“DISGRACE”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Daresbury
durham
“DISGRACE”
Reviewed 15 March 2014

I stayed here in March for my birthday and what can I say about this place nothing nice that's for sure, below are my issues:

Arrival: Person on reception was rude and wanted rid of us asap, sign here, there's your rm key no info given on breakfast etc.

Room: Was ok been here before has not been refurbished since then, because I had stayed before I did not check Trip Advisor until after I had booked not like me so I knew what to expect, but it was clean and tidy as we paid for an upgrade so yes it was dated but ok.

Leisure: Staff again rude saw me standing there still talking and then looks right at me and takes a drink out of a can of pop customer service is very lacking. Pool was ok don't see why residents have to pay for towels though.

Restaurant: OMG this is more like a staff canteen, seats very worn no atmosphere at all, ltd choice starters of soup was ok, waited 45 mins for our main course after complaining twice, there were people who can come in after us who were on their dessert and we still didn't hadn't get our main, main course was ok but poor value, pudding was nice.

But the thing that really spoiled my stay was being rung at 9.45pm to say I need to pay my bill I asked for it to be charged to rm but because the reception did not ask for a swipe of our card we could not do this, I explained was in bed and I was told to get dressed and pay my bill I would love to know where they get there staff from because they are shocking, after explaining to her about my shocking service she suggested someone can come and get my card from my rm again this is not acceptable, I hung up got dressed and went to reception to complain and went to bed very angry.

Breakfast: It was my birthday so I was going to write a letter of complaint than rather spoil my day but what happened at breakfast spoiled it anyway, no greeting just whats your rm no, here's your table no explanation how to gets drinks etc, I did however come across a lovely lady called Marie who was very helpful. Breakfast was cold and cheap quality.

On check out I did complain to a duty manager and he was very helpful and understood, my husband and I both worked for De Vere and have been trained to high standards but its takes nothing to be polite, this hotel is a disgrace the staff are rude, the place is run down, never know a hotel to charge you £1.00 on top of your newspaper charge, and I for one will not go back I did get a £40 refund but the holiday and my birthday was ruined.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mrgizmo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (650)
Reviewed 14 March 2014 via mobile

Reception - what reception! We didn't get one! Just given are room key and asked what time we wanted dinner, no hotel information provided! Couldn't get in our room as the card didn't work had to wait outside our room for maintenance.

Room - okish tired and in desperate need of a refurb, bathroom tiles could do with a good scrub to get rid of the black mould!

Food - terrible, Carvery, choice of beef or gammon only and strange taste on potatoes and Yorkshire pudding! Ordered drinks with our good and had to pay before we had even received the drinks, waitess apologised she felt embarrassed having to ask!

General hotel areas again in desperate need of repair and a clean up.

You could say you get what you pay for I suppose but you do expect I certain standard neen when you have booked via a deal

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Daresbury hotels

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 March 2014

Stayed here for a week because it was the cheapest on offer and company requested us to do so. However for the same price in places like even London I've had better stays.

Positives
Free parking. Saves hassle big time.
Signs. Easy to move in and around the hotel.
Fitness room. Wide variety of machines available and a weights area too.
Swimming Pool. I don't use public swimming pools and never will, but the hotel has one and you can see it from the fitness room.
Breakfast, nice choice and stuffed myself each morning. I had to.

Negatives
Cleanliness. The most improtant factor for me, even more than having a stable bed, is cleanliness and they weren't up to the mark.
Furniture, very very outdated. I know it's a budget hotel but seriously isn't it better spending a bit of money on new furniture as a pose to constantly using varnishing old furniture.
Location. If you're from a big city, this place is a horrible to visit because there are no places to eat nearby. I had to drive 6 miles twice to get something from asda to eat.

Would I go to the hotel again? Porbably not.
Would I ever go to this region of the countr again? I pray I don't ever have to.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Northwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 March 2014

I`ve been using this hotel for informal meetings for many years, and it is so sad to see how it has gone downhill since Britannia took it over. The place is filthy. The car park has not been cleaned since the takeover, and it is littered with old Macdonalds plastic cups, lager can boxes, and a wide selection of other rubbish. The furniture in the Java Lounge is in urgent need of replacement. There is a fine collection of dog ends around the entrance - I could go on and on. Today the heating was off in the Java Lounge - and it was perishing cold. Why was the heating off?? Apparently because it is now Spring!! The actual temperature is irrelevant.
Customer focus???????
Such a shame because the staff are so nice.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Northwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 March 2014

Unfortunately, this hotel is too large and tired and I think needs more staff. Probably great for a hen or stag get together. The changing area to the small pool could do with freshening up as are other areas of this hotel. Our room was very small though extremely clean, the bed was comfortable but noise from corridor) with hardly any space to move around or place clothes (no drawers and one coat hanger in the wardrobe) and window catch broken. There was one guy at the bar trying to take orders and serving at the same time (chaos). Unfortunately, queued for (very substantial) breakfast AND (buffet dinner) where staff were lovely, but. I could go on and on . . it should say HOLIDAY CAMP not hotel. Maybe us oldies were just unlucky.

Room Tip: Ask to see your room first, book early breakfast and late dinner. Good luck!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 March 2014

So before we stayed I looked at the reviews and I was concerned but went with an open mind. Firstly it was outstanding value! We paid £89 on wowcher for a 1nt stay for 2 and full spa access, massage for 2, afternoon tea, 2 course meal, bottle of wine and breakfast!! We didn't expect much for price and reviews but we were pleasantly surprised. Yes it could do with a lick of paint here and there and maybe an update but nothing stuck out at us. We went on Wednesday afternoon. The pool was lovely and quiet, jacuzzi was nice and hot and the eucalyptus steam room was amazing and cleared my cold! We had a massage by the girl's, my first ever massage and it was a pleasant. My husband said it was good and he has had a few. All leisure staff friendly. Afternoon tea was a delight. I expected a cup of tea and either a cake, sandwich or scone with cream and jam...we got the full works on a tiered cake stand, pot of tea and coffee!! The ladies at the café were lovely and so helpful to our needs. Our evening meal was delicious. Compliments to the chef! I had mussels which were great. Really tasty. We enjoyed our free bottle of red and the bar atmosphere. Breakfast was brilliant, everything you need....and again the staff are a delight! The room was standard. Our lighting wasn't working but fixed during dinner with no problems. Could do with an update but the main thing for me is cleanliness and it was spotless.was room 116 near leisure facility so ideal for our purpose of staying there. No queue at check in. Straight in at 1345. Window needs fixing in room though as security risk on bottom floor. Nice and quiet and peaceful even near busy road. I'm 29 and hubby 47. We both enjoyed it and would definitely stay again! Not even checked out yet but just had to write a review, don't normally but it deserves a good review. Thank you and see you again soon!

• Stayed March 2014
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 March 2014

We arrived too early for check in so we were told we could use the spa until we were ready to check in. We decided to pop out for lunch before we hit the spa! On our return (check in time) there was a queue out of the door for check in!! Need more staff at check in time. Especially since apparently at that time there was an offer on wowcher/groupon site hence it being extremely busy! It was fine, waited a while and checked in no problem. Glad we booked the dinner table early though as people were being given times of 9pm onwards!!

Must say the reception area needs a complete revamp. Very aged, tired and worn. We arrived at our room and it was lovely! It was well presented, modern and VERY clean. (Nothing like previous reviews).

We decided to see how busy the spa was and it was BUSY! So unfortunately we decided to skip that bit!. Had a few drinks at the bar (pricey but hey it's a hotel!) and was ready for dinner. Was a little disappointed that on a Friday Saturday Sunday they only serve a carvery BUT what a carvery it was. It was delicious. Very good food, very good service and a bottle of wine thrown in to! Excellent value for money and we weren't on the groupon deal! Breakfast was fab too, get in early. Rooms were very hot, don't know if it was anything to do with being near the spa!

Wouldn't say it was luxurious hotel serviced weekend but it was a nice value for money weekend. Was very pleased and glad I tried it instead of snubbing.

Down shot is........
1. Arrive early at hotel to use spa (before the world and his wife check-in!)
2. Book your dinner table early. Better made in advance to be honest.
3. Check in late.
4. Expect a relaxed informal carvery dinner

Stick with those 4 suggestions and you'll have a great weekend. Enjoy x

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jenni B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Daresbury
The Park Royal
#13 of 21 in Warrington
Travelodge Widnes
Travelodge Widnes
#2 of 4 in Widnes

Been to Daresbury Park Hotel? Share your experiences!