“Thoroughly recommended”

and 1 more site!
The Old Rectory Country Hotel and Golf Club
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Llangattock
Reviewed 1 December 2013

My wife and I stayed for two nights, Friday and Saturday in November, and the welcome couldn't have been warmer. It was noticable that the staff were still busy cleaning although it was 2pm by the time we arrived, all were cheeerful and seemed happy in their work. Our room was very pleasant, warm and comfortable with bottled water and the usual tea and coffee provided. There was also a water dispenser/cooler on the landing and small chiller fridges in other areas with bottled water - a nice touch. Sophie (and her 7-month old son, Harry), who ran the place with her Dad Shaun, seemed to be everywhere, meeting, greeting and serving - nothing was too much trouble.

The meals were delicious, served on hot plates and plentiful. The breakfast sausages were local and very tasty. Try the 'Old Rectory' beer, very pleasant. Our stay coincided with the Wales v Australia Autumn International so the place filled with Welsh folk who loudly cheered their team on. At half-time we were served with chips in a cone, very unexpected but a very pleasant surprise.

We were in one of the suites on the 2nd floor - very comfortable and very quiet especially on the first night. On the second there were a couple of functions taking place and there was a bit of noise as the guests left the car park - solution, have a room overlooking the golf course.

Overally, this hotel is well worth the rating given by previous reviewers. We're already planning our next visit. Hopefully Harry will be walking by then!

Oh, by the way and just a small point, it would be nice to have nice fluffy white bath robes in the suites and perhaps (in the future) linen table napkins.

Thank you Sophie and Shaun.

Room Tip: Rooms to the rear are quieter if there's a function and have the better views of the Brecons

Reviewed 27 November 2013

What a lovely hotel this is! 9 of us stayed here for two nights, (ages ranged from 56 - 90!) and we couldn't have been better looked after. The rooms were lovely and warm (windows opened if it was too hot, radiator worked well if it was too cold) and exceptionally clean.

The restaurant decor set the tone for an elegant dinner, with choices from the A La Carte or Bar Menus plus a Specials Board. Food was served hot, beautifully presented and obviously cooked to order but a chef who actually cares about food and takes pride in their work. Wines were very reasonably priced and complimented the dinner perfectly.

Breakfast was also cooked to order (try the scrambled eggs - delicious!) and again served on hot plates - a real test of quality which not many hotels manage to achieve these days.

Whilst the ladies visited Abbergavenny and Crickhowell to shop, the gents dabbled on the golf course and followed some of the recommended walks across the local hills. Perfect!

Personally, I can't wait to return in the Spring for another mini break. This hotel is excellent value for money, set in a wonderful location as long as you're not looking for a city break or loud music!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 November 2013

I just returned back home to Australia and had to comment about this place. Just FANTASTIC! I visited there several times during my stay in Wales and every time it was spot on. The food, staff, location and building, what is there to complain about....nothing! I didn't stay as I was staying with family but this place became my second home. I had many meals and drinks in the bar. The meals are well priced and are of an excellent quality and generous serves. Highly recommend this place and will certainly be returning on my next visit to Wonderful Wales!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 November 2013

Stayed here on a living social deals offer. Excellent value for money. Location was ideal for a quiet night away. Walking distant from a lovely quaint town. Beautiful suite, the only negative was that as was an old building very creaky and woke us early the next day. Food was excellent and service was very good even though they had a big party to attend. Golf course according to my husband wasn't the best but we understand quiet time of year. Overall great place to stay and would recommend.

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank Kikid99
Reviewed 18 November 2013

The family had Sunday lunch here yesterday and must admit it was lovely. We started off with pumpkin soup , followed By 2 slices of beef , roast potatoes and the largest Yorkshire pudding you have ever seen. There was a lot of food to be eaten for £12.99 per head for 2 courses. There are no other meals available on a Sunday though. The meals were very hot , the service was excellent and the meals were served promptly. I have absolutely nothing negative to say about the Old Rectory , which I can't rate highly enough. We also had a midweek meal in the restaurant here with the family for my birthday and that was equally excellent. Top marks.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Besty2013
Reviewed 17 November 2013

My husband and I stayed here for 1 night and all I can say is if you don't mind a few stairs I would definitely recommend Room 27. Havent seen the other rooms so cant comment but room 27 has the most amazing huge Jacuzzi bath, we sat there for hours with a bottle of bubbly looking at the stars through the attic window. The bed was soooooo comfy! The breakfast was top quality and the staff really friendly and welcoming. I cant recommend this hotel highly enough, Fantastic.

Room Tip: Room 27 for the amazing bath
1  Thank 972SianK
Reviewed 11 November 2013

My partner, Gloria and stayed at the Rectory Hotel, for a short one night break on 8 November. We had a 3 course meal, in the restaurant, on the Friday evening. Even though there was a large party in the restaurant, on that evening, the food we had and the service we received, were both superb. My fillet steak was cooked, exactly as requested and Gloria's lamb, melted in her mouth. The hotel only buys what can be described as top class meat. Both our starters and desserts were also of the highest quality. Our room was very comfortable and spacious and spotlessly clean. The welcome we had from all the staff, was first class. Breakfast, the next morning was exceptionally nice, again quality food and nice friendly service. In the restaurant that morning was someone, I recognized, who had left Wales 30 years ago, to live in New Zealand. It was Phil Kingsley Jones, who had played a few games for Abertillery RFC, when my late father, Arthur, was the Chairman. Phil was sat, having breakfast with 2 of the all time greats of New Zealand rugby, Colin Meads, ( Pinetree ) and Wayne Shelford. Enjoyed a nice chat with them. Overall a really nice stay at the Rectory.
Philip A Crozier, FCMA, CGMA.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Llangattock
The Manor Hotel
Nant Ddu Lodge Hotel & Spa
The Angel
The Angel
#1 of 3 in Abergavenny

Been to The Old Rectory Country Hotel and Golf Club? Share your experiences!