“Always excellent!”

Price range: US$8 - US$26
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed 17 January 2016

Had a casual evening out with a girl friend, her first time here, but I've been before. Always a popular venue as the food is always brilliant!
We had the cheesy garlic bread to start - just my friend ordered this but there was enough for 2. Very Yummy
We both then had a hanging kebab. 1 chicken satay, 1 curried chicken - lovely, as ever!
Then, just because it would be rude not to, my friend ordered the cheesecake of the day, honeycomb. Well, I've never seen such a large piece of cheesecake! We ended up sharing that too!
It was very, very good
Will definitely be returning! Amazing food, well priced and a nice venue to boot

Reviewed 14 January 2016

Lovely atmosphere, worth the drive, excellent food and reasonabl prices. Obviously popular as busy even though we went mid week. We were a large party but all the food arrived to time and everyone thoroughly enjoyed. I'd advise booking in advance to be sure of getting a table.

1  Thank FoxyladyBucks
Reviewed 5 January 2016 via mobile

Excellent sevice and food Can't fault anything.4th visit No change.staff helpful and friendly .nice garden for summer visits

Reviewed 5 January 2016 via mobile

When I arrived was a little disappointed with the ambience (we came for Boxing Day) as it seemed like any other day - I was expecting a little more fuss made. The pub is just an average pub, nothing special decor wise, but the food was surprisingly good. I had the lamb hanging kebab which was very tasty, cooked well and good value for money. My sister had the curried chicken hanging kebab and that looked very nice too. The food redeems the surroundings.

Reviewed 2 January 2016

Have been a customer at the Oak for 15 years, since we first moved to Buckinghamshire. A really good, reliable pub for food then, but then went backwards under a succession of new landlords. The latest has made real improvements and it is no surprise it has become one of the most popular eating venues in Aston Clinton. Visited a couple of times last Summer with friends for lunch and really enjoyed the food from a wide choice on the menu, served by friendly, helpful staff and the laid back atmosphere.
When some family came for a visit between Xmas and New Year, we booked a table for lunch expecting the same high standards as last Summer. Whilst the good aspects were still there with the pub spotlessly clean and the bar and waiting staff cheerful, polite and attentive the food was a major disappointment.
I chose the main course fish and chips, which when served was a very large fillet of fish, with loads of chips, a pot of mushy peas and a small side salad. The fish fillet looked huge, because of the covering of a thick layer of soft, overly greasy batter, which overwhelmed any taste of fish. The mushy peas were dry and chalky and the side salad not needed.
The rest of the family chose gammon and eggs, which arrived on similarly large square plates. The centre piece of the meal the gammon was overcooked, tough, dry and hard. It was served covered with enormous onion rings, battered the same way as my fish with large amounts of greasy, soft batter. A second disappointment.
There was not a spare table in the pub, so complaining and asking for the food to be replaced would have taken far too long, when we just didn't have the time. In any case the food should have been right first time.
Whether this poor food quality was a one off due to the pressures on the kitchen to cope with the busy Xmas period and large number of customers I don't know, but having had this experience we won't be eating here again for a while. The food is not that expensive, but not cheap either and for that sort of money I would have expected something better.