“Dissapointed”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Daresbury
A TripAdvisor Member
“Dissapointed”
Reviewed 6 June 2014 via mobile

Arrived at hotel had this as a gift unfortunately we did not have a printed copy of booking form only booking ref of wowcher the man behind the desk was rude and ignorant he was not helpful at all and he was cocky. The woman was nice and helpful finally after a long wait we checked in room was ok just hot as windows did not open much and there was no air con, that night had minimal sleep due to the heat in room. Food in the bar was dissapointing it tasted as if it had been heated up in the microwave, breakfast in the morning was nice tho and had plenty to choose from. Visited the spa and staff were friendly and pleasant. I was dissapointed with my stay as i had expected more and had bren looking forward to staying there. I would not be recommending this hotel to friends or family unfortunately.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (640)
Gillingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Long wait at reception to book our room. We also hired out conference bridge room 2 which was basic for a conference suite but met our basic needs. Looks nothing like the professional pictures. We had to insist on having tea & coffee brought into the room as we were strongly guided to use the tea and coffee room through the bar area, despite asking and paying for this service. It was eventually provided. The lunch food was microwaved and using trip advisor advice we dutifully hiked up to the ring o bells which made the night. Great food and drink there. I'm just gobsmacked Daresbury park is 4 stars. The breakfast was average and the only staff member was a very young lad on the till taking room numbers as you entered. Either the staff are exceptional at hide & go seek throughout the hotel. Or I suspect the ratio of guests to staff is a little out of proportion.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Cheshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 June 2014

We were gifted a VIP voucher to stay at Daresbury Park for my other half’s birthday last month. We decided to book our stay for Saturday 31st May and there was no weekend surcharge which was nice.

Unfortunately, we drove to the hotel from Liverpool without our GoGroopie voucher and were told that this was required to confirm the booking.
We then had to drive back home to get the voucher which was slightly tiresome, but that is our fault rather than the hotel’s.

I had done some homework and looked up the hotel on TripAdvisor prior to our stay which made me feel really worried as the terrible reviews outweigh the excellent.
When we arrived, I was surprised to see a really nice lobby, and I wasn’t disappointed by the lady who checked us in, she was very sincere and friendly. She also gave us a complimentary room upgrade as it was my other half's birthday which was really nice.

When we reached the corridor, we were greeted with a load of bottles, glasses and plates outside doors, including ours (262). It was around 6pm by this point, so I feel these should have been cleared by then.

Once inside our room, we were pleasantly surprised. It was comfortable and clean, all we ask for when we stay away from home.
There was ample room for the two of us – although we were slightly disappointed by the vintage analogue style TV as it only had around 5 channels and the remote control wasn’t working.

When going for dinner, we got really confused and slightly lost on the way, but we found it eventually. The hotel would benefit from clearer signage.
We were seated by a really warm and friendly hostess. A waiter came and took our drinks order and I told him I would pay by card. We then went up to choose our starter.
We came back to our drinks on the table – although halfway through our starter we were disturbed by the same waiter brandishing the card machine.
My other half and I looked at each other in disbelief across the table and she asked “Does it have to be now?”, he replied “It doesn’t HAVE to be”, but continued to stand there clearly not taking the hint, so I begrudgingly paid then.
You wouldn’t take the bill over to a table who are still eating, so I certainly don’t expect to have to pay for drinks whilst I am eating.

In terms of the food, we were impressed and happy with our meal. We initially thought that we would be able to choose what we wanted from a menu, but the meal is set out as starters, mains and desserts which you go up and serve yourself.
The main on the evening we stayed was a carvery which was really nice; the only thing I wasn’t very keen on was the gravy as it was very watery.
We asked for Cokes to drink and were brought pints; these are £2.75 each which isn’t too bad for a hotel.

It was a really warm day and in our room the window only opened slightly. We did try the air conditioning, but it didn’t seem to work. We had the window open until it went dark, at which point we closed it for fear of acquiring flying guests in our room!
The air conditioning wasn’t working and by around 11pm, we admitted defeat and had to call reception to request a fan. This was brought up shortly after which was great, but we were still really hot and couldn’t cool down.
Please look into the air conditioning units as it makes a room really unpleasant when the temperature is uncomfortable and cannot be controlled.

Breakfast the next morning was great and again, the host who seated us was brilliant. This must be one of the best breakfasts we’ve had in a hotel. The fried eggs were self serve, but they were very nice and still yolky. There was a great selection to choose from and it was all very tasty and fresh. There was a pot of coffee on the table and tea was self serve which was fine with us.

We didn’t use the leisure facilities but did go for a quick look and they seem great. The gym has loads of equipment and the pool is a nice size.

We would probably go back to this hotel, but there are deals which offer similar value in more modern hotels, so we would probably favour those.

Room Tip: Room 262 has good privacy as it overlooks a lawn
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank SapphireGrey
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Visited for my good lady treating me to a spa day. How did it go?
1. Our booked, 2 at a time massage became 1 at a time, due to staff shortages.
2. The changing rooms were a bit too warm. Similar I would imagine to the Serengeti.
3. The showers in the gents were very tired, rusty and unclean. Somebody's used razor was left in the cubicle I used.
4. The pool was so hot, it was like swimming in a hot bath.
5. The spa pool wasn't working.
6. The 'fun shower' only had cold, I mean ice cold water. The button for hot was broken. It was all mouldy too,
7. The steam room should come with a health warning, it was seriously too hot.
8. The massage (neck, shoulders and back) that we both had should have been 25 mins each. My girlfriend got 19 minutes and me 11!
We have complained, and I hopefully await a refund,

Fortunately we are the type to be able to laugh at it, but we will not be going back.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Uncle_Ben51

Travellers are raving about these Daresbury hotels

Warrington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

Upon arrival, we waited for a little while at reception before being attended too. However when a member of staff finally arrived we were very swiftly checked in and directed to our room.
We had a brilliant nights sleep, the bed was very comfortable and hotel peaceful however dust had gathered in various places within the room and the bath did not appear to have been cleaned and let the stay down somewhat.
Good stay though, all in all!

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank NDurrington
Nuneaton
Reviewed 31 May 2014

Stopped here for the second time ,room was excellent very clean and well fitted we had a standard double very comfortable ,breakfast was excellent and well stocked, staff were very good quick and friendly ,we stay here when we visit Cheshire oaks designer outlet 15 minutes down the road well worth a visit.on talking to 2girls that had stopped in a twin room were saying it was dirty and scruffy this is probably a room they let out for tradesmen during the week this is the second time we heard this so beware!

Room Tip: Request a standard double room 2 floor
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Philip H
South Yorks
Reviewed 31 May 2014

We stayed here on the 29th may it was our 42 wedding anniversary our daughters bought this trip for us on KGB deals
On arrival we were give a room after reading some of the reviews we were a little wary well the room was nice clean and looked like it had been updated but on entering we heard a sound like a motor trying to get going coming from the bathroom ,when my husband went to look opened the door and it was flooded .
We went back to reception and given another room no problem receptionist said well the second room was disgusting it was shabby smelt damp and wanted a complete revamp ,the door on the TV cabinet was just about hanging on and was quite dangerous in our opinion.
We decided that we would have afternoon tea then have our spa treatment evening diner then get in the car and go home even though it was a 2 hour trip.
When we went to the java lounge to have afternoon tea the girl there (Stacey) was brilliant got us a lovely tea I asked for ham sandwich told ham was not ready (hotel and no ham got to be a joke) we told Stacy of our plans and she sorted us out with another room which went above and beyond we thought
The third room turned out to be in the same order as room 1 but smaller think it was for a single guest but did have a double bed so we decided we would stay
Went to the restaurant for evening meal and the only choose for meat was ham suprice suprice or curry but have to say overall meal was good but the girl who seated you was great very attentive and very professial
I have to stay I don't think I would stay at this hotel again but the staff were excellent and they hold the hotel together

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Daresbury
The Park Royal
#2 of 3 in Runcorn
pentahotel Warrington
pentahotel Warrington
#5 of 21 in Warrington

Been to Daresbury Park Hotel? Share your experiences!