“Unique and Beautiful!”

GreenLeadersGold level
uk
“Unique and Beautiful!”
Reviewed 17 December 2013

We stayed here at the end of November to celebrate a Birthday, and I can honestly stay it is one of the best hotels we have stayed in.

When we arrived we wondered where we had come to as it didn't look up to much, but when we entered the hotel it was like walking into Africa. There has been considerable thought in the design, from landscaped gardens, waterfalls, elephants, crocodiles, zebras, giraffes, rhinos, and flamingos, (not real ones!). The walkway and African lodge is extremely impressive.

Our room was a suite and had a double balcony overlooking Costa Meloneras. It was very spacious (room 1185), and was the cleanest room we have ever stayed in. Often you see staff cleaning around the hotel, including the pools. Staff were always polite, and we were made extremely welcome on arrival.

The food was plentiful, and had every choice. I do not understand why people complain about the food. You will never please everyone regarding food, but what do people want?!! People complain about the food being cold. What do you expect when it is a buffet, by the time you've gone round choosing everything it's no wonder it goes cold!! I'm a veggie and I was concerned that i would have a few problems. There was a couple of times when I wanted something different, and the chef went and made something for me and brought it to my table. You will have no problem just ask!

Location wise it is close to the boutique and designer shops. There is a supermarket across the road. Maspalomas dunes, and lighthouse are about a 15 minute walk away.

Entertainment is a personal choice, we don't go away for this it just depends what you like. They have tribute bands eg Queen, and the resident band which play in the Richard Burton Bar.

The only thing negative I would say about this hotel is the lightning it is extremely dark, especially at night. It is so dark in one of the bars that my husband had to use his torch app on his phone to read the bar menu. The stairwells are dark, and I would advise to use the lifts at night. I can appreciate that they want to keep the ambiance, which does look impressive at night, however with a bit of improvement the ambiance would not be altered. Do not be put off by this though. it's just an improvement that needs to be addressed.

Overall we had a lovely holiday, it was our first time to Gran Canaria and we would definitely stay at this hotel again. It is nothing like we have stayed in before.

3 Thank juniper89

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (831)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
norfolk england
Reviewed 17 December 2013

My husband and I have been to Gran Canaria many times and watched this hotel being built and always thought how ugly it looked, when our daughter asked me to go with her and our granddaughter I was a bit worried.
On arriving at the entrance I still thought it looked ugly but once through the door my opinions soon changed.
The inside of the place is amazing and you would for a moment think you were in the jungle.Everywhere there are trees and plants and lots of waterways with life size animals dotted about.
We were given a drink at reception while checking in (nice touch) which only took a few minuets and the staff spoke good English which enabled us to find our room quickly.
We had a family sized room on the first floor which was plenty big enough with two single beds and a double sofa bed,huge bath which was part of a wet room separate toilet and large hand basin.There was also plenty of wardrobe space for three people and the balcony was spacious and private,rooms kept very clean.
The reception staff gave us a map of the hotel which was handy as it's so big it would take a while to find things.We used this map for three days until we got our bearings.
The ground are beautifully kept and each time we went out we found more life size animals dotted about amongst the trees and pools.
There are lots of pools to choose from three were heated and a river which runs around the others so you can swim from one into another without getting out of the water,these were all well maintained and kept very clean as were the walkways and gardens.
We ate in the main restaurant most nights and found a good choice of food,there was always plenty of meat and fish dishes as well as pasta,rice and salads to tempt you.
After dinner we went to watch the entertainment which was what you would expect, some good others not so but hey you are on holiday!!
There is another dance bar which has a resident band and they kept us entertained later in the evening.
Overall we had a good time here it's a great hotel with lots to keep adults and children amused,my granddaughter is thirteen and she found plenty to do all the time.
I only have one small complaint and that is the lighting I found the whole place to be dark, putting your lippy on in the room was difficult to say the least and depending where you sat in the dining room made it hard to see what you were eating. I know they are trying to create an atmosphere but that really should be looked into ,for me anyway, my family didn't have a problem so maybe it's just my old eyes!!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank avispa
Stirling, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 December 2013

We have visited Gran Canaria many times but this is the first time we have stayed in a hotel, usually staying at Anfi Resorts timeshares but its is getting more difficult to get in there so we chose this hotel instead and were not disappointed.

Having read the many reviews on Tripadvisor we went with an open mind and would like to confirm that this is an amazing hotel, I cannot repeat the many superlatives about the hotel so will try and write a review that people planning on visiting this hotel may find helpful.

On arriving at reception we were dealt with efficiently and quickly and presented with a cocktail while waiting. We chose to take our own luggage to the room but there was a concierge service at the entrance to the hotel who arranged for cases to be brought to your room. On checking in you are presented with two card keys to open the door, these same cards are used to charge drinks to and are swiped on the entrance to the restaurant.

Room
Booked a standard room but were upgraded to the top floor in building 8 overlooking the Costa Meloneras Hotel, with sea views on either side of the hotel. This room was quiet when the door was closed, and we never had any problems sleeping. The bed was also extremely comfortable. You have to use the key card to switch on the lights, when we arrived the room was in darkness and it was a bit frustrating fumbling around trying to find the light switch that you inserted the key card into to switch on the lights. This switch is facing you on the flat end of the wardrobe, you can also use the Do Not Disturb sign turned upside down to keep the lights on.

As you go in the door this area is where the sink is which is open plan to the bedroom, the shower and bathtub are closed off by a door and opposite is the toilet which is also closed off by a door. This area is where the mirrors are, one on each wall, one over the sink area, and another on the opposite wall over the vanity unit. This area is brightly lit, so is more suitable for doing make up and hair, there is a hinged magnifying mirror by the sink, but if you like to sit whilst putting make up on bring your own small magnifying mirror, also the hair dryer is one of the large type which I find heavy so I also brought my own smaller lighter dryer.

By the sink there is a soap dispenser which is simply squeezed to dispense the soap, there is also a shower gel dispenser in the shower area. The complimentary toiletries consisted of a small bottle of body cream, two shower caps, 2 cotton buds and 2 cotton ball type pads, sewing kit and a shoe horn.

The safe is a good size and there is a small charge for it, it easily takes camera's, iPad's etc. The Mini Bar is also a good size, and they do not mind you putting your own items in it, was even big enough to take a bottle of Cava.

Next to the balcony sliding door is another vanity unit, but no mirror, I think this may be the reason why the nice white chair provided here has wheels on it so it can be wheeled to the other end of the room where the mirrors are. There are two wardrobe spaces, so ideal for a his and hers, plenty of shelves and another low vanity unit with four wide drawers.

The balcony was a good size, small round table and two wicker type chairs. No sun loungers on balcony even although it was big enough to take them. It was on top floor of this block, it was open to the sun (not enclosed like some others) and the sun was on the balcony from 10 am to just after 4 pm.

Restaurant
We used the Boabab Restuarant and never had to queue during the time we were there, however I do not think the hotel was full. Your key cards are swiped as you enter the restaurant, and a member of staff will take you to a table, the free cava with breakfast and dinner is on the right hand side as you go in the door, sometimes the person who shows you to your table will get it for you other times you have to help yourself.

I will not repeat what others have said about the food, all I can say is if you do not find anything to eat out of the variety of food presented in the buffet then I think you must be very hard to please. Only thing I will comment on is, some items were not as hot as we would like, but have to say that the one time that we went for dinner at 6 pm (not our preferred time) we found everything to be piping hot. There is a microwave situated where the toasting machines are, so I suppose you could always use it to heat anything up.

The restaurant is split into separate sections, so it doesn't have the feel of one huge open plan restaurant, in the main sections there are spot lights on the table, other than that the lights are subdued, if you sit along by the windows which look onto the outside decking table area, these tables are lit by candle light so are darker, but more intimate. The restaurant does get noisy at times though which is only natural considering its size.

Opening times are breakfast 7 am - 10 am, Dinner 6 pm - 10 pm, as we are normally early risers we thought breakfast would be no problem as we will be nice and early, however it did not get light until 7.50 am so not conducive to getting up on holiday bright and early, sometimes we didn't go until 9 am, but always got a table with no problems. It got dark around 6.30 pm.

Pools and Outside Area
You are spoiled for choice on which pool to use, the pool areas are stunning, and never did we have any problems getting sunbeds, it is hard to imagine how busy the hotel must be for people to have problems finding a sunbed, however if this is what happens as so many people have mentioned in previous reviews I do not think we would like to visit the hotel during the busy summer months. It is perfect though for a winter week.

I can see why this hotel would be a big draw for families with its African theme and all the animals in and around the resort, during our week there were lots of families with pre-school age children, but there were also a great mix of guests from older and middle age couples to younger people too of all Nationalities, a nice mix.

Weather
It was better than we expected, we had two half days of rain during the week, one afternoon and one morning the following day, temperatures varied but were as high as 26 deg. throughout the week, it cooled down at night and in the morning so always best to take clothes for all varieties of weather, especially at this time of year.

Location
This hotel is ideally situated, a slightly downhill/uphill entrance to the hotel, from then on it is flat, you are only about 2 minutes walk to the round about where the shops start, across the round about there is the Varadero Shopping Centre, which runs all the way down to the walk way along the front which goes for about a mile to the Faro Lighthouse and then the beach. There is a good mix of upmarket shops with designer goods, and others including the usual perfume stores. If you like items with your name engraved on it, in the shopping centre there is a girl at a stall with some really nice items, compact mirrors, business card cases, bracelets etc and she includes your name beautifully engraved at no extra cost.

Staff
I think the Staff are this hotel's jewel in the crown, they are extremely helpful and everyone one you pass by always had a greeting of some sort for you.

All in all we had a lovely chill out week in a beautiful resort hotel, with good food and nice weather, would I go back, YES but probably at the same time of year when the hotel was not so busy and we had the chance of some nice warm weather during our depths of winter.

I do hope this review will be helpful to some who are anticipating a visit to this hotel, go with an open mind and you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
18 Thank MGKE
Newcastle, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 December 2013

We have stayed in other Lopesan hotels in Gran Canaria and would have gone back but this looked a little different and so we decided to give it a try. It didn't disappoint. The staff were friendly and very efficient and there were loads of them. The restaurants were themed each evening so the food wasn't repetitive at all. Situated right in the centre of Melonaris so only a short walk to the beach or shops and a huge range of restaurants.

The only criticism we would have, if any, is that it isn't sufficiently soundproofed to cut out noise from other rooms i.e. babies crying.

It would have been great if there had been a spa but the spas in the other Lopesan hotels are open to any guests at Baobab.

Room Tip: Ask for a high up room with a garden view. This makes the most of the views of the hotel grounds.
3 Thank Dawn S
berks
Reviewed 15 December 2013

all in all this is a very nice hotel,very clean. the pool area is spotless as is reception and restaurants,the rooms are big and spacious but one problem with the rooms is that they are very dark and to many light switches,we were forever trying to find which switch turned on which light and it is very dark when u need to do your hair.the bathroom /wetroom is very big also.please take travel kettle as there is no tea making facilities in room but there is a fridge and you can buy milk from supermarket. The hotel is a very dark and windy place but you always feel your the only one there because it is very big.The staff are very friendly and always there to help.The entertainment at nite could have been better for a 5 star,we found it quite boring most nites.Plenty of sunbeds to be found around the 7 pools during the day and quite a lot of quiet spots to read.Plenty of shops to visit and a nice promenade to do a bit of walking.

Room Tip: the walls in the rooms are very thin and we could hear a baby crying on most nites but it didn't...
2 Thank onlyeyes
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 December 2013 via mobile

We visited the Boabab in the first week of December on Full Board accommodation and had a fantastic time. The hotel itself is visually stunning and so impressive. On arrival you are transported into an African paradise complete with animal noises and chill out music. From the moment we arrived until our departure we were treated amazingly well.The staff at the Boabab work harder than any hotel staff I've ever come across and it's all done with smiles on their faces! The food is sensational; so much variety and everything cooked to perfection. The desserts were out of this world! Our room was great and very spacious. The facilities in the hotel are brilliant especially the swimming pools. We never once had a problem finding a sun lounger. The grounds are maintained to such a high standard even down to the pebbles. The location of the hotel was perfect; great beach, sand dunes, loads of bars, restaurants and upmarket boutiques. Cannot recommend this hotel enough. We will definitely be returning!! Tasha and Korey

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Natasha E
Coventry, England
Reviewed 13 December 2013

We seldom return to hotels let alone resorts but after visiting in March of this year and enjoying it so much we decided to visit again in December this time with our extended family.
We let them enter the complex before us as we had previous experience and they had the same previous first impressions as us. The hotel is an amazing complex that in our opinion offers you everything you could wish for, yes some sun beds are in the shade which some people actually prefer, yes at first some pools feel cool but hey it's December!
The food is good always meat,fish, pasta & salads, what do people want.
The hotel is light but this is to control the ambience of the place, the staff are always polite and friendly. I struggle with some people on holiday who just wish to moan about minor issues, enjoy yourself you are on holiday.
Any complaints, we'll let me think........yes a more fluffy towel in the room after that I struggle.
The Design and layout is amazing, A credit to whoever did this.
Go visit ,you will not be dissapointed.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Coventry_EnglandMark
Also consider these accommodations in or near Meloneras
Lopesan Costa Meloneras Resort, Spa & Casino
Hotel Riu Palace Maspalomas
Hotel Riu Palace Maspalomas
#7 of 134 in Playa del Ingles
Sheraton Gran Canaria Salobre Golf Resort

Been to Lopesan Baobab Resort? Share your experiences!