“OK now and then”

Ranked #4 of 21 Restaurants in Shoeburyness
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 23 October 2013

This a nice restaurant pub. Since opening the menu has reduced in choice somewhat, but the 2 for 1 is a nice draw. The food itself is generally average at best and sometimes seeing what is served versus what is on the menu and/or ordered is frustratingly entertaining (annoying).

My hope is they improve the quality of the food so that it appears more freshly prepared and not mass prepared and microwaved (even though this has to be done) then serve up what is on the menu and/or ordered by the customer.

Certainly room for improvement.

1  Thank Red_e_read

Reviewed 11 October 2013

Quite a nice setting and friendly atmosphere but food very run of the mill although was cheap. I suppose that says it all - YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR !!!

Reviewed 30 September 2013

The first time I went, when it first opened, my food was fairly good although others in our party had problems. The service was fairly good so I was happy to return. Second time was the same, I was lucky but others had various problems with their food although service had gone downhill. Third time it was all pretty dreadful.

We had to wait 30 minutes for the starter then another hour for the main course. What did arrive was almost inedible, burned or dried out. It looked very much like some of the food had been ready for some time but was waiting for the rest to cook. We had to send a pizza back which was basically charcoal. I'd finished my meal before the replacement, clearly microwaved replacement pizza arrived.

When we went to pay the mumbled "Everything OK?" was met with a list of the problems. The girl just stared at us. Another came over and said "Did you want a free sweet?" Ermm, we're standing with our coats on, ready to leave... No apology, nothing.

It's cheap-ish but the food is awful maybe 70% of the time, service has gone down to essentially nil and cleanliness was non too good either, bits of food stuck under tables etc.

Never again.

Reviewed 29 September 2013

I have frequented this pub/restaurant many times over the last couple of years but hadn't been for a few months. I went there today for Sunday lunch and it had really gone downhill. The menu is only a fraction of what it was before. Previously there was so much to choose from and all the meals that I had sampled before were really good. However now the menu was pretty limited. My husband had the roast pork Sunday lunch and it was awful, really thin slices of dried out reheated pork and tiny portions. I had the vegetarian lasagna with garlic bread and salad, The salad was minuscule and boring and the lasagna was also a small portion which tasted like a reheated ready meal from the budget selection of a cheap supermarket.I was really disappointed as I had previously been impressed by the food and the vast selection of meals on offer. The food was served within a couple of minutes of ordering so I suspect that everything was just reheated and really poor quality. The only saving grace was the service which was prompt and friendly and the price which was two meals for one, however sadly I won't be returning as the quality and quantity has diminished.

Reviewed 28 September 2013

Efficient friendly service. Food good value at 2 for 1 main meals (it would be poor value otherwise). The beef in red wine sauce was tasty but a small quantity of tough chunks of meat.
Nice Hobgoblin (draughts rotate). Printed 2 vouchers for free pints. Worth another visit.