“Go Ape at Wendover Woods”
Review of Go Ape Wendover

Go Ape Wendover
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: 'Extreme' route at Go Ape Wendover Woods. A first for Go Ape, a scrambling net and climbing wall just to reach our most adventurous crossings. Will you take on the challenge? Set high up on the Northern crest of the Chilterns, at Go Ape Wendover Woods you can enjoy the spectacular and idyllic views and wild landscape across Aylesbury Vale from high up in the trees. With a smattering of tree-top high wires, high ropes crossings and a wind-in-your-face zip wire, you'll want to swing by this Tree Top Adventure in Buckinghamshire. And if you're looking for activities and things to do near Oxford, Go Ape really is just a stones throw away.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed 20 August 2014

We have 2 sons, and the eldest had been to Go Ape with a friend only 2 weeks ago. We had promised the boys that we would take them out fo rthe day - the youngest had Thorpe Park in mind. His brother had come home raving about Go Ape, so that was their choice.
My wife has a shoulder injury at the moment, so we decided that I would be the one who did the Ape thing and she would be in charge of the camera and stuff.

What an excellent afternoon! All three of us thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.The location is delightful - the cafe is very good (good quality, and not unreasonable prices - but this is not Builders tea and prices!), and you could reasonably spend an entire day at the location doing other stuff.

A few pointers:

It is fairly demanding - not overly, but you will need to be fully mobile, and not be too freaked out by heights

There is a height restriction - my youngest qualified, but nonetheless had the odd atomic wedgie

You will get dirty - there is no avoiding it. I would recommend fresh clothes - or at the very least pants and socks, unless you want to spend hours cleaning the inside of the car afterwards

It is very safe - so long as your kids follow the (excellent) instructions, AND you check stuff. I had a slighly dodgy Carabiner, so it pays to double check

It will take 3 hours - you will be in a group with other people, but you tend to stick to your little sub-group. We found that being the last to complete Stage 1 (the training area) meant that everyone else had cleared off by the time we were getting on to the oher stages. We were never held up, and the group after us never caught up

There are alternative routes to some of the stages, ranging from challenging to fiendish (only kidding), and the supervising Adult (if you have youngsters) must follow the same route as those being supervised.

Overall we loved it. A great family activity, and my 2 kids would go back tomorrow.
Go Ape, we did!

Reviewed 18 August 2014

Our troop of five; three adults and two girls 13 and 11 had a great time swinging through the trees yesterday. It was scary for the adults in places although the girls were fearless and loved it all. The briefing was well organised and ensured that everyone had a chance to build confidence on how to keep safe for the rest of the adventure. As we moved around the 5 sections there were guides on the ground every few minutes checking everyone was ok. The first 3 sections were straight forward taking you higher into the canopy then sections 4 and finally 5 more challenging if like me you hate heights. That said the set up means you feel incredibly safe all the time, the activity is really well organised and at the end of each section you return to ground via a zip wire so if you feel you have reached your limit then you are not forced onwards. Definitely a great way to spend time as a family or as a group of friends.

Reviewed 17 August 2014

I've just got back from an afternoon of swinging through the trees and we all had a great time! It's quite physically demanding so I'd suggest resting for the rest of the day before and after visiting! I found it was good to wear sports gear and trainers so it's easier to do the courses. I'd suggest wearing old clothes as the bark chippings can get a bit dirty if it's been raining.

The views of the woods are lovely and the staff and really friendly and helpful and there's always an instructor nearby in case you need assistance.

1  Thank Amy F
Reviewed 14 August 2014

Our tribe of four ranged from 11 to 66 years of age and we all had a terrific time.

After a short and well presented briefing you are on your own – although there do seem to always be staff on the lookout for any problems – so if you did need help (we didn’t) you felt it would be close at hand.

We went mid-week and the course was not overly crowded; in fact only two others started at the same time as us. This meant that we were not held up or waiting at any stage – but I suspect it can be very different at weekends. Even so, it took around two-and-a-half hours to complete all the sections.

Go Ape at Wendover has recently added an optional ‘extreme’ route around the final section. Certainly much tougher the other sections but perfectly doable if you have sufficient energy left.

Overall, one of the best days out for everyone.

1  Thank RobnG
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Myself and a group ranging in age from 17 -59 went to Go Ape at Wendover woods last Saturday. We were very lucky with the weather, sunshine the whole time, I don't think it would be much fun in the rain! The training was delivered by Jackie who was friendly and it was all very clear about how to clip on and use the safety system etc...The first zone is the training zone which is not high at all and we were all fine with that however I had a bit of a wobble on the 2nd zone (it looks so much higher when you're up there!) again Jackie was very supportive and in the end I did carry on which I am glad about. I completed the 3rd zone but was too nervous to do the 4th and 5th ones mostly because that point it was very busy and I didn't want to slow other families down (I would like to come back and give these a go on a quieter day maybe) my favourite parts were the zip wires. The rest of my party completed the whole course though, with two braving the 'extreme' option in zone 5. All in all it was good fun but if you're a bit scared of heights like me make sure you have some supportive friends / family with you!