“Very popular at weekends”

Maffia's Bar & Brssserie
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 27 June 2014

My wife and I managed a late booking on a Sunday but only if we could dine before 18.00. It seems that the restaurant only opens Thurs-Sun and dining is restricted to early evenings.
However the restaurant was very busy, trendy and service was provided by several attractive young ladies. A drink at the bar was followed by a pleasant table for two in a corner.
The food when it came was plentiful and well presented but the service lacked the personal touch.

Reviewed 26 June 2014

I ordered sole fillets on a bed of asparagus. The fillets looked a very unhealthy grey, and tasted awful. I ate one of the four on the plate, and remarked to the waitress who cleared our plates that they were terrible and I thought probably frozen. The response from the management was foul mouthed and abusive. The chef said we were elderly fools and he hoped we died soon and that our deaths would be painful ! We are indeed elderly (78 & 79) but are quite capable of making informed judgments on the food we eat, We were ordered from the restaurant. At no time did any member of staff engage us in conversation about the meal or express any regret that we didn't enjoy it. All they would say amongst their foul mouthed abuse was that their restaurant didn't use frozen fish ! An appalling experience.

13  Thank Len D
Reviewed 21 June 2014

Found this lovely brasserie by chance and what a find!!! The sun was out so we sat outside in the lovely courtyard area. Plenty of shade too if you need it. The menu was varied and good value. My cod was very nicely cooked in a light beer batter, hubby's calves liver & bacon very tasty and my daughters's seafood linguine had a very good variety of seafood. Desserts followed with coffee with soft drinks came in under £50 very good value!!!
Give it a go I know you wont be disappointed.
143 Frinton Road, Holland-on-Sea, Essex CO15 5UR
Opening times12:00–2:00 pm, 6:30–9:30 pm

1  Thank elizabethl769
Reviewed 9 June 2014 via mobile

This restaurant is truly an Oasis in area of mediocrity , we had a fantastic meal at Mafia , and I would say the steak I had was the best I have ever had! , how they do it ? , love and dedication , the staff are top notch , look forward to going there again !!

Reviewed 8 June 2014

We had lunch at Maffias yesterday (Saturday). Lovely menu for all tastes. We opted to share a starter, goats cheese with salad, perfect size for two. Mains cod loin and belly pork, both tasty and nicely presented. Sadly the cheesecake had sold out for desert. Lovely and clean throughout with very good service. We shall return. Please can you open another restaurant nearer to where we live.