“"A bit dissapointed"”

Ranked #1 of 2 Marsden B&B and Inns
Nottingham
“"A bit dissapointed"”
Reviewed 20 March 2014

We were originally going to stay here last October for the jazz festival with my elderly parents but unfortunately my husband had to have a triple by pass. Dan very kindly transferred our deposit for us to stay in March for which I was really looking forward

Rooms very nice but onto the main road if you are a light sleeper take ear phones because traffic is going all through the night, my parents hardly slept! Baths very high so awkward getting in & out they had to have a strip wash both nights, not good for the elderly!!

We were served breakfast the first morning by the chef due to shortage of staff, very friendly & food lovely cooked. The only criticism was one of each cereal & jam/marmalade what if 2 of us wanted the same, I had to ask for extra marmalade.

The first day we didn't have any heating so I put the bath towels over the bath very crumpled up but they were not changed, I felt it was a bit of inconvenience asking the duty manager for another set of towels: she said there should be a sign saying save the environment please put your towels inside the bath if you want them changed, but no there wasn't but in any case I think the chambermaid should of used her initiative & I only put them there because we didn't have heating to dry them!!! I was happy to say we did have heating the following day

We had made arrangements to eat in Leeds on the Monday but have full intentions to eat @ the New Inn on the Tuesday night but unfortunately the chef had fallen down the steps after breakfast on Monday so they had to have apparently a third chef in to cook. The manager was very apologetic & said the only things he couldn't cook was the gammon & the mussels, I really didn't have any faith in the explanation so we decided to eat in the Riverhead (Excellent Choice)

Pub could be a thriving business but I wouldn't be surprised if it loses a lot of trade to the Riverhead

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank DebsInk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Birmingham
Reviewed 27 February 2014 via mobile

We have stayed here twice and will be booking here again. Very pleased with the room and food. Good atmosphere in the bar.We have eaten in the restaurant one evening and there was plenty of choice.We were very glad that the New Inn was so well heated as both times we stayed the weather was very cold. We are looking forward to our next visit and warmer weather.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Holmfirth
Reviewed 19 January 2014

I have been three times now, I have eaten the hot sandwiches as well as the full meals.
Not been disappointed in any of it. Friendly staff and they allow dogs in.

the real high point was the pudding, I am a bit of a pudding snob but the sticky toffee pudding was divine, my friend had the baked American cheese cake which made me want some of that too.

The price is really good as well, they do a special deal on Sunday lunch which make it even better.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Ellsmum
Hereford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 December 2013

Stayed at the New Inn recently for two weeks. The staff were friendly and welcoming and on top of the great food the Inn still had that friendly - perfect, local pub feel. Best Fish and Chips I have ever eaten,,,,hats off to the chef, would recommend this and the beef and ale pie amongst the great food on offer. Marsden as a village is close to the beautiful Yorkshire Moors a great little village with a number of good pubs - ideal.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Paul C
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 November 2013

Had lunch here on a Sunday afternoon. It was lovely to have real homemade chips and the steak and ale pie was gorgeous too. Staff warm and friendly and they allowed us to stay in their car park whilst we walked around the local shops.I was permitted to use my electronic cigarette , which also made me feel even more welcome.
Definitely would return and recommend to friends. The rooms looked nice too in the brochure and would like to stay if over that way again.

Room Tip: Didn't stay overnight.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank veronicagoldie
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 November 2013

We stayed for 1 night in this lovey hotel/pub for a nice night away from the daily grind. The room was cosy and wecolming. We also ate here and the menu was really good. We opted for 2 starters and mussels for our main.All washed down with some very nice wine. It is a very inexpensive menu but top quality and beautifully presented. We also had opted for breakfast and this was of a very high standard too. The pub itself is set in a beautiful village which is well worth a wander around. We will definetly be going back.

• Stayed November 2013
Ambleside, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 September 2013

Stayed for 1 night while attending a nearby wedding.Room was average and had a good nights sleep.The bathroom was well appointed and had a really good hot shower.We were at the front of the hotel and there was some road noise but not too bad.The breakfast was excellent and plenty of it.Perhaps a bit pricey for a pub B&B but understandable due to its location.

Room Tip: Avoid room 3 because of road noise.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marsden
Best Western Pennine Manor Hotel
Saddleworth Hotel
#1 of 1 in Delph
Huddersfield Central Lodge Hotel
Premier Inn Huddersfield Central Hotel

Been to The New Inn? Share your experiences!