“Perfect anniversary treat” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Park Place Guest House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Llangattock
Park Place Guest House
Ranked #2 of 3 Llangattock B&B and Inns
Pewsey, United Kingdom
“Perfect anniversary treat”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2014

My husband and I stayed with Maxine as a short break to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary. I had originally planned to book a hotel in Abergavenny but my choices were fully booked by the time I had made my mind up so I looked online in the area and went by previous reviews. I am so pleased that Abergavenny was full.

Firstly, Maxine met us with a smile, coffee and home baked welsh cakes, as good as our old family friend Megan from Merthyr used to make. Then she showed us to our accommodation which was the lovely double plus twin room called Honeysuckle on the top floor. The views in both directions towards the hills (mountains?) were superb and the room itself was spacious and very comfortable with a lovely en suite shower room and all the usual things to make a stay enjoyable, including complementary chocolates on the bed each day. It was quite warm during our visit and we had the windows wide open at night and although there is a road at the front of the house it was not particularly busy and the noise did not affect us, even though our own home has no passing traffic at all so we are used to peace and quiet. The only thing to be aware of is that because the ceiling slopes you need to avoid the beams. It has to be said that if you are looking for contemporary style then Park Place is probably not for you, but it has solid traditional comfort and that almost indefinable commodity, a lovely atmosphere.

One aspect I particularly like about Park Place is that the guest house is separate from Maxine's family home, which is in the adjoining house. This means that guests have their own front door, dedicated guest lounge, etc. and you never feel that you are disturbing the family, but on the other hand Maxine is just next door and readily available if you have a problem.

When I made my booking, having read the various reviews, I got the telephone number from Park Place's own website and phoned direct to make my booking, thus saving Maxine having to pay booking fees to the online booking websites We paid a small deposit and then paid the balance at the end of our stay. We felt that we got excellent value for money as we had all the comforts you would expect without being in a faceless hotel room.

We had the full Welsh breakfast each morning, starting with cereals and fruit followed by the cooked breakfast comprising excellent locally sourced sausages and bacon, delicious mushrooms and tomatoes, black pudding, fried bread and eggs cooked according to your preference, together with plenty of toast, orange juice and coffee or tea. Needless to say this definitely sets you up for the day with only a very light lunch required.

Maxine gave us some recommendations on where to eat in Crickhowell, all of which were really good. The Dragon was lovely, a traditional setting with a slightly contemporary twist and excellent food. We also went to the Vine Tree, which is only two minutes walk from Park Place, and again the food was good and plentiful, the venison steak being devine. On our final evening we tried Red Indigo, where we had some of the best Indian food we have eaten for some time, another brilliant suggestion. Also, the area has beautiful countryside with amazing walking, lots of interesting attractions of all kinds close by, including castles, museums, heritage sites, steam railways, etc. Try Tretower Court and Castle ten minutes up the road for an interesting afternoon visit.

Maxine is a wonderful hostess, friendly and interested without being overbearing or intrusive, and I genuinely hope that we will be returning to Park Place before too long. Our weekend was truly memorable.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back of the house would probably be quieter, but our room had a window on the road side...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Alma F

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2014

I stayed for five nights. Very warm welcome from Maxine, very clean and comfortable room, fantastic breakfast. It felt like staying with friends. I'm fussy but I couldn't fault it, and very good value too. I've stayed elsewhere locally before, but next time I'll return to Park Place.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Croydon, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

When my wife and I arrived at the property I was greeted on first name terms. We were shown to the lounge and offered tea and coffee. We had arrived in early evening and Maxine (guest house owner) suggested a number of restaurants in the local area we could try.

The guest house was clean and tidy with a number of personal touches throughout.

The breakfasts - whether English, Welsh or continental - were of good sized servings.

The guest house is located about 10 - 15 minutes walk outside of Crickhowell but has more than adequate parking.

Information about the local area was readily available but did not detract from the appearance of the guest house.

We stayed in Rose Room which, at the time of the visit, had a private bathroom but this was not ensuite. I was told that works are being planned to make it so.

My wife and I are more than happy to return to the guest house.

• Stayed May 2014
Gloucester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2014

We really liked Park Place, lovely welcome with coffee & welsh cakes being served in the guest lounge before being shown to our room. We'd booked a room with a double & single bed and the hosts kindly let us have an adjacent single room for our daughter at no extra cost!
The rooms were nicely furnished and comfortable. Slight downsides were a lack of TV reception and a fair amount of road noise although the latter died down later in the evening.
The breakfast is superb.
There are plenty of good walks nearby, an easy one starts outside the B&B and takes you across fields, along the towpath, back through the village and back (via the pub which is handy!)
Overall highly recommended :)

Room Tip: The rooms all seemed good but would be worth getting one at the back of the building which would be...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
wiltshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2014

we stayed here for one night in April as part of our Beacon way trek. We arrived about 8.00 after walking for over 10 hours and we had a very warm and welcoming reception from the owner. She offered us a cup of tea, which we declined, and showed us to our room. We were situated in the attic bedroom.
The room was nice and clean and although there are two low beams they dont really cause a problem. There is a sink in the room and a shower room separate, which when occupied, would be shared with the other attic room.
We ate in the restaurant just down the road, as we had our two dogs, so needed a dog friendly place.
Breakfast was lovely with everything you expect of a full English.
We would recommend this place and would stay again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014

my partner stayed one night for 5 weeks and the I stayed myself for 2 nights. we had a amazing time the room rose was lovely and we had lovely nights sleep.
very warm welcome with tea/coffee and welshcakes when we arrived.
we love this B&B so much that we are taking my kids back to stay in the summer holidays
The breakfast are amazing are fill you up the rest of the day

Room Tip: rooms at the back are quieter
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Swansea, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2014

My wife and I stayed in the attic room for one night in March. We had a fantastic welcome from Maxine and her son. We were offered refreshments on arrival and were made to feel like old friends, rather than guests. The room had very good facilities with excellent views of this beautiful part of Wales. We slept like logs and woke to a great breakfast with plenty of choice.
If we visit this part of Wales again, we will stay at the Park Place Guest House.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Llangattock
The Old Rectory Country Hotel and Golf Club
#2 of 17 in Crickhowell
Dragon Inn Crickhowell
Dragon Inn Crickhowell
#4 of 17 in Crickhowell

Been to Park Place Guest House? Share your experiences!