“Brox” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Daresbury
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Brox”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2014

We have just spent the night at the Daresbury Park, we were in room 206, same floor as the gym and the bar/lounge and restaurant. We must have been lucky because our room was lovely, bed was comfy, big tv on the wall, bathroom was sparkling spotlessly clean. We were worried when we read the poor reviews, but we were pleasantly surprised at how nice it was, ok a lick of paint would not go amiss, but it is not as bad as others have said. The staff were really friendly and helpful, the food was plentiful and delicious. If you are booked in and worried, don't be.
Believe me we have stayed in hotels a lot worse and paid more money for.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (627)
Lancaster, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2014

Got a good deal to stay here..would have rather paid full whack for proper hotel! Its like a hospital from outside and not clean at all on the inside. Felt like we stayed in a ship from tbe 70's! In serious need of revamp! Pictures online make it more appealing

• 2 of 5 bubbles

Travellers are raving about these Daresbury hotels

Liverpool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2014 via mobile

Also went on a KGB voucher weekend but reading reviews was very worried and thought won't bother BUT me and partner went and didn't expect much.Had afternoon tea was very nice Stacey was very helpful and we went to have a swim which was ok as well had a few drinks in the bar average prices as you expect in a hotel.Dinner was a carvary which I didn't mind mushroom starter was tasty and meats and roasties were very nice desserts were ok and staff were nice .So my advice is you pay for what you get DBB and bottle of wine bargin didn't stay in room which was basic but we just slept in it and breakfast was ok but very busy I would go again you pay for what you get little bargin

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Staffordshire, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2014

walking to room 315 could smell cleaning products trying to mask the smell of damp. Dirty plates with food on along with used glasses from the bar all along corriodor. Opened the door to the room and the smell was shocking, looked at window and condensation created a swimming pool on the window ledge. Up the walls dark mould from damp. Need i go on .... maybe this was just our room.

1 Thank hudson_gary
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2014

Booked for spa day although unable to actually get a treatment due to spa not answering phone. The pool area is tiny as is the steam room and jacuzzi considering size of hotel. Not had dinner yet but fingers crossed!

Bradford, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2014

I stayed here for one night while in the area for a meeting. from the outside it looks like a nice hotel but that as good as it gets. you get inside and the place is just tired. The staff hardly radiated joy. i made my way to my room via what was more like rat runs than hallways to a room that when i opened the door i actually considered turning around and walking straight back out. The room was cramped and poorly laid out. with a horrid little TV with poor reception and a bed straight from one of Her Majesties enforced holiday institutions. I managed to sleep in the room under the influence of several alcoholic beverages and faced a rather uninspiring breakfast with disgusting coffee before high tailing it out of there.

I dont ever envisage staying there again but chalk this off as an experience or should i say endurance.

You may be thinking why Poor and not Terrible and the answer is in the interest of fairness as awful as the room was it was not dirty that is all.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Birmingham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2014

No matter how good a deal you get on this hotel do NOT stop here. We had a KGB deals offer of a weekend "spa" break with dinner, bed, breakfast and afternoon tea. The food was all buffet style, you had to help yourself to everything at every course. Waitresses never bothered taking drinks orders, could not take up the spa offer due to being fully booked despite attempting to arrange months in advance. The hotel does not answer their phone and if they do, do not pass on messages. The room had a throw on the bed with worrying white stains on, and now I cannot get anyone to speak to me to deal with my complaint.

Here is a copy of the email that almost 2 weeks on I've still not had a response to and have chased yet again today only to be told the manager is in a hotel in Scotland that have no computers.....

I have been copying you in to the ongoing saga regarding a planned stay at the above hotel last weekend. As the trail of emails will show, because of constant non-answering of the phone by reception and on the rare occasions when we could get through, the messages left not being responded to, the GM of the above hotel agreed to upgrade our room for our stay to include early and late check in and lunch on the Sunday.

Hoping all of our issues had been rectified, we journeyed up on Saturday morning to commence our weekend break. Despite early check in being from 12:00, on arriving at our room at about 1:30, it was still being cleaned, so we left our bags and went to the restaurant for "afternoon tea". This was ridiculous. We had to find our own table to sit at as no one was around when we got to the restaurant. We were then brought 4 so-called sandwiches which were soldiers and unbelievably soggy due to the contents and on stale bread! We then had to help ourselves to any additional items; hardly afternoon tea, more a buffet.

On returning to our room, which whilst lovely, was next to a family with 2 particularly noisy children that really spoilt any time wanting to relax to such a point that we drove to a supermarket in Runcorn to buy earplugs. We also discovered a disgusting white stain on the striped blanket which I have taken photographs of should you wish to see them. Finally the right-hand side of the mattress was so dipped and uncomfortable that I would question if it had ever been turned.

After a nightmare start to the weekend, we went for dinner. It was a cattle market and at no point was it explained (including on the KGB deal voucher or when booking) that dinner was actually another buffet where you had to help yourself to every course! When asking for a vegetarian option instead of the overcooked meat and veg on offer, I was told that I'd have to wait 5 minutes, but when it eventually came, not only had my partner finished his dinner, but the risotto wasn't even cooked enough! My partner is a qualified chef and commented that at no point was the temperature of the food left sitting checked by staff, which caused concern. And for the entire meal at no point did anyone bother to take a drinks order from us, so we were left having to help ourselves to water from the dispensers in the room.

Breakfast in the morning was not much better, with coffee already sat out on the table and the consistency of mud, however, this was eventually replaced. Again, food was just left sitting and not checked, the black pudding had only been cooked on one side and was completely uncooked on the reverse, the whole thing was a food poisoning epidemic waiting to happen. On finishing breakfast, we just wanted to leave the hotel having hated every second of our stay, so did not take advantage of the 1:00 check out or lunch that was arranged as we couldn't bear the thought of having to eat at the hotel or stay a minute longer.

I completed a feedback card and when asking on reception where the post box that is mentioned on the card was, I was told by the man on the desk that he'd "take the card and get it sent", however because of how poorly I scored the hotel and the feedback I gave, I very much doubt that it will ever find its way to head office....

For what was meant to be a lovely weekend away arranged by my mum for my birthday, I can quite honestly say that it was the worst hotel I have ever stayed in in my life and that I feel like it was a complete waste of time, fuel and the £89 my mum spent on the gift. I understand that Mr Long is on holiday until next Tuesday and I am not prepared to wait until his return for a response to my further complaint. The whole thing from start to finish was an utter shambles and I would like to know how you plan to rectify this issue.

Room Tip: Pick a different hotel