“Tranquility in the City - Thank You”
Review of The Alverton

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Truro
Perranporth, England, United Kingdom
“Tranquility in the City - Thank You”
Reviewed 5 April 2013

My husband and I stayed in one of the newly designed suites at The Alverton on 23rd March 2013. It is a beautiful venue, with a calm and relaxed ambiance and the staff are friendly and accommodating. The room was divine balancing traditional decor with a contemporary twist and respecting the charm and character of the building. The dinner and breakfast were a joy! Congratulations on what is evolving into a very successful re-brand of this hotel, I will certainly recommend the hotel and will be exploring the potential of using the conferencing facilities in a business capacity. Many thanks for your hospitality.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
  • Polish first
Ivybridge, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 April 2013

The hotel is undergoing a much needed transformation. It is being done with care to the paying guests with wings of the hotel closed off to prevent any disturbance. Saying this the food was excellent - a cream tea that was more than generous with enough tea to satisfy the most ardent of tea drinkers!. The recently refurbished bedroom was lovely with plenty of space and a comfortable bed.We will be back and will wait to see what they accomplish with the communal spaces. The buildings have real character and the location within walking distance of the city centre belies the peace and quiet.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
AlvertonManor, Front Office Manager at The Alverton, responded to this review, 5 July 2013
I am pleased to be able to announce that the new refurbishment of the bar/brasserie in now complete, so if you return soon, you will be able to see the transformation for yourself.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 April 2013

I visited the Alverton on a recent family trip - my Sister lives nearby and I booked the Alverton primarily based on location - what a lucky find!! I've driven past the entrance a number of times, but never realised what a great building/grounds sat just up the driveway.

It feels from the public areas as if the building is in mid-renovation (don't get me wrong - no visible building or construction work) as there are some old fashioned carpets, finishes etc mixed in with the newer fresher aras such as the check in lobby (behind a marvellous old fashioned double wooden door) - some of the other reviews also imply some rooms are not yet updated.

I was in a suite which was obviously a fairly recently updated room - very on trend in a boutique hotel style, not at all stuffy or old school. The room blended the features of the building - deep window seats, high ceilings etc. with good furnishings etc. Superb and very spacious bathroom with separate shower area and deep bath.
Breakfast service was great with good local ingredients served as part of the made to order hot breakfast (although no one spotted the glasses for juices at just above eye-level at the cold buffet table!)

I will certainly be staying here next time I am visiting family in Truro - as great find

Room Tip: I have a feeling I was in a recently updated and very large room, might be worth checking if your ro...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
It is always interesting to read peoples reviews and we have based a lot of our new branding around these. One of our key slogans is 'The Alverton, our secret in the city.'
Bedford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 March 2013

It was a "sad occasion" that brought us to this hotel for a 2 night stop (mid-week). We had to attend my sister-in-law's sudden funeral, so you could say we were not likely to be in the best of spirits. However, this lovely location with its fabulous food and very helpful friendly staff did lift our spirits and made our trip seem more like a mini-break holiday than a sad farewell to a loved one. The fact that we could bring our dog too meant we didn't have the added hassle of booking kennels and extra travelling that would incur. Anyone who has pets knows that leaving them is an added trauma and we were under enough emotional strain as it was. The hotel building has a very interesting history and the staff were kind enough to show us round, including the newly refurbished areas. The function hall is just spectacular and would make a fabulous "special occasion" venue. The established gardens shield you from the fact you that you are so close to the city centre and are quite lovely even though January is not the most colourful time to view them. My husband and I have talked of returning as we both paint & draw and the whole hotel would provide a wonderful location for such activities. There were board games available in the lounge area with many comfy chairs one could relax on, giving a very "family feel" to the place. The staff also photocopied the daily crossword so my husband and I could get our daily "fix". The "full" breakfasts are amazing and although we tended to arrive close to the "end of breakfast" time we were never rushed. The evening meals were also splendid. I had the cornish mussels and they were just superb. Hubby had steak and loved that too. BE PREPARED to climb and descend a lot of stairs though! By the very nature of this being an old and interesting building which has expanded "piecemeal" over time, you will not find any slick elevators here so be prepared for some strong arm lifting & carrying of bags and equipment. We were placed at the extremes of one of the wings of the building, probably because we had our dog and they were concerned he would bark (he's too lazy for that) and disturb others, which I don't mind. If I was staying somewhere I wouldn't want to be woken by someone else's dog barking either. As a consequence we had several flights of stairs to negotiate - but I found it all quite charming and quirky. The lighting in our room was our only gripe. It is just not bright enough for my taste, although staff said we were located in one of the old, yet to be refurbished, rooms and they already knew the lighting was going to be addressed. This really is a very very small gripe though.
On our last day we took a walk (less than 10 minutes dawdle) to Truro Cathedral which I would recommend to everyone. The architecture is wonderful. The city itself has many interesting streets and several small as well as large shops.
To summarise - we will be returning which, I guess, says it all.

Room Tip: The newly refurbished rooms are stunning. They have kept the flavour of the hotel but added clean cr...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for posting such a detailed review,. I am sorry about the circumstances of which prompted your stay at The Alverton. I hope that you and your husband do visit in the future to paint and draw.
Truro
Reviewed 18 March 2013

My husband and I stayed here on the fantastic locals offer - 2 people dinner, bed and breakfast only £99! We were a little wary, as it was so cheap for what was included, but the food and service were faultless. We were lucky enough to have had an upgrade in to a refurbished room... WOW! I hear that all the rooms will be refurbished over the next few months and we will definitely return.
Thanks to the staff for making it a wonderful stay. We will see you again soon!!

Room Tip: Pay for the upgrade to have a refurbished room!
2 Thank GTrethewey
It is good to hear that locals are taking advantage of our offers and enjoying the new look and feel of the hotel.
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 March 2013

Just done a two night stay here. The staff were very friendly and professional. The rooms are fairly large but a little dark.
Some rooms just beginning to get a little tired.
On the positive this Hotel is well situated for the City Centre, plenty of parking and nicely clean.
Recommended

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
You'll be pleased to hear that the hotel is nearing the end of extensive refurbishments on the interior. If you choose to stay again look forward to a stylish and relaxing stay.
Truro, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 March 2013

What can I say? A great stay in a wonderful hotel. Staff were efficient, polite and nothing was too much trouble. Room - bright, airy and extremely comfy bed. Food was fab ... the steak cooked to perfection. Breakfast was heavenly - fruit, yogurt, pastries and full English (plus other cooked items). Will definitely stay here again - the photos of the refurbishment look great.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Louise P
Also consider these accommodations in or near Truro
Tregenna Castle Resort
The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay
The Carlyon Bay
The Carlyon Bay
#1 of 9 in St Austell

Been to The Alverton? Share your experiences!