“A Lovely Break”
Review of Battle Golf Club

Battle Golf Club
Battle Golf Club
Reviewed 5 August 2013

We booked the two day special offer of golf and accommodation. The weather was gorgeous and the view of the area of outstanding natural beauty from the club house was stunning. Our room was clean and comfortable. The breakfast was freshly cooked and delicious. Clare, the owner, was very helpful and nothing was too much trouble, which also goes for the two girls who looked after us during the time we were there.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 28 July 2013

We stayed there last night after a friends wedding close by. My friend and his wife had the misfortune of being placed in the 'Dorm' room downstairs. Myself, and my other friend and wife got rooms up stairs which were fine - no toilet paper in ours though, but forgivable.

The Dorm room my friends were in was disgusting - cobwebs, dirty, damp and smelly. They took lots of pictures - its like a show reel from a 'life of grime'.

After a 35 minute wait for our breakfast (only customers there), my friend sought the manager to offer some feedback. We'd already paid so weren't really thinking a refund was likely. He just wanted to make sure his room should have been charged at the same rate as ours and that there wasn't a mix up. The conversation went like this:

My Friend: We're a bit disappointed with our room, it was quite damp and dirty with loads of cobwebs

Manager: No one else has ever said that. (imagine my delight to read the reviews below!)

My friend: Ok, well we thought it wasn't very nice and thought you should know. There were so many cobwebs!

Manager: This is the Countryside dear, you do get spiders.

Me: Its not just my friends room, our breakfast table cloth was covered in food stains

Manager: That's because there was a table eating there just before you.

Me: its a disposable cloth isn't it? Couldn't you have changed it?

Manager: They left just before you arrived, there was no time.

My friends wife: And there are millions of dead flies all on the floor by our table too

Manager: Yes, you do get flies in the countryside too dear!

Me: Do you get hoovers too?

Manager: Oh get lost the lot of you.

It was so outrageous, we spent the next 30 minutes wetting ourselves with laughter.

This review is just the start of my backlash. (I'm calling EHO in the morning)

Worth noting that the young girl serving behind the bar was lovely.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
9  Thank Philip E
Reviewed 28 July 2013

We booked 3 rooms here for accomodation after a wedding. We arrived to check in at 4pm and were told the rooms were not ready. When we returned to the hotel at midnight one of the couples was given a family room rather than the double booked.This in itself wouldn't have been a problem if it weren't for the fact that the room stank of damp, the carpets were filthy, and there were numerous cobwebs and spiders. Breakfast was served on a dirty tablecloth. We sat at a table by the window which had nice views, but unfortunately a vast collection of dead and mummifying insects along the floor beside it. When we checked out and very politely expressed our disappointment with the room, outlining the reasons above , we were told 'noone else ever complained', 'you get spiders in the country', ' and were then finally told to 'get lost' by the manager. Certainly not worth the money, we will not return and advise anyone else to avoid this place.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
5  Thank 101MKH
Reviewed 9 July 2013

My husband and I have stayed in many UK hotels and have never experienced such rude and unpleasant dealings from a so called manger!! We booked online and had a call the following day by the so called manager(the day we were arriving) to say our room was no longer available as the previous guests had requested to stay another night (wrong managment from the start) so we were turfed out with no alternative options and her customer service skill when I questioned how this was possible were to tell me - 'bad things happen in life dear, deal with it' Delightful manners - my advice is stay well away!!!! I am utterly surprised that she hasn't put the whole place out of business!!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
5  Thank 30GingerC
Reviewed 31 May 2013

Myself and my partner stayed here for 1 night and also played a round of gold and have to say I have never experienced anything like it.
We were greeted by the manager Clare I use the term 'greeted' loosely. She was very rude and offhand on our arrival despite the fact it seemed we were the only people staying there as the car park was empty. The decor to our rooms were shabby and full of cobwebs and dust, however as the location was so beautiful and we were blessed with good weather we tried to turn a blind eye.
We had a few drinks in the bar before playing golf and I was shocked when I ordered a pint of beer and a CAN was taken from the fridge and poured in to the glass (which by the way didn't fill the glass to add insult) I was then charged over £3.00 for a CAN of beer. I was in so much shock I asked why I couldn't have it from the tap and was told they had "run out" for the day. However they couldn't knock the price down for me - shocking to say the least

The golf was the best part of our day the grounds itself are beautiful and the course is well maintained and taken care of so no complaints here.

We didn't have a good nights sleep due to our bed being very uncomfortable. The next morning we purchased some tea and scones and were charged £5.00 EACH! For a small cup of tea and one scone to come to 10 English pounds for 2 people is absurd! I nearly had a heart attack thank god we didn't order a cooked breakfast! It was very average and definitely not worth the price. I did make a comment to the manager about her prices and she brushed me off rudely, almost snobbish to tell me "That's the prices you pay in a place like this" and flounced off.

I thought no wonder there was hardly any people around if they were charging this much for service. I definitely won't be staying here again. I would happy come and pay a round of gold but think I'll be bringing a packed lunch next time!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Peter C
Reviewed 29 April 2013

We stayed at Battle Golf Club for our anniversary weekend and had a fantastic time!
The manager was lovely - so friendly and welcoming and keen to ensure we had a lovely stay - which we did.
The grounds are outstanding, rooms were great and the breakfast and customer service were fantastic.
Thank you Battle Golf Club for a lovely stay - we will definately be back!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Stacey_Darren_Nairn
Reviewed 9 November 2012

I can understand why this venue has mixed reviews. We've stayed there twice and on both occasions had a problem with the toilet, it seems they've constructed these rooms without having a good drainage system and the macerator does make a horrible grinding noise. The first time we stayed it did this all night long until my partner managed to fix it, the second time the loo was blocked and when I reported this to the manager I was asked if I'd 'put anything down it' (presumably sanitary items!) and I insisted I hadn't. We were moved to another room. In spite of that the rooms are nice, quiet (haven't been there when there's a function on though) and in the morning the breakfast is top-quality, with a lovely view of the undulating golf course. The place is a little isolated and I don't know if anyone is on duty at night in case of problems, we didn't see any information about this.
We'd stay there again but are likely to try out other places first, mainly because of those toilets, and although it was my partner who paid, I believe he did get charged up front which is a little odd.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank satnavgirl

Been to Battle Golf Club? Share your experiences!