“Don't go here”

Daresbury Park Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Daresbury
“Don't go here”
Reviewed 11 April 2012

I booked this via Groupon offer .seemed a good deal as worked out that with room upgrade which was recommended as we have 2 children plus breakfast it would come to £64 . Great I thought for de Vere village hotel . Sadly I was to be very disappointed . Rooms shabby and old fashioned. Big bed but with 2 airbeds ( that's what they provide for kids to sleep on at this hotel ) there was little more room so I'd hate to think what standard room would have been like .tv very old , like you'd find in the 80's!!
Pool was so cloudy must have contained so much chlorine I dread to think ! Hose pipe feeding the pool so quite dangerous as you had to step over it ! I let my kids into the jacuzzi to be told they weren't allowed in there or steam room . The steam room had a sign on saying over 8's could go in but she said sign was wrong !
Worst part of stay was the diabolical meal in the restaurant . Just awful . I've never sent a meal back in my life until now . Tough steak not cooked right , all the meal was just terrible . And cost £110 for 4 !! Have had a little taken off but not worth any money at all !

• Stayed April 2012

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (650)
Birmingham
Reviewed 10 April 2012

I have never written a review on any hotel but this hotel turned my stomach so much that I felt that I had to. We arrived at the hotel after booking this break on group on. I managed to get this hotel for £39.99 instead of £134 which I thought was a fantastic offer. To my surprise I felt this was the worst value hotel that I have ever been in.
On the way the room we used the lift to find the the spot lights were hanging out of the roof of the lift which I would consider a major health and safety issue. Our room was Dirty with rust stains and built up dirt around the bath. To use any electric in the room you had to switch the lights on by the door, once this light was off you were unable to use any electric. There were cobwebs across the ceiling of the room. The light shade on the bedside lamp fell off in the middle of the night and to hip me on the head. Not all of the lights were working. While in bed the only way to turn off the lights was to get out of bed and walk to the front door.
We went to the breakfast on the morning that we were leaving to find that there was very limited choice, the cooked breakfast was cold, the milk was off and the biggest shock of all was that it was charged at £10 pp.
I travel around the UK quite a lot and stay in a lot of budget hotels. When booking a hotel I do not expect a lot the very minimum that I do expect is that the hotel would be clean and tidy but this hotel is not any of these.
The best advice that I can give is IF YOU ARE THINKING OF STAYING HERE DON’T. Go the Premier Inn you will have more money left in your pocket and you will be a lot happier.

Room Tip: they are all very out dated rooms no freeview and no flatscreen TV.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Daresbury hotels

Southport
Reviewed 10 April 2012

Only went as there was an offer in groupon. Twin room was dated, staff lacked personality, bathroom disgusting. Breakfast was average. No remote in room, had to phone down to reception twice and then had to actually go down as they still hadn't sent one up. Wouldn't go back but it looks lovely from outside.

• Stayed March 2012
Worksop, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 April 2012

Be warned, if you book this hotel thinking you’re getting a Village Hotel, think again because you are not!

We booked a Groupon deal which was £39 for the room, with a £15 credit to use on whatever we liked at the Hotel. Bargain we thought for a De Vere/Village Hotel. We had stayed in Village Hotels before and had always enjoyed our stays.

Sadly we were in for a shock!

On pulling up to the hotel, it looked a very tired and shabby building, nothing like previous hotels in the Village chain. We parked up and proceeded to check in which was quite slow but I think this was down to the fact that a lot of people arrived at the same time, and only 2 people on the desk.

We were given our room key and went to the room. Again room very dated and not the best but the worst thing was the heat! Very very hot, with a window you could only open slightly due to having safety locks on! The thermostat was turned down to the bottom, it was awful. We rang reception, who eventually answered, and asked if there was anything they could do, i.e. give us a fan. They said they would send one up. It didn’t arrive before we decided to go to the bar and have a drink. Don’t get too excited if you get the £15 credit, when a pint was nearly £4, wine I think was nearly £7 a glass. Very expensive. The bar was very busy with families and was not the usual relaxing bar area we come to expect from Village.

We then back to our room, which was still hot, and no fan! We rang again and eventually we got a fan delivered to our room, along with a remote control for the TV that we were unable to locate earlier. We thought about going to Runcorn but having already had a drink the taxi fare was going to be £15 each way, again making it an expensive evening. So it was an early night for us, as we just wanted to leave the hotel.

I got the feeling a lot of people staying here were using it as a stop gap before going to the airport. Nothing at this hotel apart from the Village name is like a typical Village hotel and although it was cheap we were very very disappointed and will choose carefully next time we see a ‘bargain’.

1 Thank ChesterfieldJayne
Bromsgrove, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 April 2012

Booked this deal via Travelzoo at an amazing rate of £39 per night for a double room inclusive of £15 hotel credit. I noticed this was miles better than the hotel's usual rates and any of their web offers. I queried whther we would be able to bring our 2 children aged 14 and 11 which they agreed to and we were offered upon booking a King Size Room upgrade for £10 per night which we agreed to as we were offered the chance to pay for this out of the room credit.
We arrived Saturday around 4pm having stopped off at Cheshire Oaks which was very busy and not as cheap as usual. The check in was very busy. After around 15 minutes we found our King Size room, literally at the top of the stairs on the first floor. The room was in my opinion standard sized so thank goodness we didnt take the standard room. The kids had beds made up on the floor the hotel had done for us with an activity pack each but this meant there was very little floor space at all.
Our bed was massive and very comfortable, the bathroom had posh complimentary shower
gel soap and shampoo but the bathroom was showing signs of age where water had taken its toll eg staining to the tiles and door. The shower wasnt very powerful and the towel rail which was covered in dust didnt work. A few times in the 2 nights I could hear the toilet of the opposite room being used which wasnt that nice and being Easter you could hear screaming kids from very early on both mornings.
The usual tea and cofee were provided in the rooms although we lost count of how many times we requested extra mugs and glasses which we were always told would be brought to our room but never arrived. The room had a dated telly and the view outside was poor. Also you will regularly hear planes flying outside.
The hotel itself needs an update and is probably the poorest De Vere/Village(who've just taken over the hotel) we've been to. Normally we have a great stay at their hotels. The layout is confusing and reception just didnt grab us the way Village Hotels normally do. The gym was adequate although there is a stupid £1 towel charge so we just went back to the room and requested 4 extra from the cleaner who was happy to oblige. The changing rooms have Sky Sports on and were nice, the pool was a little small but going at lunchtime it wasnt very busy. The jacuzzi was nice although we were told to take our children out even though they were being supervised and werent causing a fuss and the place was deserted. We had to laugh when the beauty staff and gym staff all went and got a big McDonalds and sat in the staff room eating it! I did try and make conversation with them but they didnt seem very plesant as opposed to reception staff who were very helpful and polite.
There is a lovely good value carvery about 2 miles down the A road by the hotel. The hotel itself is suituated off a roundabout in a bizarre location on a private road. make sure you get the code to let yourself out of the car park, there is ample free parking. The nearest supermarket is an Asda and Aldi about 5 miles away.
We explored the hotel and found some parts to be very cold and draughty. The only food we ate there was in the bar which again was chilly. The food prices were OTT, the restaurant was £20 for 3 courses and this was an offer. The bar mains were all in the region of £10 with no kids option. We spent our hotel credit off the only deal they did which was a choice of 4 mains for £6 before 4pm. This also included an option to buy a sweet or starter for a further £2. The food was OK, nice burgers with quality beef but the chips/wedges were awful. I was also disappointed that they didnt have a cider on draught. Football was showing and it was heaving. I think we only got seats as we took the early bird offer. They also forgot about my sweet so I had to remind them after half an hour of waiting although the mains came very quickly.
Thats about it really. You get what you pay for so all in all we had an ok break. I hope Village spend money doing it up to their usual high standard. I did end up exploring more than I wanted to because of the strange layout - you walked past the gym twice with both doors locked and it was only by sticking my head in and seeing a flight of stairs I was able to work out how to access it! I found a lot of peeling paint and dated interiors on my walkabouts. Signs are confusing.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 April 2012

Had to spend night in a room with large damp patch obviously from a leak in the bathroom. Air con was an old fan. L imited TV range on a very old TV. Bathroom tired. Evening meal slow..over two hours mostly waiting for two mediocre courses.....Avoid

• Stayed February 2012
merseyside
Reviewed 7 April 2012

stayed with a groupon voucher,hotel is nice ,rooms bit dated but clean enough,food below par ,i had grilled pork and whole dish was so dry ..plus all menu so expensive and poor quality really but no where else to go if u want a drink or four ,like us,which for a gin and tonic and a pint it cost £10 ! staff all very nice and helpful. Top tip -take some wine for pre drink .

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Daresbury
The Park Royal
#13 of 21 in Warrington
Travelodge Widnes
Travelodge Widnes
#2 of 4 in Widnes

Been to Daresbury Park Hotel? Share your experiences!