“we went for food not a b & b visit”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of The Riverbank

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Truro
The Riverbank
Ranked #31 of 36 Truro B&B and Inns
Truro, United Kingdom
“we went for food not a b & b visit”
Reviewed 8 September 2012

We went on a saturday night to have some food and were really disppointed to find the place very quiet which is a shame as its a lovely location on the river, has a decent sized outside space and lovely conservatory, the staff were really nice, welcoming, friendly and chatty but the menu was not very appealing, I do however appreciate that a menu is totally subjective and depends on personal preference I have to say that from now on i would check menus online where ever possible to avoid a repeat. We did order some homemade pork scratchings and garlic Ciabatta to nibble on as we were hungry but the garlic bred was under cooked, heavy and soft instead of crispy and light as I would expect for ciabatta, It also had a lot of dried rosemary stuck to the bottom. The pork scratchings arrived in a little screw top jar which was quite sweet, but they were diced...... so if you are expecting big, warm, yummy pork scratchings you will be left wanting.
I must say that their sunday lunch blackboard was worded well and sounded good..... and I could almost be tempted back to try this........maybe, though if on a very quiet saturday night garlic bread isn't right i'm not sure a sunday roast would be worth it. Sorry Riverbank

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 September 2012

We traveled from London to attend a wedding on the Saturday. Arriving Friday afternoon, we were immediately looked after by the hotel staff. This exemplary attitude persisted for our whole stay. Every member of staff went out of their way to make our stay special. We also had the added situation of a small puppy which we had to bring with us and the hotel and their staff were all happy to see her too.
I would recommend this hotel to anyone. For those who believe that the days of customer service have long gone the Riverbank will remnd you of what used to be considered a standard but is now a rarity.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
Blackpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 July 2012

I attended my sons wedding at the Riverbank on Tuesday 17th July and we had a wonderful time. The food at the reception was excellent and my opinion was shared by the other guests. I had the Haddock for breakfast and it was perfect. Emma went out of her way to make sure everything went smoothly and couldn't do enough for us. Situated by the river behind the Cathedral it is right in the heart of the city. Admittedly the car parking was not easy to find and exiting onto the main road took great care as there is a bend to the right and cars tend to round it quickly. Rooms are spacious and comfortable. I particularly liked the wet room shower. Thanks to John and Joss and a lady with a wicked sense of humour whose name I didn't catch as well as to Emma. If, like myself, your sense of direction sometimes lets you down you need have no fear here as you can see the Cathedral from anywhere in the city and the hotel is just behind it.

Room Tip: There are only eight rooms and my family tell me all theirs were ok so you don't really have to...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Aylesbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 July 2012

Second time I have stayed in the last 4 months - what a change since the last. New owners have replaced the previous attitude with a much happier atmosphere and this is reflected in recent excellent reviews.
Room rate is no more than you pay for the Premier Inn 2 miles out of Truro in the middle of nowhere, plus you get free wifi in your room, a proper cooked breakfast (not reheated) and you are in the middle of the city next to the Cathedral).
Rooms are modern as shown elsewhere and clean. Only thing missing from mine (room 8) was a shaver point, but I mentioned this and I think the electrician will be in next week, such was the the proactive response!
Great bar and dining area, new Restaurant Manager Tamara was a great host. Didn't eat there, but should have done - don't go to the Shanghai Lounge unless you like 1980's-style MSG-covered gloop! Many business travellers have a budget for evening meals (mine is £25) and I am told the chef will be putting one together soon - only reason we didn't eat in.
A basic continental offering for breakfast, but the cooked breakfast which is included in the room rate is cooked to order - fantastic tasting bacon, mushrooms and local sausage, plus some local smoked fish with poached egg.
Small private car park which is charged for. Don't bother - park in the the council car park opposite, it is a £1 to park from 1800 - 0100, then free until 0900.
Overall, ignore the reviews prior to this year - the most recent ones best describe the hotel and restaurant now. Will be back later in August again.

Room Tip: Rooms 1 and 2 seem closer to the terrace, which could get busy on a nice evening. Rooms 4 onwards wo...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 July 2012

My husband and I took a very last minute trip to Truro and so couldn't book a B&B which is where we would usually prefer to stay. So we booked in here as it was really the only thing left that had rooms. It is a very nice restaurant/hotel and the staff were all very friendly. It is very difficult to find their parking so I recommend phoning in advance to get directions (beware it costs £6 per night! But you can put it on the room so you won't need change). When we finally found where to park it was only a 30sec walk from the rear of the property so was great (could really do with a little map on the website!). We arrived shattered and were happy to find a clean, clear room. The en suite is a wet room and the shower really was great, lots of hot water.

The only thing I would say about the room (room number 1) is that right outside our room was an air-conditioning unit. Not sure if it was for another room or possibly for the restaurant kitchen below. It kept going all through the night and woke my husband several times. Also, over the windows are blinds not curtains which let light in around the edge. This woke me up much earlier than planned in the mornings, though I did manage to go back to sleep.

We stayed for two nights and having had a very busy few weeks were ready to crash so spent several hours a day sitting in the bar, drinking and catching up on the Tour de France progress on our ipad! The staff were lovely, and all drinks went on the room tab so no faffing around with cash. It is really located in the heart of Truro so no need to use the car when you're there, we did a lot of strolling around Truro and pottering/window shopping in the side streets. We would highly recommend 'Chantek' restaurant for thai food, only a 5-10min walk away.

We probably wouldn't stay again as we prefer quiet places when we go away and good quality sleep is high on our list. Having said this, we had a better stay than anticipated and it was a very nice place and I'm sure lots of people would be very happy here.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 11 June 2012 via mobile

I stayed overnight for business & what a great place, a warm welcome when I arrived & my bag was taken to my very large room. The bed was huge (possibly a zipped together twin) & very comfortable. The room & bathroom were both clean & tidy with no complaints. Dinner in the conservatory was lovely overlooking the little river towards the cathedral. Would love to come back for a couple of nights with the other half & this would be ideal, recommend a visit/stay.

• Stayed June 2012
Reviewed 22 May 2012 via mobile

Came here last year and swore never to come back! The place was dirty, with sullen staff and a general get stuffed attitude. Met here for dinner this week and found I didn't want to leave! Suntrap of a deck - right on the river - happy caring staff, a perfectly cooked steak - finally there is a place to go in Truro. Well done to the new owners/ management/ staff - whoever you are!

• Stayed May 2012