“Helpful staff but would not stay again”

Daresbury Park Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Daresbury
Devon
“Helpful staff but would not stay again”
Reviewed 20 June 2014

Since the hotel has been taken over by Brittannia Hotels unfortunately has gone downhill. I stayed this week June 2014 and would not stay again. I even was going to leave and pay for another hotel.

The hotel has been refurbished they say do not stay in those rooms they are part of the extension at the back the rooms are small and like a prison. My first room had a lovely view of a generator on the roof. The next room was close to reception and was ok. Much larger room tied and needs a good clean but ok.

Food in the bar was awful I ordered Ham Egg and Chips. The eggs were greasy and put on top of my ham hence the meal was awful.

The next day I was in the hotel for the conference. The conference room was ok but again full of fat.

I would not stay again that is for sure.

The positive note the staff on reception were most helpful and accommodating.

Room Tip: Do not have a newly refurb room is that out the back the extension built onto the hotel.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (630)
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 June 2014

I had booked the Hotel through a WOWCHER deal for two nights including twin room , dinnerand breakfast. On arrival at reception, we were kept waiting 15 minutes to check in as there was only one lady on reception. However, we werent even acknowledged. Upon checking in, she asked how we would like to pay. I said I had paid and afeter several exchanges she agreed that I had paid and they had received the Wowcher code.
We were in a twin room, but the corridors leading to the rooms smelled very old and musty.
We had paid for dinner but were told when we went to the restaurant that they werent taking any bookings until after 9.30 pm ( We asked at 5.30pm). As that was too late as my Daughter was in a competition, we were told that we could eat a bar snack up to the value of £16. We had no alternative so at 7pm booked our bar meal, but there was no where to sit and we told we could not take our food to our room. We had to stand up at the bar to eat in the end.
Breakfast the following morning was a buffet which was fine except the hot food was barely warm. We booked for an evening meal that night, my daughter wasnt able to eat but as i had a guest arrive for the evening event they came to the restaurant instead, Despite having pre paid for the evening meal I was told that as the other person wasnt residing in the hotel I would have to pay even if my Daughter wasnt now able to have her prepaid meal. I am still waiting for customer services to come back to me on this.We had to pay, £16 for a carvery main course.
After our room had been cleabed on the Sunday morning we were left without towels which I had to ask for and they arrived 4 hours later!
Check out at the hotel took 45 minutes, as they were down to one computer. All in all a very disappointing stay. We will definitely not be returning.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Dawn W

Travellers are raving about these Daresbury hotels

Reviewed 17 June 2014

I recently bought a voucher deal, for use of the "spa" facilities and a treatment afterwards for 2 people. I should have saved my money! On arrival there were 2 young, inexperienced girls. We completed the medical forms as asked and then were told go into the pool area. When we asked where everything was we were told "oh you will find it", so we went into the changing rooms. They were filthy, there was rubbish all over the floor. We went into the pool, Sunday was supposed to be a quiet day, it was until a football team arrived! We couldnt get into the "spa" as it was always full, the hydro pool was broken with only one jet working. Tried to complain, got an email from the manager, who said if we wish to discuss it any further then we should ring him. I tried many times, but he has been on a very long holiday! Even the manager above him didnt bother to return my call. The place is grubby, there is no way I would ever go back. I had to scrape my feet on the way out - I cant imagine what the beds would be like!

Room Tip: try a different hotel
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank 2013ishe
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Sam dougan was very attentive and pleasant. He made our trip great and he brought us the bubbly trip we missed out on from the jacuzzi being out of order which we were a little disappointed about.
Bar staff was very pleasant and the grapes were amazing, the price of drinks was a little expensive and there was no mash in the carvery which was a little upsetting but overall the bar staff was amazing.

• Stayed June 2014
2 Thank AlyssaANicholas
Flamborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 June 2014

An online voucher offered a very reasonable dinner, bed, breakfast and a bottle of wine break. We needed to be in Chester so took it up.
What a mix. Staff were excellent, helpful and pleasant. Food, dinner, a buffet, was reasonable. At 7pm there was still a good choice and breakfast was excellent with just about everything you could need. The room was dated but clean and with a comfortable bed. But, as has been said before, the room was much too hot with no way of lowering the temperature. The window would only open a crack and a promised fan was not forthcoming.
It would seem that the hotel has been badly run-down and is now, slowly, being rescued. So far only the lobby seems to have really benifitted. Perhaps in time it will all be pleasant but, until then, I would recommend only visiting in the Winter!

Room Tip: Certainly not 341
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Arrived here yesterday (15/06/14) Reception was fine and got us up to our room swiftly.The room was comfortable enough,but in dire need of a freshen up through decorating if only to cover the damp patch on the ceiling from a leakage of water. Can I ask that they do something re the drinks tray , 2 sachets of coffee ( 1 sachet wasn't enough to produce a good cup of coffee) no hot chocolate or biscuits ,these days people expect more!
Restaurant for dinner was the most disappointing meal I have ever been shown in my life.The salad was all leaves ,1 slice of tomato ,1 slice of cucumber ,so my partner let me have them and he just had the leaves!
No choice whatsoever ,carvery only,the meat was so dried out most of it was inedible,if you didn't like roast there was nothing else at all ,no menu whatsoever!
Desert,,,forget it ,if you didn't like gateau ,then there was nothing ,and it was still frozen in the middle.

Apart from that ,there was a beauty pageant thing going on ,so the bar had been taken over by young ladies using their hair straightners ,putting on their makeup,and the bank of hairspray you had to walk through was unbelievable.Now come on hotel, surely these young ladies should have been given a separate dressing area and left the bar area for guests to enjoy a quiet drink!

Breakfast redeemed the premises, the choice was amazing ,you couldn't fail to leave the restaurant fully sated.
The spa area was most in need of an uplift,the Jacuzzi was still out of order.
All in all it was an experience, and if the hotel steps up to the mark with a few improvements then I wouldn't hesitate to return ,but until then I would say give it a miss,there are much better hotels in the area.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank peeteepat
Warrington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Myself and husband stayed at this hotel for a function we were attending ,we checked in and made our way to our room on the third floor ,what can I say it was like stepping back in time .
Most hotels now have at least a fridge and air con this hotel as neither the room was so hot you did not want to stay in it and for the prices of the rooms you would at least expect some modern facilities .
The cobwebs did add to the old tired look , when you ran the taps the plug hole sang to you ! , the TV is so old only a few basic channels available , bedside lamp missing , curtains hanging off , no privacy blinds at the windows so we could see into the other rooms overlooking the court yard , the bath towels are NOT bath towels . The rooms are so antiquated you want to spend very little time in them
The bar areas and restaurant are ok but very overpriced and not much to write home about ,
I would say this hotel is ok if you are a on a business trip and just need somewhere to stay ,
The function we attended was made good by the other guests attending , the room was stifling and we asked if the air condition could be switched on the answer we got was it was on but very low as the hotel will not have it on if they can get away with it.
The following morning we went for breakfast it's an help youself which was fine but again the restaurant was so hot you could not sit and enjoy your breakfast even the orange juice was warm again the answer to the air conditioning , we can't have it on because it makes the food cold .
When I checked out of the hotel I was asked if my stay was fine I did point out about the air conditioning and only a few bad points ( it would have taken up my whole morning if I had to point out all the negatives about this hotel) the answer I received the hotel cannot justify the air conditioning being on, so I replyed I would be amazed if anyone ever returned for a second stay at this hotel .
Not worth the money they charge to stay the price and rooms are so much better in a premier inn than the once acclaimed Daresbury Park .

Room Tip: Don't bother
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank phillips1964
Also consider these accommodations in or near Daresbury
The Park Royal
Hallmark Hotel Warrington
Hallmark Hotel Warrington
#11 of 21 in Warrington
Premier Inn Warrington South Hotel

Been to Daresbury Park Hotel? Share your experiences!