“THIS PLACE IS THE PITS DONT WASTE YOUR MONEY STAY AWAY” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Battle Golf Club

Battle Golf Club
Battle Golf Club
Slough, United Kingdom
“THIS PLACE IS THE PITS DONT WASTE YOUR MONEY STAY AWAY”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2013

ok where do I start. we stayed in the dorm downstairs, not what we booked but that's what we got.a disgracefull dump is too kind for it, the door creaked so loud you could hear it 50 yards away, the bed cover were torn, the shower was nasty with exposed wires in the celing , the place looked like it hadn't seen a lick of paint for 40 years, the decoration was awful. the golf course was nasty with greens that have not been watered since god knows when and are totally unplayable. don't waste your money coming here you will be disappointed its a really nasty grotty little place which puts a new meaning to the phrase cheap and nasty. will be disappointed so save your money and go elsewhere.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank Gerard O

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Bishops Stortford, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2013

I have thought long and hard before writing this review, as having read the others since our return, I think some may be a little harsh. This accommodation is not terrible but it is poor. It is neither a golf club or a hotel. Much of what has been said is true. We arrived to find our booking had been "lost" and at one point thought we were going to be turned away. A lot of shuffling around amongst papers. When we finally got to our room it was clean though in need of re-decoration. The on-suite shower room was very clean and looked good. Then we were told about the eccentric way of getting the shower to work - something to do with the water pressure. However it did work when the bizarre instructions were followed. The communal areas of the accommodation block were dated and needed a clean up. There was no sign of any fire or emergency evacuation procedures, which I suspect may not be legal. The entrance was un-inspiring. The room was made smaller by the oversized bed, leaving no room for two bedside cabinets and/or chairs. The TV was adequate but had the habit of losing signal, possibly due to the large tree, which was all we could see from the velux window. The bed was very comfortable.
The entrance to the golf club was very grubby, dated and un-welcoming as was the lounge and dining room. The carpetting needed replacing as did the tables and chairs. We chose this hotel in preference to Premier Inn as it had a lounge where we could sit and enjoy a drink in the evening, but we did not want to sit in such dreary surroundings and in any case the place was deserted much of the time. No meals were provided except breakfast.
The breakfast was fine if you like the full English, but if you didn't there was a choice of cornflakes (still in the Value plastic bag) muesli or toast, so not very good value. Service was erratic. On our last morning we were first to arrive, but last to be served. Views over the golf course was nice.
There was little evidence of room cleaning service, just the bed straightened and tea cups washed. The en-suite was not cleaned and towels not changed. Only one tiny bar of soap was provided so it was a good job we brought our own toiletries. The noise from the saniflo was horrendous, and came on every time you turned the tap, however briefly.
This establishment is clearly failing as a golf club as we saw only a handful of golfers, despite very good weather and the car park was nearly always empty. So it seems they have decided to diversify into hospitality and are managing to make a failure of that too. We agree with the feeling of isolation at night in pitch dark and we were not told what to do in the middle of the night in case of emergency. We had no idea if any of the staff were on duty at night or how to contact them.
At £65 per night this was marginally cheaper than Premier Inn's late deals for the area. However with Premier Inn you know what you are getting and they guarantee a good stay. The accommodation was in summary just about adequate, but not good value and we would not recommend it or stay there again.
If you do decide to stay, take advantage of the fact that you cannot get an evening meal at the Golf Club and turn right out of the main gates and head to Netherfield, just a couple of miles and eat at the Netherfield Arms. The service there is first rate, as is the food. Not the cheapest pub-restaurant food you have ever had though it will be amongst the best and the staff are friendly, welcoming and cannot do too much for you. The even better thing is that they were recommended by the proprieter of the Golf Club! Strange that.

Room Tip: Not the one overlooking the tree.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Cato2013
Rochester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2013

We booked the two day special offer of golf and accommodation. The weather was gorgeous and the view of the area of outstanding natural beauty from the club house was stunning. Our room was clean and comfortable. The breakfast was freshly cooked and delicious. Clare, the owner, was very helpful and nothing was too much trouble, which also goes for the two girls who looked after us during the time we were there.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2013

We stayed there last night after a friends wedding close by. My friend and his wife had the misfortune of being placed in the 'Dorm' room downstairs. Myself, and my other friend and wife got rooms up stairs which were fine - no toilet paper in ours though, but forgivable.

The Dorm room my friends were in was disgusting - cobwebs, dirty, damp and smelly. They took lots of pictures - its like a show reel from a 'life of grime'.

After a 35 minute wait for our breakfast (only customers there), my friend sought the manager to offer some feedback. We'd already paid so weren't really thinking a refund was likely. He just wanted to make sure his room should have been charged at the same rate as ours and that there wasn't a mix up. The conversation went like this:

My Friend: We're a bit disappointed with our room, it was quite damp and dirty with loads of cobwebs

Manager: No one else has ever said that. (imagine my delight to read the reviews below!)

My friend: Ok, well we thought it wasn't very nice and thought you should know. There were so many cobwebs!

Manager: This is the Countryside dear, you do get spiders.

Me: Its not just my friends room, our breakfast table cloth was covered in food stains

Manager: That's because there was a table eating there just before you.

Me: its a disposable cloth isn't it? Couldn't you have changed it?

Manager: They left just before you arrived, there was no time.

My friends wife: And there are millions of dead flies all on the floor by our table too

Manager: Yes, you do get flies in the countryside too dear!

Me: Do you get hoovers too?

Manager: Oh get lost the lot of you.

It was so outrageous, we spent the next 30 minutes wetting ourselves with laughter.

This review is just the start of my backlash. (I'm calling EHO in the morning)

Worth noting that the young girl serving behind the bar was lovely.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
9 Thank Philip E
Warwick, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2013

We booked 3 rooms here for accomodation after a wedding. We arrived to check in at 4pm and were told the rooms were not ready. When we returned to the hotel at midnight one of the couples was given a family room rather than the double booked.This in itself wouldn't have been a problem if it weren't for the fact that the room stank of damp, the carpets were filthy, and there were numerous cobwebs and spiders. Breakfast was served on a dirty tablecloth. We sat at a table by the window which had nice views, but unfortunately a vast collection of dead and mummifying insects along the floor beside it. When we checked out and very politely expressed our disappointment with the room, outlining the reasons above , we were told 'noone else ever complained', 'you get spiders in the country', ' and were then finally told to 'get lost' by the manager. Certainly not worth the money, we will not return and advise anyone else to avoid this place.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
5 Thank 101MKH
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2013

My husband and I have stayed in many UK hotels and have never experienced such rude and unpleasant dealings from a so called manger!! We booked online and had a call the following day by the so called manager(the day we were arriving) to say our room was no longer available as the previous guests had requested to stay another night (wrong managment from the start) so we were turfed out with no alternative options and her customer service skill when I questioned how this was possible were to tell me - 'bad things happen in life dear, deal with it' Delightful manners - my advice is stay well away!!!! I am utterly surprised that she hasn't put the whole place out of business!!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
5 Thank 30GingerC
Eastbourne, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2013

Myself and my partner stayed here for 1 night and also played a round of gold and have to say I have never experienced anything like it.
We were greeted by the manager Clare I use the term 'greeted' loosely. She was very rude and offhand on our arrival despite the fact it seemed we were the only people staying there as the car park was empty. The decor to our rooms were shabby and full of cobwebs and dust, however as the location was so beautiful and we were blessed with good weather we tried to turn a blind eye.
We had a few drinks in the bar before playing golf and I was shocked when I ordered a pint of beer and a CAN was taken from the fridge and poured in to the glass (which by the way didn't fill the glass to add insult) I was then charged over £3.00 for a CAN of beer. I was in so much shock I asked why I couldn't have it from the tap and was told they had "run out" for the day. However they couldn't knock the price down for me - shocking to say the least

The golf was the best part of our day the grounds itself are beautiful and the course is well maintained and taken care of so no complaints here.

We didn't have a good nights sleep due to our bed being very uncomfortable. The next morning we purchased some tea and scones and were charged £5.00 EACH! For a small cup of tea and one scone to come to 10 English pounds for 2 people is absurd! I nearly had a heart attack thank god we didn't order a cooked breakfast! It was very average and definitely not worth the price. I did make a comment to the manager about her prices and she brushed me off rudely, almost snobbish to tell me "That's the prices you pay in a place like this" and flounced off.

I thought no wonder there was hardly any people around if they were charging this much for service. I definitely won't be staying here again. I would happy come and pay a round of gold but think I'll be bringing a packed lunch next time!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Peter C
Also consider these accommodations in or near Battle
PowderMills Country House Hotel
#4 of 5 in Battle
George Hotel
George Hotel
#5 of 5 in Battle

Been to Battle Golf Club? Share your experiences!