“Excellent food and nice accomodation”
Review of The Alverton

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Truro
Reviewed 14 February 2013

We had an overnight stay DBB. The building is lovely, excellent location to walk into town if you want to. Room was nicely furnished and spacious. We tend to go off peak so the hotel was quiet. Evening meal was superb. All beautifully presented, top quality ingredients and really delicious (and we are foodies). Staff were attentive but we were not rushed at all. Breakfast the next morning was equally top notch.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Georgina S

Reviewed 3 February 2013

We recently returned to The Alverton for a lonng weekend, having had our Wedding Reception there almost 20 years ago. The service then was exemplary and this weekend it continues to live up to those exceptionally high standards.
The room we stayed in was recently refurbished and I was concerned that they may have lost that special charm of the hotel, but they havent. The very tasteful redecoration retains the charm and feel of this beautiful building.
The restaurant has always served expectionally high quality foood on each of our visits adn this occasion was no exception. High quality ingredients, presented beautifully and extremely tasty.
The recently started 'Steak Night' is a fantastic idea, 12 of us ate there for the first Friday Steak night a real bargain considering the quality of the steaks, all cooked to each diners preferences adn all served hot.
Finally the staff, every single member of staff was so helpful, polite and willing to do everything they could to make the stay an absolute pleasure.
Get to this hotel quickly because once all the refurbishments are complete they could certainly increase the prices as I believe the star rating will rocket - it certainly deserves to.

Room Tip: Room 21 is beautiful - but so are all the rooms
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Mandy C
AlvertonManor, Front Office Manager at The Alverton, responded to this reviewResponded 5 July 2013

I am pleased to see that returning to The Alverton after 20 years you still had a fantastic time. I have passed on your compliments to the staff and look forward to seeing you soon - hopefully not 20 years.
Kind Regards,

Reviewed 7 January 2013

I have often wanted to try this restaurant if only because it is such a magnificent historical building to enjoy. Walking through the entrance, the beautiful architectural features are so inviting, as were the young staff who were delightful.
Sadly, the restaurant and adjacent bar were in great need of a total refurbishment. One could feel the sadness of the decor........deteriorating leather chairs in the bar and bland and uninviting tables in the restaurant. I have to say I have always had a problem with certain hotels who have taken traditional large living rooms and tried to make a bar out of them without attempting to give atmosphere to the conversion. This is no exception. The only saviour was the wonderful view of the gardens which are like an oasis in the middle of Truro.
The service was nonetheless exceptional, with a pleasant luncheon choice albeit with limited options. The beetroot cured smoked salmon was interesting, pleasant, but not exceptional. The steaks and fish we chose were pleasant but again nothing special.
Perhaps had we had a full menu to choose from, we might have been able to give the kitchen a greater chance to impress.
This restaurant cries out for a complete overhaul that is sympathetic to the style of the building but providing a level of warmth and comfort that would blend in and be more inviting.
Certainly worth another try.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Daalekuk

I am pleased you found the architectural features so inviting. At The Alverton, we cherish the architecture provided to us by the historical building.
In regards to your comments on the restaurant and bar, we are pleased to inform you that at The Alverton, we are coming to the end of major refurbishments. The hotel is now stylish and has recently been awarded a rosette from the AA for our food.
I recommend that you come and visit us, you will be amazed by the transformation.
Kind Regards,

Reviewed 1 January 2013

Excellent all round, with a few amazing secret treats. Stunning views, fantastic service and lovely ambience. Thanks you for a wonderful stay. Extra special thank you to Tony at breakfast - you were so friendly and welcoming. Hope you enjoyed your new years day golf.

• Stayed: December 2012
3  Thank VFit
Reviewed 21 December 2012

I am a business road-warrior and this review is written with my needs in mind. Others may disagree entirely. I have stayed here 6 or 7 times over the last 4 years and this review reflects the consistency of the place. Not a lot has changed.
My employers seem to prefer this hotel and the Mannings Hotel in Truro for their staff. Sadly I only ever seem to come here in the wetter, colder days of winter. This hotel looks superb for a late spring/summer stay because of its gardens and grounds. (Please send me here in Summer!)

The hotel is situated up a bit of a hill, and it is a reasonable stride into the town centre. For this reason alone, I would advise a little caution if any of your party (e.g. the elderly or toddlers) have mobility or energy issues.
The staff are much more friendly and helpful than in most hotels.
I am more used to a standard business hotel which is sleek and functional with fitted furniture and the like. This hotel has a certain vintage, and although a bit battered around the edges, I think that it exudes character. The well worn feel enhances that character in my eyes.
The management have evidently tried! A teddy bear on the bed seems a bit strange to a single male, middle aged business traveller - but I am sure that the ladies love it. Nice touch.
Bedrooms are a reasonable size, and the furniture provided is more 'character' than 'modern sleek and minimalist.
Would I stay here again? Yes - nothing really to complain about, but nothing above average for a business visit.

However - if I was on a romantic break, or celebrating a wedding/jubilee etc in the summer months, then I would choose this hotel with no hesitation.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Ravenser
Reviewed 8 December 2012

Very uninspired by my visit here - also being on a dual carriage way you cannot turn towards Truro and have to do a very awkward U turn across the traffic lights - Disappointing but hopefully better when all the rebuilding that is going on at present is completed - doesn't improve the turning out onto main road though

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Jane B
Reviewed 7 December 2012

The website and pictures on laterooms etc do not do justice to this great hotel. Good location just a short walk from the city centre. Ample parking and great public areas. Bedrooms slightly chintzy and a little dated but very comfortable.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Truro
The Greenbank Hotel
The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay
The Carlyon Bay
The Carlyon Bay
#1 of 9 in St Austell

Been to The Alverton? Share your experiences!