“Romantic break”

The Old Rectory Country Hotel and Golf Club
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Llangattock
Reviewed 7 November 2013

What a great find best hotel I have been in what a welcome great room great food .what else can I say and I can't wait to go back .thanks Shaun and family for a great break we will be back for Xmas dinner and to see Shaun dressed as Santa and to get some more of that great cider down me and wine for the wife ha ha.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Martyn C

Reviewed 6 November 2013

Just returned from another wonderful night at The Old Rectory. Please ignore all negative comments by 'Disappointed' Hannah. You just have to read the other reviews to see how odd and unjustified her comments are. It almost sounds like she went to a different place!This place is special. The welcome is always amazing, the service always top class and the food always stunning. The rooms are beautifully decorated and it is set in such a stunning area, how anyone can complain about anything here is beyond me! Whenever I drive into the car park, I feel the stresses of the day lifting off my shoulders because I know from that moment on everything will be well taken care of. We have stayed here many times and we have always had excellent customer service. There is always a sign at reception if it is not manned to advise you to enquire at the bar, so reception was not 'abandoned' as suggested. And to make such a deal about being shown to her room is a little silly as it is not difficult to follow the signs, plus I think it unlikely she would have been shown to a room had she managed to get into her originally 'planned' local B&B. If you haven't been here, please do not be deterred by one review. They have a stunning menu ready for the Christmas period which would be a good way to test my comments regarding this special place.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank DebnMartMidGlamorgan
Reviewed 6 November 2013

First of all I cant praise this place highly enough! We had my friend's father's 70th birthday party there on Sunday and what a day it was. A beautiful building and setting. We were treated from the moment we entered to the moment we left. As for the food...what can I say...probably the best roast meal I have ever had....and believe me I've eaten out a lot!! I'm not exaggerating when I say every guest I spoke to said 'What a beautiful meal'. This place should be on everybody's to do list when in the area for food or even a quite drink. We traveled from Australia and are will certainly be back on our next visit. A big thank you to all the staff especially Sean for making this a most memorable day. Fabulous!!!

Room Tip: We didn't stay but the people who did said it was lovely!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Peter M
Reviewed 5 November 2013 via mobile

I booked two nights at The Old Rectory after reading several good reviews on Trip Advisor and after not being able to get a room at local B & B's nearby. First impressions were not good. In addition to the awful garish purple sign outside, there was a very strong unpleasant 'pub smell' on entry and the whole reception area seemed to have been abandoned and cordoned off! After a look around we went into the pub area to find a very busy solo bar tender. After enquiring with him he told us what room we would be in and asked if we would like to be shown to our room!? Um yes I think that would be nice! Quite disgruntled by this point my mood was slightly lifted when we entered our well sized room with en suite.

Attention to detail was lacking however. The bedpost kept falling off, very small tv that was quite pointless, jacuzzi bath tub didn't work and the hot water ran out half way through. There were some good points including beautiful views from the velux windows, plently of room and a decent hair dryer.

Ate out on our second night as the restaurant wasn't pleasant, whilst the food was ok the atmosphere wasn't...we also waited at the bar for about 15 minutes after our meal to get more drinks, giving up in the end.

When I settled the bill I was asked, by who I assume was the manager, if everything was ok. I only mentioned the jacuzzi not working as I thought it might need fixing before the next guest arrived, and I got not much more than a nod...so no apology and certainly no discount off the bill which was very pricey for rural Wales in a very mediocre hotel. I got the impression that they didn't really care whether or not we came back so long as they got our money this time. I also overheard the manager telling off another member of staff which I feel shouldnt be done in from of customers.

Overall a very underwhelming experience, luckily the weather and scenery was breathtaking. I certainly will not be going back to The Old Rectory.

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed 27 October 2013

We were made very welcome in a wonderful hotel where we stayed for a meal and the food was amazing, very reasonable price and very friendly people who were so lovely we will defiantly go back!!! A hidden gem , thankyou to Shaun and Donna for making us so welcome x

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed 27 October 2013

I was surprised to see such a negative review about this establishment. We have been on many family occasions and Shaun and his family and staff have always made us welcome, in fact he often goes out of his way to help . The food is always amazing and if any issues arrive these are dealt with quickly and efficiently. I have a large extended family and will be celebrating our Christmas get together with Shaun once more, by request of all of the party. I recommend you definitely give the rectory a try, it's lovely.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank taffydragon1
Reviewed 27 October 2013

We recently spent an idyllic weekend at the The Old Rectory and look forward to the time when we go back! The hotel is in a charming location and we were made to feel very welcome by all the staff, in particular the owner Shaun and his wife Donna. Our room was modern and clean and overlooked the beautiful surroundings of Crickhowell! We dined in the restaurant on both nights of our stay and the food was excellent. We do not usually comment on our hotel visits but felt we had to recognise the efforts of the hotel in making our stay a wonderful experience!

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Llangattock
The Manor Hotel
#1 of 1 in Llyswen
Llansantffraed Court
Llansantffraed Court
#2 of 3 in Abergavenny

Been to The Old Rectory Country Hotel and Golf Club? Share your experiences!