“Mixed feelings?”
Review of The Bull Hotel

The Bull Hotel
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Oh' dear, from looking at the other reviewers comments I think I'm about to become the 'fly-in-the-ointment'.

I stayed here on a business trip which meant multiple site visits and one in this area, I found 'The Bull' on Bookings.com and it looked lovely in the pictures and write-up.
I arrived in the latter part of the afternoon, and the young bar-man seemed a little taken aback that I wanted to book-in. It seemed the bar, kitchen and hotel staff (it really is a few rooms above a pub) stay in contact through short-wave radios and a throat-mike/ear piece, I ordered a pint while I waited for the young lady to arrive and book me in, I'm from the north and cannot understand the southern thing about 'flat pint with not head', although I do enjoy having a full glass.
I was showed to my room, very pleasant, a really good size and nicely furnished. I wasn't expecting the have a shared bathroom down the corridor. Luckily there were few if any other guests, so going to the loo in the middle of the night wasn't too bad (if I had realised I'd have taken some PJ's or at least a dressing gown/slippers).
I asked about breakfast and was told "there are some technical issues with the kitchen"? So although the young lady said she would check if it was all right, I took an executive decision not to have breakfast but to leave and have breakfast en-route, sorry but you missed out on another £7.99.
As there were some technical issues with the kitchen I ate out that night (in the Indian across the road, they got the benefit of £30), but I noticed when I returned the kitchen was apparently knocking out meals???
I'll never know, but I suspect the 'kitchen issues' were whether the chef could be bothered getting up to cook my breakfast since I appeared to be the only guest, but you missed out on at least £37.99, which I would have otherwise have paid in the restaurant.

Did it do what it said on the tin? Well the bed was comfy, there was plenty of room (but I booked as a couple because I've had single rooms before when working away and they are generally around the back overlooking the kitchen extractors), the furniture was pleasing and functional.
There is one last point, the layout of the furniture, there was a desk and chair next to the door in room No3 as you went into the room, this was separated from the 'sideboard' which filled the rest of the wall by a 'bucket armchair', but the positioning of the desk/chair over the door-well means it can not be used as a desk, can I make a suggestion that you move the chair nearest the door and then the desk can be used by other guests as a desk to work on.
A fair amount of effort and expense has gone into the refurbishment, but I think all travellers these days expect their own bathroom and a meal. There is a fair amount of road noise too at the front and noise from the bar area downstairs.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Les G

Reviewed 27 April 2014

I have an elderly client in a wheelchair who likes to be taken out for Sunday lunch. From the second we arrived at The Bull till the minute we left we were treated to the most attentive, friendly and efficient service I've experienced in a quite a while. The bright, young staff served with a smile and were pro active about offering assistance even when they were busy. Nothing was to much trouble. The carvery is an impressive, traditional meal that is great value for money but made even more delicious when being treated to such top class and polite service. Thank you very much, we will be back.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Victoria T
Reviewed 25 April 2014

This has recently been re-opened and fitted out. It was recommended to us. We pre booked which is advisable. However our table was not ready so we went into the garden. We had a toddler with us who loved the bouncy castle, which we had not expected to be there. We waited for about 20 minutes but it was no problem. The food was very good and you could return for more vegetables. We had a lovely afternoon and as a lovely day went back to the garden after the meal for another drink and more play!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 April 2014

I think the landlord has done wonders with this pub. He has really worked hard at making it part of the community.

The decor is not my cup of tea as it seems to resemble any trendy pub in Luton. Would much have preferred that they kept it more of the village pub feel. However, it obviously works as it is very busy.

Have eaten here once for lunch and the food was very good and served quickly.

I'm an ale drinker and whilst they always have 4 good real ales on top including Doombar I am afraid it is just not served or kept well. It is always way too cold for a real ale. I cannot quite understand this as the previous landlord despite his faults managed to serve the ale at the correct temperature.

If you are not an ale drinker don't let this put you off. However, if you like a good pint of ale then look somewhere else.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 April 2014

2 adults and 3 children. This is the first time I have visited the bull for lunch. Great food excellent service wonderful atmosphere. Great value for money. There is a bouncy castle for younger children and the staff were very helpful and happy..thoroughly recommend it. We will be back

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 April 2014

I took my mother to The Carvery for Sunday lunch a couple of weeks ago, The staff were very welcoming and helpful - my mother has trouble walking and would have found it difficult to carry her dinner back to the table, so our waiter queued with me and collected Mum's meal for her - The food was delicious, cooked to perfection and very good value, and the surroundings clean and 'warm'.
I gather The Carvery is particularly popular around lunch-time and would imagine booking a table in advance is advisable.
I have also called into the bar for a midweek bar-lunch with a friend - once again, I was impressed by the friendliness of the welcoming staff and the high standard of the food. Yes we had a wait for our lunch, but, as was explained to us, the veg are all cooked fresh, to order, so this is something that you have to take into consideration when taking lunch at The Bull. This is NOT a fast-food restaurant!! The quality of the food is well worth the short wait, which gives you time for a drink and relax, while you are waiting - I had a steak and ale pie to die for - the pastry was really light and it was full of the most tender steak.
Well done 'The Bull' . . . I will definitely be back.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank gilly542014
Reviewed 2 April 2014

Had a great meal on par with any top restaurant then had a great evening with a nice bunch of people who I met in the welcoming bar.
toped of by a restful sleep in my well prepared room. Will be back sooner

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank jamesg00d2g0

Been to The Bull Hotel? Share your experiences!