“Great food with ecletic rooms - loved it!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Marsden
The Olive Branch Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Marsden
Reviewed 17 June 2010

A traditional roadside pub skillfully converted into a great restaurant with terrific food. You'd be hard pressed to find such an interesting and varied menu - and of course Yorkshire portions! If you're looking for boring standard hotel rooms then this is not for you. If you're looking for something different done with style and good taste then give the Olive Branch a try - you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 4 June 2010

I used to visit this place years back and it was superb. Not anymore, either new ownership or the proper chef left. Perhaps ambitious but lobster thermidore with seafood used to be ok in Marsden - 40 mins from Manchester's fine fish market. I had raved about the food to my friend and was embarrassed by firstly the flippant service, no soda for a martini, placed in an empty, soulless back room, no offer to taste the wine (this at prices which are the most we'd seen outside of Yorkshire's Michelin rated establishements) we persevered until the lobster arrived, a freezer burned shell with pre frozen sliced up scallops, prawns and a game of spot the lobster meat, 3 measly pieces, some of which were a strange shade of green, not the tomally or brain grey colour either, vile sauce. Response to complaint will become an episode for a sitcom, the waitress doesn't like fish so couldn't judge the green bit, it went back to the kitchen and came back out again, nothing wrong according to chef. We paid for the drinks and left. I have the trots today so to anyone out there wanting a decent meal in Marsden, AVOID THIS PLACE LIKE THE PLAGUE.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 May 2010

Having been completely taken in by the appealing website of this "Restaurant with Rooms" I expected much better than the nightmare to be found. The bedroom was dreadful - we were in the Serengeti Room - and I couldn't believe that on a King-size bed, they had stretched over the mattress a 4'6" size "fitted" sheet! The bed was very uncomfortable indeed. The bathroom however, was quite clean. But I could not get the coffee machine to work (on the shared landing) although there were some quite nice biscuits on the tray.

The evening meal, to which we had looked forward for a long time, was nothing special, in fact greatly over-priced. But worse was to come - throughout the whole of the night I had the most awful diarhoea - obviously somthing was seriously wrong with the food I had eaten.

Consequently, the following morning I did not feel well, and when we arrived downstairs for breakfast, both my husband and myself (still feeling poorly) wanted just a very light "tea and toast" type breakfast. We were told in no uncertain terms that our breakfast (which we had had to order the night before!!) was ALREADY COOKED and waiting!! What on earth did they mean??? You can't pre-cook a full English breakfast ... can you? ... ... oh yes, they CAN at the Olive Branch!! Even the egg, which had obviously been pre-cooked for some time. I would also add that the milk for the tea was NOT fresh milk, something like UHT, the sugar was (I suspect) "Splenda", the Cornflakes were NOT Kelloggs. The toast was weird, the "bacon" was some sort of thick sliced "stuff" - in fact, everything was totally inedible.

This was supposed to be a treat for my husband and myself, after a very long and tiring 2009 - but we came away totally and utterly disappointed. Whatever you do, do not visit this place. it is truly dreadful.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 March 2010

luckily I didn't read the reviews of this "restaurant with rooms" until we returned from our weekend away - otherwise the previous poor reviews would have made us wary and we wouldn't have had a very enjoyable evening out. Its a pub restaurant with a great menu and an extensive wine selection. The restaurant was very busy and had a good atmosphere. We really enjoyed our stay here. Yes its on a main road so there are cars passing occassionally and yes you can hear the noise from the restaurant while you are in your room so it might not suit all. However, if you are a fan of this formula, love great food and a good bottle of wine without worrying about the drive home you might enjoy a stay here. The waiting staff are clearly not silver service trained but they are very friendly and welcoming. If you enjoy the tradition of "tasting" the wine and watching the waiter balance numerous plates up their arms etc maybe this isn't somewhere that would suit you. Rooms are clean and comfortable. There is use of a nespresso machine but do take your own coffee capsules. There is also use of a toaster but we would recommend breakfast in the restaurant.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 February 2010

On booking, we were made aware that our table (booked at 18:45) would need to be released at 21:00. We were visiting the area, and didn’t need a specific “Valentine’s Dinner”, but were happy to go along with it. The fixed cost was £40/ head + drinks (approx 50% inflated from the standard A La Carte menu).

On arrival, we were given a drink and taken to our table. A wide range was on offer from the menu, and we made a selection. Then the sense of the “production line” kicked in. Some bread arrived, but we were barely given chance to eat it, before an attempt was made to clear it, so that the starter could be served. A big disappointment – my parma ham had been sitting in the olive oil dressing for so long it had soaked it up, turning it to a slimy tasteless mess. At this point the wine arrived, and was unceremoniously dumped on the table, unopened – it would have remained there unless we had poured it ourselves.

Throughout the meal, an army of untrained and inexperienced waitresses walked constant circuits of the room, enabling them to remove plates as soon as we let go of our cutlery. We requested a 20 min break before the main course arrived, and the were told that this would need to be checked with the chef – we were granted permission for the intermission!

Main course – two lamb shanks, which were huge (mutton dressed as lamb?), tasteless, and needed to be sawn off the bone. This took quite some effort to eat, but each time we rested our cutlery back on the plates, someone assumed we had finished and tried to clear our meals. Eventually, we let them go, but the waitress departed so rapidly we didn’t get the request for another break in quick enough, and the dessert arrived 90 seconds later. We sent it away. It returned 15 mins later, and although obviously pre-prepared, was surprisingly good.

During our main course, we saw another couple being served coffee – they hadn’t ordered it and didn’t want it, but the waitress expressed some concern – surely they wanted coffee because “it was included in the price”.

Then, at 20:30, a waitress appeared and asked if we had a taxi arranged – a thinly-veiled “please leave”!

If we hadn’t requested to slow the pace, we would have been in and out within 45 mins, like the couple at the adjacent table. The restaurant website states “All our dishes are prepared and cooked freshly to order so all meats and fish can be cooked to your liking and served simply garnished. Please do not order if you are in a hurry.” Really?

Nobody bothered to bring the bill to the table, so we left and paid at the bar. We mentioned to the manageress that we were disappointed and felt as if we had been on a production line. Sadly, no “Olive Branch” was offered – simply a smile and the comment “we don’t have double-sittings on all the tables”.

To sum up, an expensive and charmless experience. We won't bother to go back.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 June 2009

We requested a table "with a view" for a special celebration (60th Birthday Party), overlooking the moors. I had to chase my initial email as no reply was received; eventually they replied and confirmed that would be no problem. We turned up on the day to find that they had subsequently received another booking (a christening) and decided to bump us down to one of the worst tables in the restaurant - it had no view and we were squashed in the corner right next to the kitchen, so we had a continual stream of people going past. When I complained, the owner told me that they had received the christening booking and decided NOT to call me, because THEY decided it wasn't an important part of our booking to have a nice view (even though I had specifically requested it). Even though my complaint email was extremely polite, I received a very rude and arrogant email back. The food / meal was fine, but the attitude from the manager was appalling. AVOID IF YOU DON'T LIKE POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE!

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank tafulleruk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marsden
The Old Golf House Hotel Huddersfield
Best Western Pennine Manor Hotel
Huddersfield Central Lodge Hotel
Cedar Court Hotel Huddersfield/Halifax
Premier Inn Huddersfield Central Hotel

Been to The Olive Branch Inn? Share your experiences!