end of the corridor, is a dresser with a kettle, plenty of teabags, mugs and a coffee machine, and a small fridge where you can get real milk for your tea, complimentary water, and other drinks on an 'honesty bar' basis. (You own up when you check out, and they add the cost to your bill).
Our dinner inclusive rate was very simple - you could have any starter, main and pudding option from the menu - and there was plenty of choice. The restaurant is not fussy, with chunky tables and open fires, but the food was gorgeous... everything we ate was delicious. The service was very friendly, for example, when I was indecisive about which wine I wanted, I was offered a taster to help me make up my mind, and the lady serving us was most concerned that I should have all three courses, since they were all paid for. (I am glad I held out and didn't have a starter, as it meant I could manage a pudding, which was the most fabulous sticky toffee pudding.)
Breakfast was also delicious, obviously really good quality ingredients and well cooked. (If you are on a room only rate, breakfast is £12.50 which seems fairly expensive, but actually the quality of the food is much better than a lot of chain hotels where they charge this much or more, and our DBB £135 rate was a bargin considering what we would have been prepared to pay for dinner.)
On our second morning we didn't have the cooked breakfast, but a bundle of yummy brioche bread was left by the tea, coffee and cereals outside our room for us to toast, which meant we could have breakfast in bed and a time of our choosing.
The place is clearly run by a small group of people who take a great deal of pride in making their guests feel at home. They were open about the limitations of their size, but I would rather stay here than a corporate hotel any day.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Flowerbob
Reviewed 6 March 2011

Myself and my boyfriend visited the Olive Branch for the first time for a meal. All we can say is that it was fantastic. The service was top rate, the food was beautiful and the price was reasonable. We have dined at many top rate restaurants around Manchester, Lancs and Yorkshire and I have to say that this will take some beating. I can't believe some of the negative comments on here, however a few do relate to the accommodation, which we can't comment on. We ordered from the a la carte menu. Very good choice of dishes, very reasonable, well worth the trip across from lancashire. One tip.. Try the trio of chocolate. It's to die for!! We will be certainly visiting again soon. Bravo!

• Stayed: March 2011
1  Thank Bowergirl
Reviewed 13 December 2010

Having recently moved to Huddersfield I decided to take my husband to the Olive Branch for a meal on his birthday. It was a dreadful dissapointment and terribly over-priced. To add insult to injury the service was strangly off-hand.
The foi gras was hard, buttery with no detectable trace of cognac. The fillet beef strips with brandy sauce and mushrooms was not great quality and the mushrooms were uncooked. The scallops were overcooked. In general the flavouring was very heavy handed.
At about £10 per head for a starter and approaching £20 for a main the place is very over-priced. We can only assume that as another reviewer suggests the restaurent has changed hands since it received its AA Rosettes and Good Food Guide recommendations. Sadly we won't be going back.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 November 2010

We stayed here for the weekend for a wedding. Had truly amazing food on the friday night, ordered brekkie in bed on Saturday morning and I had what I think is the best scrambled eggs I've ever had!! The rooms were large, bed large and really comfortable. They had a lovely policy of having an honesty bar with some nibbles if you got hungry in the night.

My only criticism was that the shower didn't work and a slightly scary woman came and told us to leave immediately when we had gone passed our check-out time. We didn't realise what time checkout was, so I felt that she could have been a little more polite.

That said, the girl running the bar was sooooo nice to us on Friday night and even stayed open late to let us finish up. She was so polite and made the whole stay even more pleasant.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 August 2010

We were shown to the Serengeti room, this was a clean contemporary room with large en suite bathroom. The menu offered a good selection to cater for all of our needs. We all agreed that it was tasty and good value for money. The wine list, again catered for all budgets, although some wines were a little overpriced (I had a bottle of the McHenrys the previous night elsewhere and it was £6 cheaper!).
Breakfasts were good and freshly cooked and set us up for the rest of the day
My only moan is that there was no dressing gowns in the room as the modesty bar is outside the rooms - so if you go out to make an early morning cuppa - you may see some things you really don't want to!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 June 2010

A traditional roadside pub skillfully converted into a great restaurant with terrific food. You'd be hard pressed to find such an interesting and varied menu - and of course Yorkshire portions! If you're looking for boring standard hotel rooms then this is not for you. If you're looking for something different done with style and good taste then give the Olive Branch a try - you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marsden
The Old Golf House Hotel Huddersfield
Cedar Court Hotel Huddersfield/Halifax
Cambridge Hotel
Cambridge Hotel
#2 of 14 in Huddersfield

Been to The Olive Branch Inn? Share your experiences!