1,085 results
All reviews alverton manor beautiful hotel bridal suite wedding venue courtyard room scallops restaurant manager main building old building bar and restaurant lovely grounds wine list waiting staff wedding reception huge bed city centre lovely room
Reviewed 11 June 2018 via mobile

Have just returned from two nights and could not have asked for more. The staff were all fantastic and friendly. Our room in the Courtyard was beautiful and very spacious. Food was excellent and when we checked in late on the Saturday they were still happy to sort us food. Will defiantly return.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
Larissa H, Guest Relations Manager at The Alverton, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2018

Dear Katy A,

Thank you for your fantastic review.

I'm delighted to hear how much you enjoyed your stay in your spacious Courtyard room and that the food was excellent and the staff were happy to help.

I look forward to welcoming you again.

Reviewed 11 June 2018

Stayed for just the one night on a spur of the moment trip to Cornwall, we were both pleasantly surprised by the Alverton, the staff were all incredibly friendly and polite and the hotel itself is really a very grand building.

Thought the suite was great, very spacious with superb views and for the most part well decorated, I would suggest though that if you're going to have light carpets don't use bleach to clean stains, either someone was murdered in there or they have a real problem with guests spilling drinks!

Spent time in the bar, which if you like your Gin or Rum they've got you covered, a great cocktail menu took care of pre-dinner drinks ;0)

The restaurant is nice, food was great value but chefs timings could be better, wife's meal was red hot while my steak was half over cooked and distinctly colder than it should be (fortunately served on a warm plate), probably would have mentioned it if the waitress had checked back but as it was we were chatting and enjoying our bottle of wine...

To sum up? this hotel, were it in St Mawes or London would be £3-500 a night and I really can't decide if I'd want them to improve the 5% necessary to charge that amount, as it stands it's a great hotel at a very impressive price.

Room Tip: avoid rooms by main stairwell, voices travel late at night and you can hear everything.
  • Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple

Dear dsmbaker,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay.

I'm pleased to read how much you liked your spacious suite, with superb views. Would you please email me your room number to larissa@thealverton.co.uk so I can check to see if a new carpet is on order for this room?

It's always nice to hear you liked the drinks menu and our bar team really do make a great cocktail.
I will let our head chef know your feedback concerning the timings of your dinner as naturally I'm disappointed to hear this but I'm pleased you found The Alverton to be a great hotel at impressive prices.

I hope to welcome you again.

Reviewed 11 June 2018

Much can be said in regards to the way hotels portray themselves online, however, it must be said that The Alverton Hotel surpassed my expectations.

I had been planning this trip for the last few weeks, wanting a romantic evening visit in which to propose to my partner. Having searched online and weighed up the options, I chose the Alverton based on previous reviews and images posted by previous guests. Having already planned out the events of the day, I called the Hotel in advance and spoke with Clare the Hotel Operations Manager to discuss what I had prepared. The enthusiasm and professional care that Clare applied to my situation was above and beyond that which I would have expected. Indeed, the whole staff were more then accommodating. I cannot fault the service at any level.

Our room was a Junior Suite in the Courtyard section of the hotel, which I was informed upon being shown the way by the very friendly & helpful Tom, that was renovated 2 years prior. With its communal lounge area downstairs and secluded courtyard the location is perfect. The room itself was immaculate, with a perfect mix of rustic & modern aspects to provide maximum comfort. It is a 1 min walk back to the hotel main section however the room and its surrounding provide a much more intimate feeling.

Before the evening meal we enjoyed a drink outside the bar which provides a stunning views of the gardens with ample seating. The staff were again faultless, allowing us to take our time to enjoy the beautiful evening while selecting our meals at which point we were shown to our table in the restaurant. We were given a delightful window seat as promised and though not a large room, the tables are perfectly spaced so as to not feel crowded. The food itself was sublime, both in presentation and execution of the whole dish. When our plates had been cleared away, and at my request, the servers bought out a cake as planned and the proposal went perfectly. The rest of the evening was spent enjoying drinks in the bar and conversing with the incredibly friendly and approachable bar staff.

In summary, for what I had wanted to be a memorable stay certainly met and far exceeded my expectations. I cannot recommend the hotel enough. A big thank you to Clare and her team for a wonderful stay.

Room Tip: Do ring up in advance if you have any special requests as nothing i requested seemed to much trouble for the wonderful staff.
  • Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Luke S

Dear Luke S,

Congratulations!

I am so happy you chose the Alverton for such a special occasion.

Clare is an asset to the team and I'm so pleased she could help plan your special moment including your large Courtyard Suite, sublime dinner and helped to make it such a memorable stay.

I look forward to welcoming you back - and don't forget we're also a great wedding venue!

Reviewed 8 June 2018 via mobile

A reservation was booked for three adults one of which was disabled. Due to the disabled requirements and my experience in reserving such holidays for family we reserved a room with a walk in shower and a bath

Upon arrival, after a six hour drive ( testing for a my disabled 75 year old mother) the room was still not ready and no arrangements were made to accommodate our needs. Disappointing and surprising for a hotel with such a rating and tariff.

Three hours later the room was ready and I popped up to see the room and further disappointment ensued. The lift was very small for a wheelchair and the room was impractical given the distance. Further to our surprise, the second bed was a sofa bed and the mattress was shockingly thin. There was no walk in shower. When I spoke with reception they advised that there were not aware that one of the guests was disabled . The reception manager offered a “bottle of bubbly” which was inappropriate failing to understand the clients vital needs.

The only option offered was to pay for a second room adding a further 500 pounds to our bill. Beyond the facade, I fail to see how the two warrant more than 1000 pounds for 4 nights. Again, no suitable rooms for disabled guests.

Due to the failure of finding a just solution, we had no other option than to find other suitable accommodation.

To add the icing on the cake, on trying to find a different hotel on my phone in the car outside the hotel we were asked to move as there was a delivery while we were parked in a disabled parking space. Truly unacceptable.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family
2  Thank Kieran K
Larissa H, Guest Relations Manager at The Alverton, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2018

Dear Kieran K,

I very much appreciate you taking the time to write this review and sharing your concerns with us.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the apparent miscommunication. We pride ourselves on being an inclusive hotel, and make every effort to ensure that all guests feel welcome. We try to accommodate every request and are very good at being clear on the make-up of a room at the time of booking, especially where there is a request for something like an additional bed. It is disappointing to read that on this occasion this may not have been the case.

I understand that the Duty Manager made every effort to meet your needs, including asking if we could help with making alternative arrangements, and I’m very sorry we weren’t able to accommodate you on this occasion. I can see the fee for the room was waivered, and despite not being able to re-let the room, it was the least we could do.

Please be assured that your feedback has been shared with the management team and action will be taken to review and improve our procedures.

I appreciate we didn't make the best first impression but if you are in the area again I'd be delighted to welcome you back to the hotel. I'd like to meet you personally to discuss how we could have done things differently for you.

If you would like to discuss your feedback further, please do contact me on larissa@thealverton.co.uk

Very best wishes

Reviewed 7 June 2018

Our visit to the Alverton was to meet up with relatives and I must say that it met all our expectations. The hotel is situated on the main road into town, but is located such that you don't actually see or hear the road at all. The Hotel is set in an old house, that on first view looks like a Church. All the staff were extremely friendly and very helpful. Our room was located in an extension to the main building right next to the large car park. The rooms were beautifully presented with everything that you could require. We ate in the Restaurant which offers very nice meals and the Breakfast was cooked to Order, served by very pleasant staff. Our room was situated in a Courtyard building, with it's own lounge, which was very pleasant and somewhat quirky, but everyone enjoyed the visit.

• Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple

Dear David P,

Thank you for your wonderful review.

I'm so pleased to hear how much you enjoyed your stay.

I hope to welcome you again.