“Just Drive Straight Past”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of The Lobster Pot

The Lobster Pot
Ranked #4 of 4 Restaurants in Marloes
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Child-friendly, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Drinks, Dinner, After-hours, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff
Description: Pub
Llandysul, United Kingdom
“Just Drive Straight Past”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

I have eaten in a fair few places in my sixty seven years, but I have to say this was probably the worst dining experience I have had EVER. The evening started inauspiciously when my partner was served a glass of undrinkable red wine. There was no apology from the gruff landlord, no offer of replacement and no acknowledgement that anything was amiss. Perhaps he was unaware that there is a difference in wine between vintage and old.

Not to be deterred we ordered our meal with a helpful and charming waitress. Unfortunately this was to be the last, indeed only, positive of the evening. Our food arrived promptly enough but was dumped in front of us by a callow and unsmiling waiter patently in need of some training. My own gammon was a poor average bit of meat out of the freezer and much the same could be said for my sons' steak and ale pie and salmon. My partner's John Dory, however, was positively rancid and totally inedible. All our vegetables were stone cold and the salads were tiny and limp. We thought better not to endure the deserts and joined the exodus of grim faced fellow diners to the exit after stumping up and exorbitant amount of money for a very poor product.

If you are in Marloes during the day I would highly recommend the Clock House, only a few yards further on towards Dale where the staff are lovely and the food from the thoughtful menu is excellently cooked. Moreover the Griffin Inn in Dale is only a couple of miles away and knocks spots off this shambolic, useless dump of a place. A pity, because the Lobster Pot looks really inviting from the outside. Don't be tempted!

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank Michael T

Harlow, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“I like the Lobster Pot”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2014

I have stayed here a few times, most recently April 25th to 29th 2014. My room was comfortable and spotlessly clean. I ate in the restaurant each evening having large, tender, tasty steaks, fresh fish in crispy batter - all very nice. Breakfast was on offer from 6.00am to 9.00am. I found the landlord, landlady and all the staff friendly and helpful. They are not servile and obsequious but I prefer to work on an equal footing with people - I don't expect them to be my servants. Can I suggest that if you do have a problem in any pub or restaurant, you should speak quietly to the staff, not complaining so that the whole room can hear! P.S. I was a woman travelling alone on this occasion and the landlord did not seem to have any problem with that. No, it is not 5 star hotel, but it does not claim to be. It is a nice local pub with comfy accommodation and good grub.

• Visited April 2014
Milford Haven, United Kingdom
“Fair Enough”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2014

Located in the far West of Pembrokeshire, in a mainly tourist area. We went at lunchtime in quiet time of year, we had two very good bowls of soup, served with a smile.Two/three groups of walkers seemed equally happy. Atmosphere nothing special. But no sign of problems referred to in earlier reviews, we would certainly go again - on paper, the full menu looked good.

• Visited March 2014
Carmarthen, United Kingdom
“Horendous landlord!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2013

If you want a Basil Fawlty experience for real this is the place to go! The landlord is abusive and rude and physically barged me one evening. I will not go in there again even though I lived in the village for 13 years. The Griffin Inn in Dale is excellent with polite and friendly staff.

Visited November 2012
5 Thank ANMDavies
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“A warm welcome and good food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2013

After getting a soaking at nearby Martins Haven, we arrived hungry and wet and cold and were given a warm welcome. The pub had a nice friendly atmosphere and we had jacket potatoes with cheese and bacon and salad. The food was nicely cooked and presented and really hit the spot.
We then had a delicious dessert as well as a couple of cups of tea. Lovely clean place and friendly atmosphere.

• Visited October 2013