“Dim Lighting and no fire Spoils Ambience”
Review of The Swan Inn

The Swan Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in Carleton
Price range: US$11 - US$17
Cuisines: British, Pub, Brew Pub
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Bar Scene
Dining options: Reservations
Description: The Swan Inn at Carleton is a traditional English village pub situated in the Aire Valley, close to the market town of Skipton, North Yorkshire. The Swan Inn offers cask conditioned beers, ciders and lagers and an excellent selection of fine wines. Using locally sourced produce, The Swan Inn serves freshly prepared delicious home cooked meals, available to eat in the pub, restaurant or take-away. From a pint to a cocktail, from a sandwich to a business lunch, whether you're having a snack at lunchtime or coming in for a drink with friends in the evening, you'll be assured a warm welcome everytime. Well behaved children accompanied by an adult are welcome at The Swan Inn until 8pm and free WiFi is avaliable. Experience the welcoming atmosphere, with open fires and friendly staff.
Reviewed 12 April 2014

The only negatives are the lack of a fire in the chimney and poor lighting. The main reason for the visit, the food is very, very good. We live local and had not been to the Swan in years, a previous landlord having let the place go! Now it really is a good dining experience. My wife and I both had steaks and they were cooked to perfection! The accompanying chips and pepper sauce were,in my case the best I had been served in a long time. My wife had a rib eye steak without the sauce and really rated it, onion rings ought to have been homemade but were out of a packet,but that's just a small point. Bar service was cheerful and attentive and the mother and daughter comb is an asset to the place!. We will be back shortly.

Paul S, Owner at The Swan Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 13 April 2014

Hi. My apologies for the lack of fire when you visited this weekend. We spend well with Anchor logs throughout the winter season and sometimes overlook the drop in weather conditions where, and you are right to point out, that the fire should be lit. The lighting is new, with the main bulk head lights on the place is too bright so we opted for the softer approach, something that we must look at to see if we can make suitable changes. Thank you for your feedback, I look forward to your next visit... Paul (Owner)

Reviewed 3 April 2014

A friendly village inn serving very good food at reasonable prices combined with a comfortable ambience & a welcoming feel from all the staff.

Paul S, Owner at The Swan Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2014

Thank you very much for your positive feedback. If ever you are passing through again we would look forward to seeing you again. Thank you, Paul.....

Reviewed 16 March 2014

We visited on a Sunday lunchtime and were impressed with the ambience, decor, attentive staff, food (especially the food), and reasonable prices. Everything really. Well done and keep it up.

Reviewed 6 March 2014

Friendly staff and first rate food in a good village pub
Dissapointed it was Bingo night not quiz night

Reviewed 17 February 2014

My husband and I were staying in Carleton and had seen the great reviews here on Trip Advisor. We booked for the Saturday night and were told there was a 21st party on but that it would be in the 'other' part of the pub. When we arrived, the 21st was taking place in the dining section as well so there was endless 'Agadoo'(spelling?!) from the DJ which wasn't quite the chilled ambience we were hoping for.
I've got to say that the staff were lovely; really polite and friendly. I enjoyed a gorgeous Brie starter (huge portion!) and my husband said his tomato soup was delicious too. We both opted for lasagne and were pleased that it came with salad, chips AND garlic bread. We were, however, way too full to finish and sadly had to leave quite a bit.
We were staggered that 2 starters, 2 mains and 2 drinks came to only £34. Superb value just a pity that we couldn't enjoy a long. leisurely meal and drinks as the disco was really ramping up. I think, to be fair, that it was a party for one of the members of staff and was, in all likelihood, a one off.

The only other thing that stops this from being 5 stars was the hostile, angry locals on the next table. I kept getting unwarranted 'evils' from a couple of 20-something girls who, along with their partners were moaning and complaining about their food. Still, you can't blame a pub for the oddness of their clientele!
We would visit again.