“Chillout Week”

GreenLeadersGold level
Forres, United Kingdom
“Chillout Week”
Reviewed 31 May 2012

My daughter and I booked a week here for a relaxing holiday by the pool. Set in a lovely quiet resort is this impressive hotel. Only three years old despite its size due to the excellent design you never feel overwhelmed or crowded in. Eight pools and a lazy river set in tropical gardens in and around the hotel are amazing and provide a spot for everyone. There are areas ideal for families with children as well as areas ideal for adults wanting a bit of peace and quiet with plenty of beds for everyone. Food is excellent with something for everyone, hot and cold dishes and the deserts are amazing. Staff can not do enough for you, everything is spotlessly clean even the pool toilets. The standard of rooms is excellent, well laid out, plenty of space, proper hairdryers with everything you could possibly need though walls and ceilings are thin. I will definately be going back.

Ideal if all you want is a relaxing time in luxurious surroundings.

Room Tip: Ask for top floor to alieviate the noise of people walking about.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Nicky3131
LopesanHotelGroup, Public Relations Manager at Lopesan Baobab Resort, responded to this review, 8 June 2012
Dear Guest,

First of all we would like to express our sincerest gratitude that you have chosen our hotel for you and your daughter and also for sharing your opinion with other travelers on Tripadvisor.

We highly appreciate your positive comments about your stay, especially about the food quality, the facilities and your appreciation about our family concept. We attach great importance to the well-being of families with children and we are very happy to hear that our efforts met with your expectations.

We would be delighted to welcome you again soon and remain.

With best regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (836)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 30 May 2012

I went here on my own with a special deal for a single occupancy. The reception was very friendly and helpful. The room was perfect. A separate toilet and large shower area were apart from the basin/mirror which was incorporated in the main room, but in a very efficient way.
The room was very clean and linen and towels were replaced often (I kept receiving two of each if I wanted, every day, even with single occupancy).
The beds were very nice, large and not too hard and not too soft
Breakfast was abundant and so was dinner, having a different variety of food every night.
When checking out, there was some confusion about the minibar, which I had not used but was billed for, although only about 5 Euro.
The employee at the desk made this no problem and took it of the bill immediately.
When I stayed here, a lot of families with children were also present.

I certainly had a wonderful experience and will come back.

Room Tip: Rooms at the streetside (West) were quiet as the main pool area is on the other side.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank DubbelDutch
Dear Guest,

On behalf of the entire team of the Lopesan Baobab Resort we wish to thank you for taking the time to write your comments regarding your recent stay.

It is a pleasure to hear that you fully enjoyed your holidays and that you have been satisfied with our services and installations.

We also hope that you will return soon to give us the chance to provide you again an unforgettable stay and remain.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 May 2012

Wow what a absolutely excellent time we had at the Lopesan Baobab! We travelled with 3 children and from the moment we arrived it was fantastic. Definitely re-booking for next year! We arrived at the hotel and had our luggage taken off us by the bell boy and then went to check in and found all our luggage had been taken to our room!! Great Start!! Kids had a absolutely fabulous time and loved panchi and panchi world!
There were just a few small issues i would like to point out....there was no full length mirror in our room, the seating in the Dodori bar (outside entertainment bar) was very uncomfortable, Wi-fi was expensive and if they can give you free water at breakfast why can't there be free water with your evening buffet?
They were just a few small issues but overall had a fabulous time, hotel was immaculate, staff were very very friendly and made a huge fuss over the children and rooms were fabulous too!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Nicola S
Dear guests,

First of all would like to thank you that you have chosen our hotel for your vacation and we very much appreciate your comments on Trip Advisor.

We are delighted to hear that you spent wonderful days here and that you had been very pleased with the service and facilities provided, especially with the friendliness of our employees.

As we are always trying to improve our service level to meet all clients’ expectations and as we are taking guests comments very seriously, we have already forwarded the provided information to the affected department managers for internal processing.

It is a pleasure for us to know that you want “re-booking” for the next year. We are looking forward to welcome you back to Lopesan Baobab Resort.

Best personal regards,
Norfolk UK
Reviewed 29 May 2012

Have to admit I am very fussy when it comes to hotels, food and holiday resorts, I've also been lucky and stayed at many 5 star hotels but haven't felt compelled to write a review before. After staying at the Baobab felt I should let others know what a wonderful hotel it is. Very unusual design, spacious, well thought out and although it's a large hotel you don't notice this. Fabulous pools, excellent food, great staff, huge bedrooms with a view of the sand dune from our balcony. I would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel to anyone, and find it hard to find anything to criticise anything.
The hotel is ideal for couples and families with young children, personally I don't think it's a teenagers hotel ( my 17 year old would have been bored I think)
The only thing I felt that could be improved was the evening entertainment, the house band are somewhat repetative.
The resort of Meloneras is upmarket, stylish with no hassle from shopkeepers, no drunken loudmouths, and has a lovely promanarde for walking in the evening. There is a supermarket just by the hotel with very low prices for alcohol and soft drinks.
Don't go to Playa des Angles - horrible , nothing nice there.
Do go to Puerto de Mogan, lovely little fishing village and you can get the local bus from just by the Baobab. It's recommended that you go to Mogan on a Friday as there is a big market but the market is full of cheap tat for want of a better word, nothing nice to buy and it spoils the place.
Hope the review helps.

4 Thank Carla H
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2012

Our first time at the boabab. A very bumpy start but it got better towards the end. We usually go the Gran Lopesan but decided to try a change this time.

The hotel is big and pretty much flat surface so easy with a buggy and small kids. There is lots of open space, in the big hotel and big room and never felt crowded. the pools are super, clean and spacious. Mixture of couples, families and groups, lcoals and tourists. The buffet is ok for meat eaters but vegetarians might struggle unless you are happy with cheeses, salad, vegetables and pasta. But they made some extra veg meals for my wife that was ok. The kids activities are good, however, sometimes in the afternoon things do not run on time and hence you have waste time to be there for an activity that never takes place.

There are some animal statues around the hotel which kids love so that was also very good.

The hotel mascot, panchi is very good and the kids really loved seeing it every day at dinner and in the pool area at daytime. The water is a decent temp and the kids pool area is also very good. However, panchi world play area- there was no information on opening and closing times and you end up walking around in circles as only 1 entrance is open.

There were quite a few problems.

• We could not find “simba snacks” for children’s lunch time. The sign, near the Marula pointed to the back of panchi world and that door was closed. The staff walking around never heard about Simba snacks and yet reception advertised it as if it was a pool time snack bar.
• A poolside sandwich costs were very expensive which kind of forced you to eat in the Pili Pili or go outside of the hotel (lunch)
• My wife and baby child fell sick due to food poisoning at the hotel, on the 3rd night both were puking and sick hence the 3rd day in bed. It was from the buffet since we did not eat anywhere else that day. The hotel did offer a doctor at a charge of 80euros, we decided after 24-36 hours both were ok, we just got on with the holiday.
• The big negative thing about the trip was the chaotic, check in & hotel arrival (in the transfer). The Thomson bus drops you off at the main entrance, all your suitcases are just left outside. The Thomson rep on the bus did not give any advise or how do we get the bags, to reception (100 metres walk). She just simply left. Some passenger with no kids took their own bags. With 2 kids, 4 cases buggy I was unable to. The bellboy told me he can bring it to reception right away, but it stayed unsecured at the exit for another 45 minutes whilst we went inside. Once inside, there was no queuing system and there were bags everywhere. The welcome host only offered a cold welcome drink to selected people and excluded my family (which point I felt very discriminated). Once at check in, they said our bags are in the luggage room (but they were still outside on the road) and I was concerned about delivery charge as they were insisting to take my bags. I was concerned with so many guests just arriving and 1 bellboy I would wait for too long, I just wanted my bags in reception as told by the bellboy but that did not happen.
• When we got to the room it was pitch black and you cannot see anything. After 15 minutes of trying to get the key working I rejoined the queue at reception to get this sorted. Reception, took their time whilst my 11 month baby was screaming away (and it could be heard) chatting socially to other guests and staff and when she came up after fumbling around for 5 minutes she got it working but it was not a long term fix. What she done is use the "do not disturb sign" in the card key slot rather than the key card, which meant each time I enter the room I have to spend 3 minutes fumbling in the dark to get it working (since cleaner turn everything off). Also, it meant I had nothing to hang on the door for the next morning or I would be woken up by cleaners.
• The mini bar was also broken and our baby milk was ruined (day 2). I tried to complain to reception later but they did not seem interested. It was only thanks to the onsite Thomson Rep who complained on our behalf the hotel took it seriously. I think after the local Rep got involved, then the hotel decided to change our room, or fix the faulty items and we went for the latter as we had already settled in so was very hard to move. Ideally a 5 star hotel should check the rooms before giving them to guests, since we quite disturbed. the rooms offered were unsuitable since were not pool view as we currently had so little surprise we stayed put. The key problem and fridge were replaced however and worked fine after.
• The Marula buffet restaurant service is not good like Boabab. if you have a bad table, you are sitting is absolute darkness. There is no lights available I don’t understand, how do you feed 2 small children in darkness, as when you enter there is light but its dark by 9pm. The timing is such that you have to go to Marula at 815 after mini disco so you have no choice I would prefer the Boabab-but its closed at that time. I grew up in Africa so I am not clear why darkness is a theme
• The waitress kept coming to look at my food and without asking poured the rest of my drink into my glass and ruin the perfect mix of ice and drink, and walked off without a replacement. I found this very disturbing in a 5 star hotel, you should ask a customer if they want their drink poured. Whilst they were working fast as possible I found the interaction level needs some improvement.
• Wifi was not free and cost several euro’s for the day but a 30 minute free trial was what I used. I think free trials in Sumuel Baker bar started the day we left to go home

Overall a very beautiful hotel but given the issues we faced, the service was not as expected and I was disappointed since we spent a lot of money/savings and built anticipation for a 5 star holiday. We did receive an apology not and cava on day 4 after this things were fine but basically half the holiday was lost by this time which is unfortunate.

Room Tip: building on the reception side face the entertainment hence noisy, but pool view is worth it
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank RaviDoshi
Woodhall Spa, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 May 2012

Got back this morning from here, the hotel is great, the pools are great and the food is great, although it did seem to be alot better at the start of the week than then end but it was still good, plenty of choice so ignore the reviews saying the food is horrible. The walls are thin like others have said but we didnt have any problems with noisy people next door, id request top floor though if you can, the banging from people walking above becomes very annoying. This is a great hotel, you dont get people walking around drunk 24hours aday like most places in spain as this isn't really the hotel for those types of people. One thing though watch how much you pay, thomson seem to change the price every day, we heard some people saying they paid £800 each for a week half board and we paid £390 each for a week half board, both with thomson with the same flight.

Room Tip: Ask for a top floor so you dont get the banging from above.
3 Thank whiteley83
Dear Guest,

On behalf of the entire crew of the Lopesan Baobab Resort we wish to thank you for your comments published.

We are delighted to hear that you spent wonderful and relaxing days with us and that you have been very pleased with the service and facilities provided by the hotel team. As the welfare of our guests is extremely important for us, we are eager to provide our guests with a personal and competent service at any time.

Once again thank you for choose our hotel.

We are looking forward to welcome you back to the Lopesan Baobab Resort.

Alesund, Norway
Reviewed 25 May 2012

From the moment we walked in until we checked out the staff were always courteous and always looking to help guest. Upon checking in, we received a welcome drink that was a nice touch to our check in we had dinner at the restaurant the first night, even it was amazing food we felt that is was bit pricey so recommend if you can add dinner on booking. Everyday our room was cleaned to the highest standard and was shocked at how it was cleaned, in previous reviews people mention that it is a dark place, I agree with this but thats brings of the theme of African with the natural lighting. I would recommend this hotel to anyone, for all ages, there is always something to do.

Room Tip: Rooms are with private pools are brilliant
5 Thank Shaun C
Dear guests,

We are very happy that you had such a good time with us and we are especially glad about your positive valuation of our installations and particularly about your satisfaction with our staff and services. These qualities, as well as the mentioned care for details, are of great importance for us and we are delighted that we met your expectations.

For us it has been a real pleasure having met to you as guests of Lopesan Baobab Resort, and really hope to welcome you again soon.

With best regards,
Also consider these accommodations in or near Meloneras
Lopesan Costa Meloneras Resort, Spa & Casino
#7 of 134 in Playa del Ingles
Melia Tamarindos
Melia Tamarindos
#5 of 19 in San Agustin

Been to Lopesan Baobab Resort? Share your experiences!