“A great pub meal”

Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Old Radnor
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 6 May 2013

The steaks and the beer were both excellent, and the service was very friendly. Add in the great views, and you've got the perfect pub meal! Two warnings; though; the steaks were both on the large side - probably larger than the quoted weights on the menu - so be sure you've got a good appetite; and the place filled up quickly, so you might want to reserve a table.

Reviewed 16 April 2013

Pub restaurant just over the Herefordshire border into Wales - scenic views across to the Black Mountains, weather permitting (sadly, not on this our first visit). However, the warm welcome and great food made up for it. The choice of local ales together with non-alcohol options and wine was more than adequate. We reserved, on advice received from the pub, and found we had a table next to the inglenook fireplace all cosy against the elements. The dining area forms part of the bar and is quite small, so it would probably have been cosy wherever. Friendly and traditional decor with contemporary twists. Clean loos! Excellent service!! Best fish & chips ever!!! Overall, a really good experience - we'll be back!

Reviewed 24 March 2013

This pub has fantastic views be it in the summer or as, when we visited, in the snow. The major attraction though is the wonderful food. Not cordon bleu dining, but expertly cooked tasty, comforting and honest fare. Generous portions too! First class ales add to the thoroughly enjoyable experience. The licensees are also very friendly. More atmosphere in the bar area than the two dining rooms.

Reviewed 14 September 2012

We were recommended to eat here by the owners of a b and b we were staying at in Kington. The drive to the Inn was wonderful and traffic free. The views are magical in the late evening sunshine. The restaurant was fully booked but the atmosphere was very relaxed and friendly. Excellent food from their new Chef. I can highly recommend the Twice Baked Cheese Souffle with carpaccio of beetroot. Steaks were perfect too!

I would enjoy being snowed in at this lovely Inn during the winter! Wel ldone to the owners and staff.

Reviewed 26 August 2012

We went with friends to try the food at this old pub, as we had not been since it changed hands. The Harp is in a most lovely situation by the church high up in the Radnor Hills. Although we had booked a table, on our arrival the barman (publican?) took some time to notice us. We were taken into the back dining room, a characterless modern room, not in keeping with the delightful front bar with its inglenook fireplace. We were given a printed menu. Also a 'specials' board, implying the specials were of the day in addition to the standards on the printed menu. My friends had scallops which were excellent. I ordered the 'special' chicken liver pate. When the pate arrived I was taken aback by the thick green line all round it, which showed it was oxidised and not fresh. The waitress returned it to the kitchen and came back with the same plate a few minutes later saying that the chef thought it was ok since it had only been made 4 days before!!! I said I did not want it. I was told I would not be charged for it.
The steaks we had were good & well cooked, but with little garnish, only a mushroom and frozen chips. The Eton Mess contained no discernible meringue. There are many variations of this dish, but meringue is a must for the mess.

Later the waitress (who was pleasant throughout) said she was sorry that the pate was 'not to my liking'. I explained that sending out 4 days old pate was shameful and that the chef ought to know better. This was embarrassing since my friends were paying. At no point did the publican come over or apologise - he just left it up to the busy waitress to deal with my concern.

So while not all bad, until the owners wake up to better customer service, sadly this country pub is to be avoided unless you just want to sit outside and admire the fantastic view over a fine pint of beer.

1  Thank radnorman