“Great place to stay”

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Truro
Exeter
“Great place to stay”
Reviewed 26 August 2012

A charming hotel in a beautiful setting. The building would probably benefit from having some money spent on it but this was more than compensated for by the wonderfully friendly and helpful staff for whom nothing was too much trouble. Our room was spotlessly clean and very well equipped and the en-suite was almost as big as the average modern hotel bedroom. Breakfast was very good - cooked to perfection and the service was excellent. The menu had so many choices! We only stayed one night but we will definitely come again and stay for longer.

Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
  • Polish first
Hayle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 August 2012

We were guests at a fine wedding here,the grounds when arriving are quite splendid but I should warn those with mobility problems that the walk down/up to and from the car park is steep.
Positive aspects are...
Wonderful great hall where the ceremony and Lunch was held
Fine old building with much of the old Convent details still in situ
Splendid gardens,ideal for photographs.

Negative....
The entrance area including reception are quite frankly dire.
Bar and public area is so poor they should be embarrassed
Staff,need some training,eg,my wife was served wine in a dirty glass,asked for another and received a withering look,when replaced the girl held the returned glass to the light and shook her head...not good enough.

This is going to be very good but needs a lot of money,training of staff and someone with a degree of taste to decorate in suitable fashion.
As we did not stay over I asked those that did about the rooms,all were pleased but stated the bedrooms were dated and again in need of some work.

Room Tip: Ask one or two of the others who have stayed here.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank RoyL65
Cardiff
Reviewed 25 August 2012

After a recent stay at the Alverton I have to say I loved it. It's very different to many hotels in the area but was a great experience. The staff were all very warm and welcoming and made my stay very enjoyable. The reception staff were very helpful on arrival and the service to my room was great. My room was lovely, bed was huge and had a great nights sleep. The breakfast was amazing, the only down side to my stay was I would have enjoyed a shower in the morning, but unfortunately there wasn't one available. Wonderful Hotel, great staff and very enjoyable stay!

Room Tip: Room 25 is amazing!
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
Loughborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 August 2012

I have frequented this hotel on my many business trips to the city of Truro. I am not usually one for tripadvisor, hence my lack of activity prior to this review; however I felt due to the service I have received the Alverton Manor Hotel deserved a review.

Rooms:
The rooms have an outdated decor, however having spoken to the very helpful staff on reception, I am under the impression that they have refurbishments coming up. On the other hand, the outdated decor adds to the character of the hotel.

Staff:
All of the staff are very helpful, on entering the hotel, you are greeted with the smiling faces of reception. The porters always willing to go out of their way to help, and the waiting staff are always polite and on hand at all times.

Grounds:
The grounds are superb and can be viewed from most of the rooms of the hotel.

Location:
Just a five minute walk from the buzz of the city centre, ten minutes from the train station and twenty from Newquay airport, you couldn't ask for a better location.

I do hope this review has been helpful to prospective guests.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank jemmalouise11
Reviewed 20 August 2012 via mobile

The rooms are fantastic and the staff have always been wonderful, complements to the chef too as the food was excellent on all three occasions we have there.
It is a peaceful location in a city and I liked to look out on the gardens in the morning

• Stayed September 2011
Cornwall
Reviewed 19 August 2012

Stayed at the Alverton whilst in the area on business. Fist impressions were that the grounds are truly magnificent. An abundance of character meets you as you approach the sweeping driveway, very fairytale.

Staff 'Welcome' was a bit of a let down, as I approached reception I could hear the receptionist speaking very disrespectfully about the management. She did, however, manage a smile as she pleasantly booked me in.

Not quite sure what problems they may be having internally, but i did not let this put me off my stay and everything else failed to disappoint.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank illegally_blonde529
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 August 2012

My husband and I had a 4 night stay so we had the ideal opportunity to get a real feel for the hotel and what it has to offer. The building is beautiful and has a character and charm that is missing from larger chain hotels. The grounds are very well kept and there is adequate parking. The staff are amazing and nothing was too much trouble no matter what the time of day. There is a calmness and efficiency about the place which is very relaxing and is undoubtably down to a well run and happy team of staff. All the reception staff were incredibly helpful, enthusiastic and friendly. The breakfast was a delight and catered for every conceivable taste and dietary need. My husband loves his breakfast and likes to 'stock up' for the day and was never disappointed. Nothing was too much trouble for the restaurant staff and all of our food was freshly cooked to order but without a long wait! Each morning I had perfectly poached eggs with my full English breakfast. The standard of the food was first class. Our quaint bedroom was very clean and full of character, bathrobes were included and we had free WiFi. Our room was cleaned and fresh towels etc provided daily. I have already recommended the hotel to my friends and we have booked ourselves in for the New Year celebrations. I sincerely have no hesitation in recommending this hotel for a delightful stay!

Room Tip: Go for the rooms that overlook the gardens.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Angela A
Also consider these accommodations in or near Truro
The Carlyon Bay
#4 of 4 in Truro
Mannings Hotel
Mannings Hotel
#3 of 4 in Truro

Been to The Alverton? Share your experiences!