“I want to dive with these guys”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Aliwal Dive Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Umkomaas
Aliwal Dive Lodge
Seattle, Washington
“I want to dive with these guys”
Reviewed 10 March 2013

Having booked a dive with blue vision, turning up to find the equipment faulty, the management missing and the dive master baked. I decided it wasn't for me and landed on the doorstep of the Aliwal Dive Lodge. Sadly I had missed the boat... literally!

Pam and Claire working in reception, did their utmost to find me another dive somewhere in town, calling round other places until they found one for me. Friendly and helpful, the lodge was clean, tidy and professional looking (I think better than where I did end up).

If I were in the area again I would make a beeline for the Aliwal Dive Lodge.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Beijing, China
Reviewed 26 December 2012 via mobile

This lodge were very accommodating when we arrived last minute to dive aliwal shoal. However, their pressure gauges are faulty. Mine showed 50 bar upon coming to the surface, however I ran out of air during the safety stop. Obviously had I been a few more metres down this could have had terrible consequences. When I informed staff of what had happened the response was a tut and ' it happens every week'. Suffice to say I was not impressed. This dive operation need to sort this out as a matter of urgency.

• Stayed December 2012
5 Thank gemw84
Windhoek, Namibia
Reviewed 24 November 2012

The lodge
This is a very well-run B&B combined with a well-organised, well-managed dive centre. The rooms were spacious and clean and attention to detail could be seen throughout the lodge. It's small enough to be cosy but large enough to offer what you need. The managers (who are also divers) go out of their way to accommodate any request. Add to this very reasonably priced accommodation and dive packages and it's easy to see why this is great value for money.

Diving
Aliwal Shoal itself does not have a spectacular reef from a coral point of view. What it does offer is the chance to see large things - especially sharks! The lodge also offers baited shark dives which are handled very professionally and at no stage did I feel unsafe. I would definitely recommend this experience! The rental equipment is in good condition and the whole diving operation is done safely and properly. Dive masters / instructors are keen to please and the lodge probably has one of the best skippers (Basie) I've ever dived with.

All in all the lodge is a great breakaway if you're in Durban (it's close) or even Gauteng. It should be ideal for diver training and if you are a diver looking for adventure ask for the baited shark dive. I recommend it!

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view room.