“Fred and fantastic food”
Review of Hotel Casa Ulrich

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Pearl Lagoon
Hotel Casa Ulrich
Reviewed 26 November 2012

It's worth staying at casa Ulrich just for the food! The rooms here are comfortable with private bathroom but the main reason i have rated this place excellent is because of the owner Mr Fred who is one of the nicest and most helpful people I've met on my travels and is an amazing chef. There are limited places to eat here and we tried a few other places in Pearl Lagoon but nothing could compare to Fred's cooking along with his friendly nature and advice. I ate the biggest and best lobster I've ever had at a price so cheap compared to back home, I'd also highly recommend the shrimp pasta and the breakfast. Fred has had a very interesting life and was happy to share with us stories of his travels and the history of his time in Nicaragua, which gave us a good insight into life out there. Fred also spend an afternoon trying to help us with some transport challenges so we could get to el Rama in time for the 9am express bus, there seemed to be no taxis as very few people have cars or those who did seemed to be waiting for the mechanic from blue fields to come and fix it, he hooked us up with a local minivan driver who gave us a very reasonable price for the 4 hour journey on a dirt road to el Rama, we would never have found this without Mr Fred.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends

Reviewed 24 November 2012

Casa Ulrich run by Fred and his wife is a great place to stay in Pearl Lagoon.

You will get to know his daughter and 2 granddaughters- a really nice family.

The rooms are very comfortable and have all the basics you need - private bathroom & AC.

Fred is a great chef and takes great pride in what he serves - you won't be disappointed.

Highly recommended!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 22 November 2012

Great views, the most amazing lobster I've ever had, every meal was brilliant but Mr Fred made it for us. He went out of his way to see we had what we needed, solved our transport challenges with his local contacts and kept us well fed and watered when ever we showed our faces. Great place.

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed 25 September 2012 via mobile

We arrived at pearl lagoon with no reservation,and to be honest out jaws dropped a bit when we saw the place.

We found casa UrlichWe and booked in. Rooms are clean but I imagine for pearl lagoon they are spotless air con works but no hot water.

But the owners are lovely and the bar resturant thu have is very cool. The steak was amazing!

They made us. Greg packed lunch for our trip!

Mr UrlichWe speaks perfect English and happy to share his knowledge.

Definetly reccomens staying here.

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed 3 July 2012

My girlfriend and I spent 3 nights here in February 2012 and left very happy! The rooms are nothing fancy, but very clean and include A/C and a very nice/comfortable bed. The food, while definately not authentic Nica cooking, is incredible! A nice change from the typical. The owner/chef has amazing tast and talent! The restaurant and bar have a great view! The Queen Lobster is a restraunt/bar down the road that can take care of you cravings for local food, they can also arange epic outing trips to the Pearl Keys! We were recomended to Casa Ulrich by some folks in Bluefields that run a B&B called Casa Rosa and a top notch sport fishing outfitter, also not to be missed! I would definately recomend some of the pasta dished at Casa Ulrich... the sauces he makes are amazing!
Directions:
Don't let yourself get hastled coming off the dock like we did, tell the local "guides" that want to walk you to your hotel that you know where you are going and to leave you alone, dont tell them where you are going or they will try to walk you there anyway and ask for money.... turn right on the first street with your back to the water and walk till you get there... pretty simple, and if you get lost, the Queen Lobster is about half way there and they will sell you a cold beer and tell you where to go!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Ephilipdoolan
Reviewed 4 June 2012

We stayed at Casa Ulrich in Pearl Lagoon for 2 nights. Fred and Reyna are excellent hosts and made sure we enjoyed our stay. We drove across the country, and the road between El Rama and Pearl Lagoon is an unforgiving 3-hr trek. We had some tire issues that we had to deal with once we arrived, and Fred helped us out by locating a tire we could purchase and then get another one patched up. Thankfully he handled the issue for us, so we were able to go out and enjoy a very relaxing and beautiful day in the Pearl Keys. Rooms have A/C (a plus) and the food is top-notch. We had excellent breakfast and dinner at their place!

Room Tip: Pearl Lagoon is pretty small and remote. Definitely arrange a trip to the Pearl Keys for the day to...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank laislita
Reviewed 23 January 2012

I came to Pearl Lagoon for a couple of nights and ended up staying 5! I loved this hotel. It's not luxurious, but relative to Pearl Lagoon it is. Spacious rooms, air conditioning, private bathrooms. However, what makes this place, are the fabulous owners. I was travelling solo and once I arrived I went straight to the bar/restaurant which has amazing views over the lagoon and was warmly welcomed by Mr Fred and his wife Reyna. I really felt looked after whilst I was there and would spend time chatting away with Mr Fred whilst he cooked his delicious meals - Fish in a coconut spicy sauce, fried breadfruit and plantain and his new creation, a Mr Fred Egg McMuffin! Even though I was travelling alone, the place was such that you could easily meet other travellers. I was really made to feel at home here and the day I left, I genuinely felt sad to be leaving such a great hotel and warm people. My favourite hotel in the whole of Nicaragua!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo

Been to Hotel Casa Ulrich? Share your experiences!