“Seriously gone downhill .....” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mannings Hotel

Mannings Hotel
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Truro
Dorridge, United Kingdom
“Seriously gone downhill .....”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2011

I have been staying in this hotel for around 8 years, from when it used to be The Royal. I take around 2/3 trips down to Truro per year. I have always found it to be an excellent hotel with fantastic service and levels of comfort. I have even recommended it to many friends and family, who visit Truro to see my parents who relocated there.
On this visit I have been extremely disappointed with the way the hotel has gone downhill in every respect.
Upon arrival I was greeted by a very surly looking receptionist, who looked like she did not want to be there
. I was given a room that was no bigger than a shoe box, with a bathroom you could hardly move in. A wonderful view of the bins. The room was unbearably hot, the only breeze coming from a 1980's plug in air blower. The desk had cigarette burns on it, and the cups still had old coffee stains in (obviously not cleaned), and there were white ''stains'' all over the curtains.
As the room was so hot, I had to sleep with windows open, to be kept awake by the sounds of arguments and shouting out in the street.
At Breakfast you used to receive a ''cooked breakfast'' now its just continental (croissants and toast..oh and ham and cheese if you ask)... not really much choice. Unless you pay the over the odds extra for anything hot!
I booked to eat in the restaurant in the evening the food was of a good standard, however the seats being white look dirty and worn. (I was also told by the Reception team I would need to book as they were very busy) However there were only around 10 people eating when I took my seat.
Finally the hotel advertised ''free wi-fi'' in all rooms ... the signal was so weak you could only connect in the corridor and when you go back in the room its lost the signal!!
The price of this Hotel has steadily risen and risen, however the standards have dropped dramatically. I managed to get my room for £99 per night.... for what I got that was daylight robbery!
I do hope the hotel take note of complaints ... as I used to love staying here ... and always walked away happy with the view to return. This time I am not so sure.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank jdogg76

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2011

Stayed for one night recently and found the hotel generally quite acceptable.

Arrived late at night an wanted to have a quick drink with colleauges to discuss plans for the following day but despite the hotel's own guide found in the room saying that the bar remained open till midnight for residents we were kicked out just after 11. Not so welcoming.

My City Double Room whilst clean and reltively comfortable was at the back of the hotel and was quite noisy with banging in the bins etc. The double bed was in fact two singles bolted together made the night a little uncomfortable as I seemed to some gravitate towards the gap between the beds.

When trying to first leave the roomin the morning for breakfast found my way blocked by a stack of linen bundles that housekeeping had taken from the laundry room and placed directly outside my room door. Minor inconvenience but annoying all the same.

At breakfast had to ask several times to get my coffee and the newspaper I had ordered was delivered at the breakfast table rather than to my room and seemed to have been read by someone else first - at least there were crumbs amongst the rumbled pages. Call me fussy but I lik to the first to read the papers I buy.

Incidentally, the breakfast included in the room price is only a very simple continental breakfast anything else was extra.

Wi-fi whilst provided free of chargein the room was very patchy and kept dropping out.

Overall, comments above not distracting a reasonablly priced, clean modern hotel if a little quirky and noisy

• Stayed June 2011
1 Thank andyfry
High Wycombe
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2011

This is a soulless hotel with unimaginative decor. Room swipe card issued on arrival ,payment taken on departure with nothing in between. If you want city centre convenience allied to a single duvet and pillow,limited cupboard space, £6 a day for their car park,£7.50 for a cooked breakfast,one minute jar of marmalade per table,AND -would you believe .a payment of £35 to remain your room undisturbed on Sunday,then this is the hotel for you ! They have chopped a gracious Georgian building into little boxes with beds in them.

1 Thank BrianHighWycombe
Auckland Region, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2011

Overnight stay in a clean room with an excellent bed. Friendly staff. Great breakfast although you have to pay extra to upgrade to the full English breakfast, it's well worth it.

Exeter, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2011

We have stayed here a number of times over the years, and have always appreciated the management and how accommodating the staff can be. The owners have kept on ploughing
money into the hotel, improving rooms and public areas, and basically 'getting it right'. The car park is a huge bonus for a city centre hotel. We had lunch there - a good menu, and ample food. Breakfasts - well, OK, but not stunning. We thought the tariff was good value for a weekend break, and we called at short notice. All-in all, a very pleasant place to stay in Truro.

Room Tip: Request top floor - if you can climb the stairs!!
Northamptonshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2011

Ideal hotel for business or leisure. Good location. Great restaurant on site. Rooms pleasant and well equipped, including free wi-fi access. Only negative was that room was very warm and the window didn't open. Fan had been provided, but this was very noisey.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
Brighton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2011

We stayed in the apartment block, the room was large airy and very well designed . It was furnished to a very high standard everything we needed was provided, even down to hose pipe, bucket and sponge being available outside if the urge took us to wash our car.. The interior of the public spaces was chic and well thought out. We generally never eat in at the hotel we say at, on this ocassion we did WOW, the quality of the food its presentation and the subtle and professional attitude of our waitress was outstsanding.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Truro
The Alverton
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,026 reviews
The Oceanic Hotel
The Oceanic Hotel
#1 of 25 in Falmouth

Been to Mannings Hotel? Share your experiences!